CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When to start shooting registered targets?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I started shooting trap a few months ago but to date have not shot any registered targets. Most of my time has been spent learning the game and my scores have improved. I shot my first 25 straight last week and consistently shoot in the 20's.

With spring and summer around the corner I have also begun to eye upcoming shoots in my area (NJ/PA) and beyond. I have also joined the ATA.

What advice would you give regarding what I believe is the next step in my shooting: registered targets? I know of a few clubs in the area where I can shoot registered.

How many should I shoot?
What should be my goal?
Any other advice?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: When to start shooting registered targets?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Now is the time.

Just go to the local shoots. They will have a regular program set up. Just sign up for what you feel comfortable with.

The first shoot will be a little overwhelming. There is a lot going on and the pace may seem a little faster than you are used to. Still, it's good experience and you can't get it anywhere else.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

You sound ready to me. Your goal is simple. Break the target for which you are about to call. Everything else will take care of itself. Shoot as much as you like and can afford. If you are shooting and miss, do not get down. The other guys are missing too.

If you want to get better, you actually have to practice with a purpose. To get good, you have to work harder than 95% of the other guys. If you don't, you won't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:51 pm 
Diamond Grade

Shooting registered targets is a great way to learn.Being that you're just starting out there will be others there that can and will help you to become a better shooter.

And it's fun,a great way to make new friends.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Ah, the first 25 straight reaction.

If you are now wondering if you should shoot competitive trap, the answer is "Yes". If that's what you want do do and you think you'll enjoy it, go right ahead.

My only advice is go there to have fun, not win. Your 25 straights will pale in comparison to the guys & gals shooting next to you who shoot 100 straights on a regular basis. Go there to learn, to shoot, but most importantly, enjoy yourself. Eventually you may become an outstanding shooter, but that's going to take time and lots of money.

Have fun, but don't take yourself too seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice post Griz. Well said.

“Endeavor to clear your mind of can't.” - Francis P. Church

Col 4:6
Hate the ads? Become a Bonus Member, click here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:25 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

GrizzlyAlan wrote:

If you are now wondering if you should shoot competitive trap, the answer is "Yes". If that's what you want do do and you think you'll enjoy it, go right ahead.

My only advice is go there to have fun, not win. Your 25 straights will pale in comparison to the guys & gals shooting next to you who shoot 100 straights on a regular basis. Go there to learn, to shoot, but most importantly, enjoy yourself. Eventually you may become an outstanding shooter, but that's going to take time and lots of money.

Amen to that statement.

Registered shooting is about measuring your skills, bigger and better competition, opportunty to shoot more targets at bigger events, association with like-minded people, and recording your scores for a lifetime. Most all trapshooting of traditional games is under ATA rules, registered or not. Clubs endorse ATA rules to operate with.

Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:10 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
registering birds happens when you think youre good enough and you think you have a chance to beat everyone around you.

and, when you have enough spendable income to throw it away when you dont....grasshopper.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

GrizzlyAlan wrote:

Not so much a reaction to the 25 straight but more a response to the game itself.

Great advice, especially the "have fun" part.

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For your first registered shoot I would recommend that you set your goal at ONLY shooting the 100 singles. Do not shoot the CAPS or the DOUBLES.
Leave those for future shoots after you get a feel for a day of ATA targets.
Others may tell you to shoot all the events, but that can be along tiring day.
My first shoot was my state shoot and I shot only the singles,but it being a state shoot there were 200 of them....Long day! Until you get use to it.

Have Fun and Enjoy!

Defense League, Inc
http://www.ccdl.us

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:34 pm 
Limited Edition

I use and encourage registering of targets as training tool and measuring device for the practice we shoot. If you can, start registering targets at smaller "targets-only" events... build some "known ability" without the distractions of trophy competition and/or the assessment of penalties for having little or no target count.

Take a sampling on a regular basis to document and measure your progress (average) in whatever events you choose (singles, handicap and/or doubles)...

As was said, first and foremost, have fun!

Best of luck,

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:14 am 
Limited Edition

If you are in the SEPA area you should really look into maybe joining a non ATA sponsered league such as the federation shoot, or some local clubs that have summer leagues etc. It is a nice way to ease your way into competetion shooting on a lower level. Also there is a wide variety of shooters. While it is not as competetive in respects to the ATA shoots, in some of the leagues they basically class you on your abilities based upon say your first 3-4 shoots. Most leagues shoot 50 bird programs and cost $10-20 a week depending on lewis payouts etc. I know my local club souderton-harleysville, out summer league is pretty basic, we shoot 10 weeks count the best 6 of 10 scores and you can make up scores. It is about $13 a week and there is weekly payouts for 4 classes. It is open to the public, shoot me a PM and I can pass along some other summer leagues that are local.