It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where has everyone gone?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have been away for a while and just in the past few months have gotten back into shooting once again............this use to be a very active forum and now I find it hard pressed to find any new topics to respond too.
I have had over 1300 posts over the years and now find it hard to post to almost anything new.
Has the sport died in the few years I have been away or did we loose a lot of the guys who use to post on a regular basis.
salesrep

Post subject: Re: Where has everyone gone?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:06 am 
Limited Edition

Maybe everyone went to Florida, to get away from the deepfreeze.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:59 am 
Crown Grade

Do you participate on trapshooters.com? If not, you might check them out, too. That is an active website for trap-related discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I've noticed the same thing. I wonder if it is because the posters are the same old group and have posted most of what they have to say. The trap shooter's forum is really quiet most of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:08 pm 
Crown Grade

SGW has a VERY active discussion on shotgun reloading, at least IMHO better than trapshooters.com. However, there does seem to be a lot more new posts and active discussion of general trap shooting on TS.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:28 pm 
Diamond Grade

Not much activity on the skeet or sporting clays forums either.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Not much activity because there isn't much activity.
This time of year, much (most?) of the country is experiencing the biannual "climate change"...and low temps take much of the fun out of the clays sports.

Last edited by mudpack on Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:20 am 
Diamond Grade

So how do we get it going again............as I said, I have been away from the shooting scene for a while, but are we seeing a decline in shooters over the past few years?
Are they going to Sporting Clay's or other games?
Trap clubs were usually crowded when I use to shoot and since I have gotten back into the sport, I have witnessed a decline in shooters?
Has the ATA said anything about the number of shooters participating, now as in previous years?
I believe like in other sports, the younger generation just does not want nor have the time to participate...........would like to hear what others out there are saying and their thoughts on the subject.
Thanks,
salesrep

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

salesrep wrote:
So how do we get it going again............as I said, I have been away from the shooting scene for a while, but are we seeing a decline in shooters over the past few years?
Are they going to Sporting Clay's or other games?
Trap clubs were usually crowded when I use to shoot and since I have gotten back into the sport, I have witnessed a decline in shooters?
Has the ATA said anything about the number of shooters participating, now as in previous years?
I believe like in other sports, the younger generation just does not want nor have the time to participate...........would like to hear what others out there are saying and their thoughts on the subject.
Thanks,
salesrep

As a young shooter my self (23), its not about the time, or want, its the cost for me. It adds up fast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

I spend more time reading then I do posting. I love to read.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

So has there been a decline in ATA shooters.........I don't shoot ATA, so I can't answer that question.I just enjoy going with a bunch of guys and having a little fun on Wednesday and Sunday mornings.
I have even noticed that at my club, there has been a drop off in shooters, so I am assuming the same goes for ATA shoots.
I am sure that increase in cost has kept some guys away from going as much as they use to.When I first started shooting, shells were $4.00 a box and $3.50 for the birds.Now shells are $6.00 a box and some clubs are charging as much as $7.00 a round to shoot.
Seems to me that all sports ( golf, fishing,hunting) has seen a decrease in activity.Families just don't have the time or the extra money these days.
salesrep

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:00 pm 
Field Grade

This sport is at a crossroads between all the aging established shooters and the incoming youth. SCTP, USA Clay Target, AIM, and 4H are putting more kids behind shotguns than ever before. I'm 46 years old and this stuff wasn't available to me when I was a kid like it is now. Not even close.

And speaking about my area and our experience, the clubs are struggling to respond to the new wave of shooting interest from youth.

We had our Michigan State HS Clay Target League meeting last week and had 56 kids sign up. It was an awesome turnout. Standing room only. Yet, there he was, stodgy old gun club guy from the closest range to our town, who came to listen. I'm not kidding... He interrupts the meeting to announce to everyone "no one is gonna bounce hulls off his $5k shotgun" and told us "we made the right decision to go to the other club to shoot" I wish I was making that up. That club likely just lost 60 potential family memberships and volunteers.

Fast forward a week to a few of us attending an open skeet shoot with a couple of kids. We walk into another local gun club. There sit the guys around a table trying to decide who was going to get up to take our money. Not very inviting at all.

Then you come on this site, spend a little time researching, and then go away thinking "If I don't have a K or P gun, I shouldn't even bother" it's not everyone, but a fair amount.

I could go on and on. Many of the ranges here complain about membership dwindling. But especially people complain about today's youth. Yet there sits Minnesota with 10,000 kids on USA clay target HS teams with USA Clay Target likely having 20,000 youth nationwide in 2017. We have 56 kids sign up day one at our school. Maybe its not the youths fault?!?

Maybe its a build it and they will come scenario. And what is built today is not very inviting to new adults much less new kids.

What is the disconnect between local clubs and tomorrows members? (GASP! kids that today may be shooting semi-autos on a trap line) Am I that crazy to think a kid using a semi-auto and getting involved is worth finding a solution and working together?

What was interesting is I over heard stodgy old gun club guy say when he was leaving our HS meeting, "I can't believe how many kids are in this room" At some point something has to give. The clubs either want the youth to participate or they don't. Don't talk about it but then when given the opportunity walk the other way.

I don't know what the answer is, but there has to be one somewhere. There has to be or all these youth programs that are building passion in today's youth for firearms and the second amendment will be lost in less than a generation or sooner, stodgy old gun guy isn't getting any younger.

These thoughts are based on my experience locally. Perhaps its different in other parts of the country. In fact, I hope it is. Sorry for the rant. Flame away...

NRA Life Member
MI Hunters Safety Instructor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:53 pm 
Crown Grade

This is a good informative sight, but, in my opinion, could use a bit of updating. Making it easier to post pix would be a good start. Although after 4 years I have the pic part, albeit a pain, kinda figured out, I still can't for the begeesus of me figure out how to upload a video, even when I use the "example" on the You Tube instruction here. Perhaps a new format will help also. I know this must cost time & money......but hey, you get back what you put in, IMHO.

Blaser F3 Super Trap 34" Unsingle
Beretta DT11 30" Sport
Beretta SP 1 30" Sport
Browning Ultra XS Sport 30"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:53 am 
Diamond Grade

No one has answered my question, so maybe I'll just have to post it another way.
salesrep

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Folks just move on and have more things to do than posting here and same goes for forums all over the net. Just one of those things each person has their own reason for dropping out and like you did take a leave for however long and for different reasons only know to the individual :)

No need to fret over it :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:15 am 
Diamond Grade

Never thought about it that way, but guess you are right.........we all take breaks from something in one way or another and for various reasons.
Thanks for your reply and insight.............salesrep

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:40 pm 
Utility Grade

salesrep wrote:
So has there been a decline in ATA shooters.........I don't shoot ATA, so I can't answer that question.I just enjoy going with a bunch of guys and having a little fun on Wednesday and Sunday mornings.
I have even noticed that at my club, there has been a drop off in shooters, so I am assuming the same goes for ATA shoots.
I am sure that increase in cost has kept some guys away from going as much as they use to.When I first started shooting, shells were $4.00 a box and $3.50 for the birds.Now shells are $6.00 a box and some clubs are charging as much as $7.00 a round to shoot.
Seems to me that all sports ( golf, fishing,hunting) has seen a decrease in activity.Families just don't have the time or the extra money these days.
salesrep

Yeah, lots have their "extra money" tied up in electronic devices, Gameboys, soccer camp, football camp, figure skating camp, etc.etc.etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:09 pm 
Field Grade

The reason that I don't post more is simply that I am so new to the sport I have very little to contribute. I appreciate those who do, though, they have taught a great deal.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Where I am, the decline in the number of trap shooters is usually due to death from old age. The average age at this club is ~75 years old. Same for the skeet shooters.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Ever since 2008, trap and skeet both have been trending down. The ageing baby boomers have been in a financial squeeze since the yield on their savings is pitiful. They can't spend just the interest and dividends plus SS and make ends meet without making some hard judgements regarding spending. Case in point, the Fall Handicap at Linn Creek near the Lake Ozarks is second in attendance to the Summer Grand. Back in the day you couldn't find a place to park and shuttles were used to get people around. Not so anymore, now there's plenty of parking because there is big decrease in attendees. Baby Boomers have become much conservative in their spending. Registered shoots due to the expense have dwindled. Guys have either cut back on how many shoots they attended or eliminated registered shoots entirely. If they're still shooting they shoot for fun and not competitively. Sure, some baby boomers are very well fixed and that's why even here on SGW the discussion many times is about high end guns. The less well fixed baby boomers but still lead a comfortable lifestyle that shot entry level shotguns and shot them very well and would attend a registered shoots have steadily disappeared.
The same thing happen to golf. Baby boomers are not playing as once predicted. More golf courses are closing than opening.
I love trap shooting and a lot of it has do with friendships. I miss seeing a lot of old friends.