It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BPS or Ithaca 37 Trap
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:42 pm 
Diamond Grade

I like bottom eject actions. But have never seen or shot either the BPS or Ithaca 37 trap gun. I would like to hear opinions on these guns. For example are they prone to cheek slap. Do the stock fit seem ok as compared to an 870 or 1100 . Appreciate any input.

Post subject: Re: BPS or Ithaca 37 Trap
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Fit, and the attendant check slap are individual issues. You'd have to try several to see how they fit you.
For what it's worth, I have a BPS and shoot it just as well as my 870 or my 11-87 (1100). In other words, it fits me okay. Doesn't mean it would fit you.

What leads you to believe that you like a bottom-eject shotgun if you've never shot one?
Do you like the idea of a bottom eject shotgun? I can tell you this; when used as a single-shot target gun, they require a loading technique that is a bit unorthodox.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:01 am 
Diamond Grade

I gave the wrong impression. I have owned a few BPS and Ithaca 37 guns. But never a trap model. I would like to get my hands on a trap model.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:29 am 
Crown Grade

Ah, now your OP makes a lot more sense....

If you want to handle an example of those two models, I'd suggest you ask around at the trap field where you normally shoot. Chances are someone there has one they'd let you look at...or knows someone else who does. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:01 am 
Presentation Grade

strut64 wrote:
I gave the wrong impression. I have owned a few BPS and Ithaca 37 guns. But never a trap model. I would like to get my hands on a trap model.

Could you put different wood on ? Or is there more to a 37 trap than the stock ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I am a novice trap shooter only starting a bit over a year ago after my wife bought me a new Ithaca 37. What she did not know was that it was in the trap configuration. Hence, I started shooting trap.

As far as loading the gun single shot it only took me a round or so to get the hang of dropping a spent hull into my hand to be placed into my pouch and then slide a live round into the action.

Since I am right handed but left eye dominant the Ithaca is great since I shoot the gun left handed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

The Wingmaster stock is slimmer and feels shorter than the BPS stock. I find that the BPS fits better for me in the shoulder pocket. If you have smaller hands the Wingmaster size stock would probably be
more comfortable. I never shot an Ithaca 37 Trap. I find that the BPS manages felt recoil extremely well and functions reliably. I reload so the bottom ejection feature is an asset for me.The BPS Trap has a single shell loading feature.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:36 pm 
Utility Grade

The BPS to me is heads above have the single/repeater mode switch and the higher rib makes tracking birds easier.. and although a bit more tedious the trigger can be tuned to a really fine degree .. it’s my pick