It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Semi Auto Ettiquette
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Can't exactly say I have any complaints about flying hulls. I feel it's just one of those things that's expected at a gun range and you deal with it. You know, like muzzle report. As someone who's had hot brass from an AK fly into his t-shirt, I'd take plastic hulls over that anyday of the week!

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"You don't seriously think a Conservative mind can chart a new course for the world, do you?" - Jack Krauser

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:45 am 
Crown Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
It is easy. Many (most) autoloaders eject forward.

But not all, and none of them do it every time.
A hard right target, taken out a bit further than usual, will have most any autoloader ejecting its empty towards the shooter on the right. I've seen it (and felt it) too many times.
When it does happen, I offer suggestions to them after the round is over, explaining what is happening since they seldom are aware of what their empties are doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:27 pm 
Field Grade

For Spartazoo,
Steer clear of the Remington Versa Max, we had to pull a kid off the line at a state shoot one year as it was hitting people in the head and neck area 2 and 3 stations away. Parents started arguing with the management and almost got thrown out. After the first round everybody else walked off and asked to be re-squadded. Wouldn't have been so bad, but the kid and his parents had been warned about it at a previous shoot a few weeks prior.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:40 pm 
Field Grade

I don't know about the Versa Max, but shell catchers work just fine for a wide range of semi-autos. I'm hard-pressed to understand why a competitive shooter, knowing the importance of concentration-sparing courtesy wouldn't have one. I bought a Birchwood Casey Save-It the same day that I ordered my Benelli M2. Works great. I don't bother anyone else on the line, and I don't have to go back later to pick up my shells, though I usually help my friends who have sprinkled theirs all over the place.