Shotgun Forum banner

What is a good pump action shotgun for trap shootin?

8K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  shogan191 
#1 ·
yes im a rookie and cant quite find enough info. lookin for a shotgun that is under $400, 12 gauge, pump action and is not a remmington 870 cause my brother has one. i figured id come here first cause some1 did recommend the stevens field/security combo or the mossberg field/security. it would b nice to have somethin for home defense too but lookin more for a trap gun

#2 ·
First your brother is shooting the most popular shotgun made in America the Remington 870. You should consider one as the price is within your budget and you would be on a level playing field should you and he shoot together.

Second you need to be shooting trap with a gun having least a 28" barrel not bad guys in the hallway with a home defense 20" barrel shotgun. The 870 will work for home defense just keep out of tight spots. Buy the insurance from NRA to cover lawyer fees should you actually have to defend your butt cause that's the way the system works. Shoot well, whatever it is you shoot......

TM

#3 ·
Check-out the Mossberg 500 dual combo. For $369 (BassPro) you get a good, durable shotgun with a 28" barrel for trap and a 24' barrel you can easilty swap out for home defense.

Here's what I took off BP'S website:

"The Mossberg 500 Dual Comb Combo 12 Gauge w/24" Rifled and 28" Vent Rib Barrel Shotgun is a pump action shotgun that offers an incredibly diverse variety of hunting and shooting configurations. This 12 gauge has a 3'' chamber, comes with accu-set of chokes, fully bored, 4 + 1 capacity, and wood stock. Also features a Lightning Pump Action (LPA) Adjustable Trigger System. Twin bead on shotgun barrel with integral scope base on rifle barrel. Blued finish. Comes with two combs for customized setup and shooting comfort."

It's a good, reliable shotgun for the money.

#4 ·
I shot a Winchester 12 a few weeks ago. Great shotgun. Well balanced, solid construction/action and was pretty easy to break down and clean (once I had done it once of course). It had a full choke barrel and the clays vaporized, which was nice since I usually used an improved or modified cylinder and they just don't break as nice.
I believe the model I used was a trap version, but the standard 12 can be found in your price range. Very impressive pump and fun as hell to shoot. Also look at a used BPS- quality is going to cost you more of course.
As a personal preference, my 28" barrel is fine for the home. I'm not going to play SWAT in the house, just shoot and change my drawers if (God forbid) it ever happens :)

#5 ·
If not a WINGMASTER! :eek:
I suppose about anything else with a 28"+ barrel will do fine.
Mossberg combo,BPS.....
Only pump I own or need is My Wingmaster with 18.5"impcyl., 28"fixed mod, and 30" Remchoke barrels. Buy what fits ya and have a blast.
Welcome to the best shotgun forum on the web......

B.

#6 ·
If you gotta have a "classic" pump then look for a gently used Winchester 12 or Remington 31. You will have all the "old timers" saying "ooh" and "aah" when they see it. For a more modern gun that is not an 870 then consider the Browning BPS Trap model. I know its a bottom feeder but its popular with some trap shooters even still. What grade of 870 does your brother have? You could find a nicer, higher grade Wingmaster (even a real Trap model) is you look hard enough. Mossbergs are alright, they will go "bang", they can break targets, they are just not "classy" though...

#11 ·
yah know what, if every1 agrees that the benelli super nova is a good choice or even just a benelli nova, im willing to spend the extra coin. so should i do it? also i dont know if this is true or not but i was told that its harder and not ideal to aim with a 2 bead system. So should i get something with 2 beads or 1?

#13 ·
While I agree that the Benelli's are not trap guns, I think you should find a pump that feels good in your hands and on your shoulder, buy it, and go shoot some trap.
There will be plenty of time to decide on a "real" trap gun...if that's what you end up wanting...and buy it before trap completely disappears from America.

( :mrgreen: Sorry, but I could not resist....)

#15 ·
ok, no prob. i should prob get a mossberg or a stevens then cause i have shot those b4. i like the way they both handle and feel. i jus wasnt sure if maybe i should get somethin else. and what about the beads on the gun? should i find something with one or the other?

#17 ·
As previously noted, the Winchester Model 12 was for many years the gold standard for a pump trap gun. Many believe that it still is. In good used condition, they can be picked up for a very reasonable price. Unique to these fine old guns is the fact that there are numerous adjustments that can be made to compensate for wear and thus prolong the life of the gun. Add to the fact that good model 12s tend to hold their value rather well, it makes a hard combination to beat. Look on used gun sites and you will find a number of model 12s for sale that were manufactured in the 1950s and even pre WW II all the way back to the earliest production. This is a testament to their durability and continued desirability. Few other brands and models can claim continued popularity of this level.

#18 ·
casonet said:
As previously noted, the Winchester Model 12 was for many years the gold standard for a pump trap gun. Many believe that it still is. In good used condition, they can be picked up for a very reasonable price. Unique to these fine old guns is the fact that there are numerous adjustments that can be made to compensate for wear and thus prolong the life of the gun. Add to the fact that good model 12s tend to hold their value rather well, it makes a hard combination to beat. Look on used gun sites and you will find a number of model 12s for sale that were manufactured in the 1950s and even pre WW II all the way back to the earliest production. This is a testament to their durability and continued desirability. Few other brands and models can claim continued popularity of this level.
thats good then cause i already own a m1200 but i dont like the old school look of it. im more into the modern look but im willing to sacrifice that for quality

#19 ·
italius2222 said:
casonet said:
thats good then cause i already own a m1200 but i dont like the old school look of it. im more into the modern look but im willing to sacrifice that for quality
that 1200 will do just fine for recreational trap too....

#20 ·
italius222:

I started with the Mossberg 500 12ga pump with a 28" and an 18.5" barrel. Even hit 3 or 4-25's in trap with it before I started reloading and moving up to an O/U a while later. They are currently on sale for $289.00 at Big 5 sporting goods. Now I keep the 18.5" barrel on and switched it to a pistol grip/buttstock and I have my tactical shotgun!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.