It is currently Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shooting to fast-shooting to slow
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a tendency to shoot very quickly....see the bird shoot the bird.Any tips on how to slow down just a "bit"?
Also, I am teaching a friend how to shoot and he is just the opposite of me, he waits to long to shoot.I have tried everything to help him shoot faster, but nothing helps........any tips on how I can get him to react faster?
I average about 21-22 birds and believe I can do better if I slow down just a tad.While on the other hand he has trouble getting into double figures and do believe he can do better if he speeds up his shot.
Your thoughts and any tips you all can give for each of us.
salesrep

Post subject: Re: Shooting to fast-shooting to slow
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shoot fairly fast; however there are days that I just can't track the target as quickly. Hopefully when you state that you shoot fast; that would include tracking the target and following through. Many times I see shooters "poke" at the target and fail to follow through. Your gun needs to keep moving. Keep in mind; when was the last time you shot too far ahead of the target? Now compare those times with the times that you shot behind the target. (No comparison, right?) If you focus on the all important follow through; your scores will improve. As you get accustomed to that your "speed" in shooting the target will improve. Good luck. Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Terry Jordan recommends focusing on the leading edge of the bird until you see it break. He states this promotes the right lead and I believe him. I've also endured "the shooting before clearing seeing the bird" issue and Terry's advice has helped me a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:03 pm 
Crown Grade

I sometimes get in the habit of shooting too quick. when that happens the last thing i say to myself before calling for the bird is relax, or slow down. Seems to help.

as far as speeding up sometimes we run a drill with a slow high school shooter against a fast shooter. it is a race to break the target. gets them in the habit of getting to the target faster. sometimes we will make the fast shooter count to two or three, so the slow shooter has time to acquire the target first.

the slow shooter may try changing hold points. as a general rule it seems a higher hold point will result in most shooters speeding up.

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for the tips...........sometimes when shooting to fast, I do believe I poke instead of following through.
I also like the idea of following the leading edge of the bird and can see where that would be a much better shot.
salesrep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:08 am 
Limited Edition

I put a clay in the yard, 15 feet high and thirty yards away, and do everything I would do at the trap field except I dry fire. For example, station three going away, stance, soft focus, leading edge, swing, pull trigger before barrel swings past clay and follow thru.

Then I put the plastic clay on a trap and dry fire on this. Much more cost effective than shooting. Always working on my lifelong problem with shooting fast. More of a problem with low gun than mounted.

Know where your barrel is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:31 am 
Crown Grade

salerep, do you shoot one or two eyes?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jim, I use to shoot one eye, then several years ago I went to the both eyes open.
My scores improved, but started to flinch because I wanted to shoot faster.
Now I have almost eliminated the flinch, but do on occasion and that is when
I shoot really fast or "poke" at the target and usually miss.
So instead of breaking 24 or 25 I wind up breaking 21.22.23.
But to answer the question, yes I shoot both eyes open.
salesrep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Put tape on your off eye and get a release trigger and you will be running 25s.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Forcing yourself (or someone else) to shoot faster or slower than their/your natural speed is a good way to slow the improvement process down. Over time and many targets, each shooter will arrive at his/her own optimum speed. Forcing it will disrupt the natural progression. That's the way I look at it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:03 am 
Crown Grade

mudpack is right. The better you get the faster you get.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Follow-through is a good suggestion. Also guessing that you're not fully looking at a detailed piece of the target. You're seeing which way it's going and poking at it. Cure is to really look and see the edge you want to break. It'll still seem aggressive (fast) but in reality it'll be a couple of yards later. Those two will likely raise your score.

You could also benefit from the Annie Oakley game. Three shooters, (you first) if you miss the 2nd/3rd guys get the chance. They can't shoot until you do. If you miss you owe them $.

Good advice on the race for the slow shooter. Those guys often "measure" and try to take a picture. He needs to shoot as soon as he gets a good look at the target, not putting a saddle on it and riding it off into the sunset.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Kiner would tell you to quit looking at or too near the bead when calling. Then try different vertical locations to look above the bead/barrel before calling. from a foot above to the sky line. You and your vision will have a preference as to where to start the barrel point and where to look for the target before calling it out.

The key to making a good (controlled) move will be seeing the target properly before coordinating a physical response to the target. Its about vision and hand to eye coordination.

Buy Phil Kiners clinic video and study it, all 200 minutes several times. He has a vision segment that covers this issue very well. We visited about this same issue last Saturday, trying to find answers for one of my young lady shooters on the college team. Phil has a great story about a N.E. shooter that went from AAA averages down to C class. Had scheduled a MRI trying to find out why. Then to be able to get his vision and averages back up. After the Kiner clinic he when back to dirt balls in the sky, later canceled the MRI.

This is the first place to experiment finding a fix........Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:02 am 
Field Grade

Jim Tyner wrote:
Put tape on your off eye and get a release trigger and you will be running 25s.

So, that's all it takes?