ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:37 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 am
Posts: 52
Hello,

I'm looking for some in ear electronic ear pro. I have had a set of custom molded ESP's in the past. They were super expensive, finicky and made it difficult to use a duck call when I hunted with them. Another thing that sucks about custom molded ear plugs is your body is always changing so they are only good for so long. Your ear canal changes with weight fluctuations and age.

I have lost one of my ESPs and the other doesn't fit so well anymore. So I am on the search for something better. What do you guys use for clays and/or hunting? I like the idea of electric plugs so I don't have to remove them to hear people I'm shooting with on the way to the next station. I ran across Tetra Alpha Shields. They look interesting. They are not custom molded which solves the the issue of ear canal changing over time. Any thoughts?




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:18 pm
Posts: 492
Pay once cry once, ESPs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:00 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 am
Posts: 52
WAGinVA wrote:
Pay once cry once, ESPs.



I honestly thought the ESPs sucked. I had to send the left one back 3 times for repair. The sound quality left a lot to be desired also. Lots of crackling.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 1079
Location: colorado
The Westone defend ear aka cens offer the electronics in a replaceable package. This allows you to replace the silicone ear PCs independent of the electronics. Helps with body/ ear canal changes due to age or weight change. Also If you decide you can sell them as other people can buy ear pieces for their ears.

Can be ordered through a audiologist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:58 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 am
Posts: 52
slotracer577 wrote:
The Westone defend ear aka cens offer the electronics in a replaceable package. This allows you to replace the silicone ear PCs independent of the electronics. Helps with body/ ear canal changes due to age or weight change. Also If you decide you can sell them as other people can buy ear pieces for their ears.

Can be ordered through a audiologist.


Interesting. I'll check them out. Thank you!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:56 am
Posts: 341
Best protection and speech hearing solution at present is also one of the cheapest. Plain old foam plugs for best protection. For hearing speech get the Walker’s Raptor bone conduction amplifiers. They send the moderated sound through your face bones, not into your ears, so that the sound doesn’t get blocked by the ear plugs. And the sound is moderated to eliminate the dangerous levels. The combination costs under $200 and it REALLY works.

Get 33-34 NRR foam plugs for almost no money. Learn to roll them into tight cones to go deep into your ear canal and swell up to fill it and block the sound effectively. Then you are protected. The Raptor will do the rest. You owe it to yourself to try this relatively new approach.

Cheaper bone conduction devices are available on Amazon. I just can’t speak to their quality.

Oh, and the Raptors don’t touch the gun. No fouling like with muffs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:22 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 am
Posts: 52
friend of a friend wrote:
Best protection and speech hearing solution at present is also one of the cheapest. Plain old foam plugs for best protection. For hearing speech get the Walker’s Raptor bone conduction amplifiers. They send the moderated sound through your face bones, not into your ears, so that the sound doesn’t get blocked by the ear plugs. And the sound is moderated to eliminate the dangerous levels. The combination costs under $200 and it REALLY works.

Get 33-34 NRR foam plugs for almost no money. Learn to roll them into tight cones to go deep into your ear canal and swell up to fill it and block the sound effectively. Then you are protected. The Raptor will do the rest. You owe it to yourself to try this relatively new approach.

Cheaper bone conduction devices are available on Amazon. I just can’t speak to their quality.

Oh, and the Raptors don’t touch the gun. No fouling like with muffs.


I have seen those. I only read a few reviews which seemed very mixed. Maybe I should look into them a little more. Would you say these are best for hearing speech? I'm guessing hearing trap machines or duck wings from a distance is not ideal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:47 pm 
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:56 am
Posts: 341
Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
friend of a friend wrote:
Best protection and speech hearing solution at present is also one of the cheapest. Plain old foam plugs for best protection. For hearing speech get the Walker’s Raptor bone conduction amplifiers. They send the moderated sound through your face bones, not into your ears, so that the sound doesn’t get blocked by the ear plugs. And the sound is moderated to eliminate the dangerous levels. The combination costs under $200 and it REALLY works.

Get 33-34 NRR foam plugs for almost no money. Learn to roll them into tight cones to go deep into your ear canal and swell up to fill it and block the sound effectively. Then you are protected. The Raptor will do the rest. You owe it to yourself to try this relatively new approach.

Cheaper bone conduction devices are available on Amazon. I just can’t speak to their quality.

Oh, and the Raptors don’t touch the gun. No fouling like with muffs.


I have seen those. I only read a few reviews which seemed very mixed. Maybe I should look into them a little more. Would you say these are best for hearing speech? I'm guessing hearing trap machines or duck wings from a distance is not ideal.

I will let you judge for yourself. I can hear the machine. I can hear the wheels of my push cart on the ground. I get extremely good noise reduction with my plugs. I was in industry for decades and learned to install plugs as they were designed to be used. I can’t hear anything with my plugs in. Muffs can’t penetrate the plugs. But the Raptors go around the plugs. Most protective plugs with speech amplification can only work because they don’t really block the noise very well. They let the speech in. Properly inserted plugs don’t. So the speech sound has to go around. It can’t go through. Bone conduction is the answer. If you can’t hear what you want with Raptors, you surely couldn’t with any other system.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:18 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 am
Posts: 52
friend of a friend wrote:
Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
friend of a friend wrote:
Best protection and speech hearing solution at present is also one of the cheapest. Plain old foam plugs for best protection. For hearing speech get the Walker’s Raptor bone conduction amplifiers. They send the moderated sound through your face bones, not into your ears, so that the sound doesn’t get blocked by the ear plugs. And the sound is moderated to eliminate the dangerous levels. The combination costs under $200 and it REALLY works.

Get 33-34 NRR foam plugs for almost no money. Learn to roll them into tight cones to go deep into your ear canal and swell up to fill it and block the sound effectively. Then you are protected. The Raptor will do the rest. You owe it to yourself to try this relatively new approach.

Cheaper bone conduction devices are available on Amazon. I just can’t speak to their quality.

Oh, and the Raptors don’t touch the gun. No fouling like with muffs.


I have seen those. I only read a few reviews which seemed very mixed. Maybe I should look into them a little more. Would you say these are best for hearing speech? I'm guessing hearing trap machines or duck wings from a distance is not ideal.

I will let you judge for yourself. I can hear the machine. I can hear the wheels of my push cart on the ground. I get extremely good noise reduction with my plugs. I was in industry for decades and learned to install plugs as they were designed to be used. I can’t hear anything with my plugs in. Muffs can’t penetrate the plugs. But the Raptors go around the plugs. Most protective plugs with speech amplification can only work because they don’t really block the noise very well. They let the speech in. Properly inserted plugs don’t. So the speech sound has to go around. It can’t go through. Bone conduction is the answer. If you can’t hear what you want with Raptors, you surely couldn’t with any other system.


Thank you for the detailed reply. I also put my foam ear plugs in until they touch my brain so I can't hear anything with them in. Muffs are a no go for me as well. I'll look into the bone conduction a little more.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:30 am
Posts: 8
slotracer577 wrote:
The Westone defend ear aka cens offer the electronics in a replaceable package. This allows you to replace the silicone ear PCs independent of the electronics. Helps with body/ ear canal changes due to age or weight change. Also If you decide you can sell them as other people can buy ear pieces for their ears.

Can be ordered through a audiologist.


+1 for the Westone Defendear. I recently got a custom fitted pair of the Digital X3 model. At $1,000 they were $600 less than the $1,600 ESP Elite Digital, with features that seem to fall between the ESP Elite Digital and the $2,100 ESP Stealth. So far, so great. Comfortable, easy to operate with memory that automatically defaults to last settings - even if batteries are removed.

Specs here: https://www.westone.com/store/defendear ... digitalx-3

Good luck!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:56 am 
Limited Edition

Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:56 am
Posts: 341
Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
friend of a friend wrote:
Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
friend of a friend wrote:
Best protection and speech hearing solution at present is also one of the cheapest. Plain old foam plugs for best protection. For hearing speech get the Walker’s Raptor bone conduction amplifiers. They send the moderated sound through your face bones, not into your ears, so that the sound doesn’t get blocked by the ear plugs. And the sound is moderated to eliminate the dangerous levels. The combination costs under $200 and it REALLY works.

Get 33-34 NRR foam plugs for almost no money. Learn to roll them into tight cones to go deep into your ear canal and swell up to fill it and block the sound effectively. Then you are protected. The Raptor will do the rest. You owe it to yourself to try this relatively new approach.

Cheaper bone conduction devices are available on Amazon. I just can’t speak to their quality.

Oh, and the Raptors don’t touch the gun. No fouling like with muffs.


I have seen those. I only read a few reviews which seemed very mixed. Maybe I should look into them a little more. Would you say these are best for hearing speech? I'm guessing hearing trap machines or duck wings from a distance is not ideal.

I will let you judge for yourself. I can hear the machine. I can hear the wheels of my push cart on the ground. I get extremely good noise reduction with my plugs. I was in industry for decades and learned to install plugs as they were designed to be used. I can’t hear anything with my plugs in. Muffs can’t penetrate the plugs. But the Raptors go around the plugs. Most protective plugs with speech amplification can only work because they don’t really block the noise very well. They let the speech in. Properly inserted plugs don’t. So the speech sound has to go around. It can’t go through. Bone conduction is the answer. If you can’t hear what you want with Raptors, you surely couldn’t with any other system.


Thank you for the detailed reply. I also put my foam ear plugs in until they touch my brain so I can't hear anything with them in. Muffs are a no go for me as well. I'll look into the bone conduction a little more.

Not to belabor, but I should also mention the Raptors have Bluetooth for listening to music, etc. and also are rechargeable. No batteries. I just plug them into my power plug in the car on the way to shoot. Always topped off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:01 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 am
Posts: 52
Thanks for the replies. I will take a look at all of these.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:48 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 am
Posts: 52
Rob02655 wrote:
slotracer577 wrote:
The Westone defend ear aka cens offer the electronics in a replaceable package. This allows you to replace the silicone ear PCs independent of the electronics. Helps with body/ ear canal changes due to age or weight change. Also If you decide you can sell them as other people can buy ear pieces for their ears.

Can be ordered through a audiologist.


+1 for the Westone Defendear. I recently got a custom fitted pair of the Digital X3 model. At $1,000 they were $600 less than the $1,600 ESP Elite Digital, with features that seem to fall between the ESP Elite Digital and the $2,100 ESP Stealth. So far, so great. Comfortable, easy to operate with memory that automatically defaults to last settings - even if batteries are removed.

Specs here: https://www.westone.com/store/defendear ... digitalx-3

Good luck!


How do the Westones do with wind noise?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:48 pm 
Diamond Grade

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:37 pm
Posts: 1079
Location: colorado
Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
Rob02655 wrote:
slotracer577 wrote:
The Westone defend ear aka cens offer the electronics in a replaceable package. This allows you to replace the silicone ear PCs independent of the electronics. Helps with body/ ear canal changes due to age or weight change. Also If you decide you can sell them as other people can buy ear pieces for their ears.

Can be ordered through a audiologist.


+1 for the Westone Defendear. I recently got a custom fitted pair of the Digital X3 model. At $1,000 they were $600 less than the $1,600 ESP Elite Digital, with features that seem to fall between the ESP Elite Digital and the $2,100 ESP Stealth. So far, so great. Comfortable, easy to operate with memory that automatically defaults to last settings - even if batteries are removed.

Specs here: https://www.westone.com/store/defendear ... digitalx-3

Good luck!


How do the Westones do with wind noise?


Not bad, but like all microphones with an amplifier it can be present. I have not kept up with the product in the last few years, but some of the programs offered are better than others. They may offer better programs now than they did 6 years ago.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:30 am
Posts: 8
Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
Rob02655 wrote:
slotracer577 wrote:
The Westone defend ear aka cens offer the electronics in a replaceable package. This allows you to replace the silicone ear PCs independent of the electronics. Helps with body/ ear canal changes due to age or weight change. Also If you decide you can sell them as other people can buy ear pieces for their ears.

Can be ordered through a audiologist.


+1 for the Westone Defendear. I recently got a custom fitted pair of the Digital X3 model. At $1,000 they were $600 less than the $1,600 ESP Elite Digital, with features that seem to fall between the ESP Elite Digital and the $2,100 ESP Stealth. So far, so great. Comfortable, easy to operate with memory that automatically defaults to last settings - even if batteries are removed.

Specs here: https://www.westone.com/store/defendear ... digitalx-3

Good luck!


How do the Westones do with wind noise?


I had my new Defendears out in the wind for the first time today, and didn’t notice any noise from it. I’ve been very happy with them!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:31 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:22 am
Posts: 52
Rob02655 wrote:
Johnnyhonda440 wrote:
Rob02655 wrote:
slotracer577 wrote:
The Westone defend ear aka cens offer the electronics in a replaceable package. This allows you to replace the silicone ear PCs independent of the electronics. Helps with body/ ear canal changes due to age or weight change. Also If you decide you can sell them as other people can buy ear pieces for their ears.

Can be ordered through a audiologist.


+1 for the Westone Defendear. I recently got a custom fitted pair of the Digital X3 model. At $1,000 they were $600 less than the $1,600 ESP Elite Digital, with features that seem to fall between the ESP Elite Digital and the $2,100 ESP Stealth. So far, so great. Comfortable, easy to operate with memory that automatically defaults to last settings - even if batteries are removed.

Specs here: https://www.westone.com/store/defendear ... digitalx-3

Good luck!


How do the Westones do with wind noise?


I had my new Defendears out in the wind for the first time today, and didn’t notice any noise from it. I’ve been very happy with them!


Sounds good. Thanks for the input.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:49 pm
Posts: 863
Location: Boston Area
I got the Soundgear instant fit when they had a $150 off deal. They are owned by a hearing aid company. They block the gun noise and amplify speech up to 15x

_________________
JerseyJim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:04 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:02 pm
Posts: 49
Location: Tampa, FL
Maybe a silly question.....can any of these nice models be covered by Insurance or anything like that?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:22 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:49 pm
Posts: 863
Location: Boston Area
Doubt that.

_________________
JerseyJim


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: In Ear Electronic Ear Pro
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:22 pm
Posts: 11073
Location: Athens,TX.
FLGator wrote:
Maybe a silly question.....can any of these nice models be covered by Insurance or anything like that?


Why not ask your insurance agent?? Instead of here :?



_________________
Jerry

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 16dogs, 2lo8s, AJ-M12, al1969brown, Alvan, amboy49, Bankerwill, Banshee, bfre49849, bigbluedodge, Bing [Bot], Blockcaver, Brooksy08, Bustsducks, Byron Whitlock, cleboje, Dano523, DesertMuleDeer, dickgtax, doppelflinten, DUKFVR, fullgallon, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Hal4son, hammontw, Harborcat, henrims, Holyjoe60, Hwcn, jeffreyk, Joe Hunter, John Henry, JOHN7069, jtf650, Keperkey, KM4BS, kyskeet, leftex, longliner, Lumberjack98, macrae3454, Majestic-12 [Bot], Mike916, mpolans, NailNinja, Novak77, NuJudge, oyeme, painter*, Paul D. Heppner, Rack-N-Roy, Remduck1, Rockett0, Rooster booster, rosewood, S.davis, shootandfish2, Skeet_Man, smkilcz59, SnowRider1, soupsandwich, Stk218, T.karp90, Terrapin, Tidefanatic, Tom Bryant, upland refugee, Westender, Xftrplt


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice