It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ATA shoots nation wide
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:56 am 
Diamond Grade

Has there been a decrease in shooters at the ATA shoots and also at "THE GRAND".
Also if so, why has there been a decrease in shooters.........does anyone have a reason?
salesrep

Post subject: Re: ATA shoots nation wide
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:26 pm 
Limited Edition

I have seen a decrease in ATA shooting here in the Chicagoland area. One of the largest clubs in the area, Maywood, no longer has ATA events, but does have big 50 events for shooters to register targets. Northbrook no longer has ATA events, and seems to be trending toward skeet and sporting clays.
The Grand seems like it has been on the decline, with regards to attendance, for the past 10 years from what I have seen. This may be off topic, but I have noticed a decline in venders also in that time frame.
I have seen shooters take more of an interest in sporting clays, and many of the people that I formerly shot trap with have taken up sporting clays instead.
We have one club in the area, that charges guest shooters $8.00 to shoot a line. If you are going to gouge a new shooter like that, do you really expect them to come back next week? The young shooters that we need to grow this sport don't have money trees growing in their backyards.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:59 pm 
Crown Grade

I've heard there is a new ammo law going into effect in California. How will that affect you California guys?

Supposedly it will:

1. Commencing January 1, 2018, generally prohibits private ammunition sales, requiring people to use an ammunition vendor licensed by the DOJ to complete a transaction, unless the transaction involves 50 rounds or less in a month and is between: (a) licensed hunters while hunting; or (b) immediate family members;

(2) Commencing January 1, 2018, bans the direct mail-order sale of all ammunition, meaning no more having ammunition shipped to you;

(3) Commencing July 1, 2019, prohibits residents, except for certain special ones, from bringing any ammunition from out-of-state into California;

(4) Commencing July 1, 2019, generally prohibits the purchase of ammunition by anyone, except for special people, unless authorized by the DOJ to do so;

(5) Commencing July 1, 2019, requires ammunition vendors to record personal information about the ammunition purchaser and what ammunition is purchased, and to submit the information to the DOJ, which must retain the information for 2 years in a database to be known as the Ammunition Purchase Records File.

(6) Requires DOJ to create and maintain another database of qualified ammunition purchasers and vendors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:06 pm 
Crown Grade

The trap and skeet snowbirds at my local club have been getting fewer every year; but since the average age is about 75, I can see that happening. Sporting clays in Florida is big and very popular, especially with folks who just shoot for grins and giggles as opposed to registered events.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:06 am 
Diamond Grade

No decrease where we shoot. Usually the place is packed with ATA shooters.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

mudpack wrote:
I've heard there is a new ammo law going into effect in California. How will that affect you California guys?

Supposedly it will:

1. Commencing January 1, 2018, generally prohibits private ammunition sales, requiring people to use an ammunition vendor licensed by the DOJ to complete a transaction, unless the transaction involves 50 rounds or less in a month and is between: (a) licensed hunters while hunting; or (b) immediate family members;

(2) Commencing January 1, 2018, bans the direct mail-order sale of all ammunition, meaning no more having ammunition shipped to you;

(3) Commencing July 1, 2019, prohibits residents, except for certain special ones, from bringing any ammunition from out-of-state into California;

(4) Commencing July 1, 2019, generally prohibits the purchase of ammunition by anyone, except for special people, unless authorized by the DOJ to do so;

(5) Commencing July 1, 2019, requires ammunition vendors to record personal information about the ammunition purchaser and what ammunition is purchased, and to submit the information to the DOJ, which must retain the information for 2 years in a database to be known as the Ammunition Purchase Records File.

(6) Requires DOJ to create and maintain another database of qualified ammunition purchasers and vendors.

CA resident here, from what I'm hearing it will work like the FSC (Firearm Safety Card). You get one, lasts you a few years and just need to show/swipe that when ever you purchase ammo.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Trap shooting is alive & well in the midwest! Two new clubs built in the last couple of years within 50 miles of me.

Hundreds of kids shooting trap through various programs.

The Grand attendance has held pretty steady for the past several years.