It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Did you ever have one of those days?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:19 am 
Tournament Grade

I find my life outside the trap field pulls a lot of weight on my scores. If my job is going well and my family life is stress-free at that time, I shoot well (for me). But if I'm in a rush to the club and have a lot on my mind, all bets are off. Two weeks ago I started with a practice round and got a 24, then shot 18/12 for league points! Then rushed off for a 2nd shift overtime mess at work.

"One of those days".

Remington 870 Express - General Hunting
Remington 870 Express - HD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am having a year like this. I am a 22 to 25 shooter up until about a year ago. I fell into a slump and can't dig out. I have been an 18 to 23 shooter for about 8 months. I have seen a lot of shooters fall into slumps and it may take a long time to dig out of it. One bad game or 2 is not a slump.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Don't think just shoot!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:38 am 
Utility Grade

LOL, been there done that ....

Here is my 5 cents:
If you have gone through Rollin's process and your gun fits, etc., so that there is no problem with the equipment, then, it is a mental game, period.
As some of the other folks have mentioned, your mind is not on the game.
Most often, head lifting and flinching are symptoms of the simple fact that your "brain" doesn't see the target clearly. When you pull the trigger, all of your focus needs to be on that target.

This is my battle these days, I know your pain (LOL).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If the gun fits your size and shape and the POI is set to center pattern where you are looking. There still will be slumps, but shallow compared to poor equipment set up. For those that shoot 90% average a shallow slump would be 21 and 22's. For a 98% shooter a 23 is a shallow slump. This type of slump is easy to fix by making a better effort to stay engaged mentally and vision with your shooting.

Those with a deeper slump like an 88% shooter dropping into the 70's. These slumps are about equipment as much as mental. There is no technique or trick that will help until you start with the basis of skill. Gun fit and POI setting. Get the equipment right and then work on you. Pattern pattern and pattern to know POI, then set it to your sight picture preferences. This will allow you to learn how to shoot well and have more shallow slumps. Bad days instead of bad years.

Any score that contributes to a lower average is a bad score. Declining average is a slump. All slumps are your mistake and easy to fix with knowledge, common sense, and better effort. If your not trying to fix it, be prepared to accept the poor scores and average. No one really cares but you.

Always remember.....Practicing good habits is good. Practicing poor habits is poor. Which means not all practice will help skills.

Maltz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:11 am 
Utility Grade

painter* wrote:
I normally shoot 18-22. I shot a 24 once. Been at it for almost a year.

Pretty much describes me and where I am. One thing I found myself doing was adjusting something between each outing - comb height, butt plate, chokes (or even trying a different gun) and never visiting the patterning board. I'd have a round that would start badly and the rest of the outing would be a guessing game.

Toward the end of the season, I decided on a configuration that worked well (choke, comb, stock) and went to the patterning board to understand where my gun was shooting. I was quite surprised it shot as high as it did. My focus now will be keeping that configuration and developing some consistency without trying to tweak something from week to week.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:58 am 
Presentation Grade

I had one of those yesterday. Had a registered ATA shoot, 300 target, one day shoot. I'm a skeet shooter and don't shoot much trap, but I shoot a registered shoot every three months or so. It was a cold day, low 40's with a 25-30 mph wind from the north, in our faces. Shot singles first and struggled through the first 2 boxed. Then, ran the last two. Won the singles event. Next, handicap. I've never shot handicap, so I was at the 20. Posted a 69. Next doubles. I've never shot doubles. Posted a 46. Yes, a 46. Out of 100.

I had a case of either the flu, stomach bug or food poisoning Friday night/early Saturday morning. In bed all day Saturday and probably should not have went to shoot, but I did. I ran out of gas during the handicap event and just couldn't see the targets real well. I didn't have anything in my stomach since Thursday. Should have stayed home.