It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shooting Trap With Neck Issues
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:29 pm 
Field Grade

Several of the discs in my neck are bulged. This might sound like a dumb question but is it better to work at being "technically correct" or shoot with my head and neck in a position that's comfortable? I tend to pull my head off the stock when I try to do it "right." Does anyone else have similar issues and what did you do about it? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Federal Ultra Clay & Field 2 3/4 dr., 1 1/8 oz., 1145 fps., #8

Post subject: Re: Shooting Trap With Neck Issues
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
what does your doctor say?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:56 pm 
Crown Grade

"I tend to pull my head off the stock when I try to do it "right.""

There is no "right" way or "technically correct" way. There is only "any way that it works for you".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:58 pm 
Field Grade

I started shooting trap 3 years ago. The doctor said as long as it didn't aggravate the problem he was okay with it. It hasn't aggravated it and both my guns, see my signature below, are just shy of 9 lbs. My loads are 1145 fps and I barely feel the recoil. It's mainly just the fact that it's not real comfortable to shoot the "technically correct" way. I have to keep my neck and head very straight and upright to be comfortable.

Federal Ultra Clay & Field 2 3/4 dr., 1 1/8 oz., 1145 fps., #8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

bobski wrote:
what does your doctor say?

Bravo Zulu to that.........

Should you be shooting at this time?

http://www.disabledinfo.co.uk/dis/1929- ... -discs.asp

Test all theories at their limits - Enrico Fermi
Happiness is a good steak, an excellent Malbec and blood glucose levels under 7.0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:07 am 
Field Grade

Sorry for your misfortune!

I would consider myself an expert in this area as Im fused with 8 screws and 3 metal plates in my cervical spine at 3 levels. Then i have 8 screws 2 rods in 3 levels of my lumbar spine. I highly recommend a high rib gun, reputable recoil system, and low recoil shells. I really like the Herter 1060fps and Fiocchi 1170fps both 1oz. They can break most anything. I cant sit or stand very long without increasing the pain so I try and plan best as possible and keep moving. Get yourself a couple cervical ice wraps and if you need to stop then stop and come back another day. I have shot through some very painful days only because I love it and refuse to give up my very last hobbie. Yes, I still work each and every day dealing with this pain. Anyone that has seen me shoot is typically in awe I can continue and sometimes shoot very well. I almost forgot, without a doubt KT tape has served me well while shooting. I know without it I would be done. I wrap up tight per instructions and it helps tremendously. Good luck and make surgery your last resort. I have been through 5 and more on the horizon. I cant shoot as often as i would like but i still get out some. I also take it very easy the day before i know im going to plan on shooting and often wake up hurting to bad to make it but there will be another day.

Take care