CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best auto trap thrower ???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

do all Aerial Assault or
Champion easybird?

and why

Love my country, but fear the Government

Post subject: Re: best auto trap thrower ???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:40 pm 
Limited Edition

lots of threads about these traps in the general clay sports forum (not the skeet/trap/sporting clays specific ones)

I had two champions die before I tossed a grand total of 15 targets.

So I went with Atlas and have no regrets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Got a champion easy-bird for Christmas and I've had it out a few times (~450 targets) with only a couple hang-ups. I was using a bunch of odd-ball targets anywhere from 30+ years old to Blue Rocks, to whatever they had at Walmart, though. The only thing I would change is having the release cord detachable instead of permanently attached, but I suppose I could fix that with a hatchet.

There is no such thing as hard targets, only targets above our ability. -- Jimmy Muller

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

thanks guys I'm looking into the atlas one too

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Here are my experiences with Do-All Aerial Assault:

Have had mine for maybe 4+ years. Mine arrived undamaged but I gather that many do not. Upon assembly (easy) it was obvious that it was a piece of Chinese junk. Even their DVD with assembly instructions tell you that you may have to bend things to fit.

After assembly it smashed about half of the clays. It also would not throw a clay at an angle of greater than about 20 degrees up from flat. I made a replica of their loader in my shop and figured out that I had to re-grind the sides of the openings, move the shutter and the brush-like clay holder. After all that it began to work a lot better.

The manufacture is VERY crude and I needed to get a replacement electrical system (but company sent it right away). Then a relay went but the auto parts store had a comparable one.

The machine has worked OK for the past couple of years and I've thrown thousands of clays with it.

I made a new base for it and put it on a piece of plywood with casters. It is easy for me to roll it up two ramps into the side door of my Toyota van singlehanded. (the trap weighs about 70 pounds). If I had a pickup I'd keep it on the bed and throw from there. One of the best things about this trap the way I have it configured now is that I can use it single-handed and I often go to the range very early in the morning and shoot alone for a few hours. Then I just wheel it up my aluminum ramps (from the local scrap metal yard) into my van and I'm off.

The radio-control remote is wonderful! It's great fun to have the trap throw clays at me from 30 yards away!

There is a wobble available for it but if I added that I couldn't fit the trap into my van (too high). Again, if I had a pick-up I might get it.

About every one in 30 or so clays still get jammed or broken but I've gotten so I'll live with it.

I do not think the trap is worth the suggested retail price. If I had to pay that I would get an atlas. But, it's heavily discounted and that makes it reasonable.

I'm still on the original marine battery and can throw clays all afternoon without running out of juice.

There are many design glitches, such as the arm that sticks out and is delicate and the difficulty of de-cocking it but the biggest problem is with the crappy Chinese manufacturing.

If you are willing to futz with it, the Aerial Assault might be the most cost-effective trap.

Read the reviews it got on Cabellas. Some are obviously factory ringers but overall you'll get a feel for the machine's reliability.

Overall, with a lot of work, I give it a sort-of "thumbs-up"

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:44 pm 
Presentation Grade

I first owned the DA and then switched to the CE. If you compare the two side by side you would not be asking this question. I am sure they both are good to a point but I will have to say that hands down the CE is a much better built unit. Until you compare them side by side it would be hard to understand the difference.
My CE has thrown several thousands without a mechanical flaw. The only thing that I learned with it is it will tell you the battery does not have enough juice by breaking the breaker. I have mine sitting in the bed of my truck and when its time to shoot I just run it out of the back of my truck. Its quick and easy.My kids have flat whore it out.

Last edited by goose2 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Just looked at it online and it looks nice - does it have a wireless remote?

It's SxS, DT splinter/English for me!
Shotguns speak in many voices and fortunate are those of us who hear more than one.
May God bless our Union.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

+1 for Atlas. I went through 4 Do Alls and finally gave up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

We have 3 Champions (not Easybirds) and one Atlas. Have had excellent factory support from both. The Champions have had less problems. The new Atlas have all the improvments we had to change on ours. Natchez Shooters Supply has Easybirds on sale for $299.00 and Champion sends you a rebate of $50.00. You can't expect to get any kind of an auto trap for much less.
Tom;

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:21 am 
Presentation Grade

Could someone please post the atlas website..alll I can find is dealers. thanks!

Citori 12
Citori 20
7..1100's
Charles Daly 12
Ithaca 37 16
Ithaca 37 20

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

here you go

http://www.atlastraps.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

SOOOOO.

The question I have is:

How hard would it be to set up two of these EC machine's in a "back yard" Skeet environment?

Would it be simple enough to wire the releases just like you would normally wire a 3 button release system?

I'm wanting to set up a practice skeet range at home without spending a fortune.

Texas in the Winter
Texas in the Summer

NSSA#: 230827
OSSA#:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:48 am 
Presentation Grade

While I'm at it, do you happen to know the Laporte website? the one I keep finding is in french.. :lol:

Citori 12
Citori 20
7..1100's
Charles Daly 12
Ithaca 37 16
Ithaca 37 20

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:58 am 
Tournament Grade

The come prewired with a release . 25' to 100' depending on what model you buy. If thats not long enough you just add more cord.(16ga lamp wire)If you want a wireless, they sell plug in models to control one or two traps. 300' range.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:59 pm 
Utility Grade

tdnathens wrote:
We have 3 Champions (not Easybirds) and one Atlas. Have had excellent factory support from both. The Champions have had less problems. The new Atlas have all the improvments we had to change on ours. Natchez Shooters Supply has Easybirds on sale for $299.00 and Champion sends you a rebate of $50.00. You can't expect to get any kind of an auto trap for much less.
Tom;

Here's a link to the EasyBird on the Natchez site. Searching there didn't pop it up, I had to wander a bit:

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?cont ... D=CM409101

btw, watch out for shipping costs. That's a heckofa price with the rebate, but it's gonna be almost $100 to get one to me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

If you're looking for a good piece of equipment at a moderate price...

I have the Champion SST - 3 years, zero problems. I know it's quite pricey (around $1100) compared to the other Champion model but I've not talked to anyone who regretted the purchase.

It doesn't matter if it's your backyard or the local club. If it doesn't work, it's a nuisance. My SST will work, today, tomorrow, next week and I'd bet you, next year.

I have a friend that bought the Atlas from Cabelas a couple years ago. I've shot over it... a lot... it works... today, tomorrow and he'd probably bet you it'll work next year. He has not added a wobble or oscillating base - but probably will. It's the first thing you want after you get an automatic trap...

Get a good thrower.

Now honestly, I couldn't bring myself to spend the dollars on their (Champion's) wobble attachment/oscillating base combo for the SST. In lieu of building my own, I bought the Do-All version and made an adapter "plate" from 3/4 plywood so I could mount the SST on top - Guess what?...Two Years... countless clays...no problems - it works - a lot - we're ordering bio-degradeable clays so the farm doesn't look like the skeet field...consider all it does is move the target thrower up and down and from side to side. Not exactly difficult - I can make every part except the little dc motor, so cheap is fine. If it were to break, we can shoot without the wobble.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

When your on the Natchez site just add the thrower to your cart. It will then show you shipping cost to your zip. You do not have to register. It's $41.00 to myself, depends on your location. They only have one left as of 4:45 PM eastern.
Tom;

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:16 am 
Utility Grade

Love the Aerial Assault. Just had the motor / gear box assembly totally croak and come apart. So I emailed the Do-All factory. They have immediately responded by email to all my needs and questions. Great responses on the warranties. No questions asked, just more than willing and able to help out with the mechanical components. I have used this machine over the last year and literally thrown 1,000 birds with a break about every 30 birds but I think that is actually the bird was damaged before launch. The machine is pretty heavy duty and mounts beautiful in the back of my golf cart which also supplies the power. No question, best thrower for the money on the market. Get in touch with Shana Abernathy email = shana@do-alltraps.com SHE IS BEYOND BELIEF HELPFUL AND MORE THAN COMPETENT. All in all, do NOT hesitate to get one of these things for the kids / hubby / or whomever for Christmas. You will need to be able to tweak and twitz with it a little to start and watch the throwing arm doesn't get bent during transport (ALWAYS unload the spring and rotate the arm away, been there and done that!!!) but it is the greatest and very durable. I am afraid my shotguns and kids will wear out before it gives up!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:05 am 
Field Grade

i had an easybird and i sold and bought the do all double thrower. the easybird was junk nother but trouble next battery one will be doall or atlas

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:30 am 
Presentation Grade

I have 2 Laporte 12v throwers and a Atlas 12v thrower..IMO all 3 are very well built machines, the Laportes were about twice the price of the Atlas. I used the Atlas weekly..200-500 throws per week depending on how many kids show up to practice. :wink:

Citori 12
Citori 20
7..1100's
Charles Daly 12
Ithaca 37 16
Ithaca 37 20