It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recoil Reduction Systems
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:11 pm 
Field Grade

After shooting for quite a few years I started to consider the different recoil devices available to trapshooters. It seems that no matter which system I watch being used the shooters shoulder moves back much the same as the shooter with a normal stock. Obviously these systems must work for some or you wouldn’t see so many in use. Now the three different systems I tried all seemed to still create recoil, maybe somewhat softer but I guess I’m not seeing the big difference I thought I would. For those of you happy with the system of your choice, do you see a real significant reduction in recoil or just a modest or slight change?

Post subject: Re: Recoil Reduction Systems
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The biggest reduction of felt recoil is in gun fit. Full pad contact in the shape and angle of your shoulder pocket. Having recoil delivered straight back with the bore and straight through the stocks mass. Using a soft pad designed to absorb recoil.

From there are low cost to expensive devises, spring or air mechanics that softens or spreads recoil delivery. All range from some to very effective. Seems to be related to cost. Have had several of the lower cost devises and found gun fit much more effective in reducing recoil than some spring loaded mechanical unit on the back of a stock.

Reducing pay load in ammo is even more effective in reducing recoil, if performance is less important than consuming recoil. Those of us shooting serous targets want and need peek performance in ammo selection. Leaving each of us to set our own goals and guidelines.

The only poor choice is trying to cover up poor gun fit with mechanical devises. Some of the hardware available offers adjustable features to appropriate gun fit. This more valuable than the units flex mechanics.

You will get what you pay for.

Maltz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:55 am 
Field Grade

Maltz- Agree with everything you say. Currently shooting a K-80 with a well fitting stock. Thinking I might get rid of almost all recoil I tried three of the more expensive systems on try guns and was surprised that I didn’t seem to find any significant reduction from where I’m currently at. Guess I was looking for no perceptible recoil which isn’t possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:15 pm 
Limited Edition

Did you try the precision fit stock? I have had good results with the one I have.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:51 pm 
Field Grade

I actually think Vern’s PFS system is great but I shoot a considerable number of doubles and it doesn’t recover from the first shot fast enough. Those that use it tighten it down for doubles which takes the recoil reduction out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It seems that you have narrowed things down to two possible choices to reduce recoil. Add weight to your K80, shoot shells with a lower velocity and/or shot weight, or both.

As Maltz wrote, shooting lighter shells is a very effective way to reduce felt, as well as actual or measured recoil.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:55 am 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
I've been shooting a Stock Lock for several years on my CG Trap Combo and like it very much. One of the things I like is that it does not collapse when you mount the gun and pull it into your shoulder firmly. Yes, it does soften recoil significantly. I also shoot quite a few doubles and recovery time is not an issue for me.

I will say that for the first few hundred targets I did notice the action and sound of the mechanism. Any more, I am not aware of it. Kind of like most guys don't notice the mechanism of an auto. But, not everyone likes them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:40 pm 
Limited Edition

I added 20 oz to my stock taking the gun to 10 1/2 lbs. Inexpensive and works great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:08 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the help. I did add weight to a combo I shot well but when I sold it I never replaced the weight in the new combo. It was Phil Kiner that told me to add the weight then and after the same advice here I guess I should consider it again. Remember though when you hit your seventies things get harder to lift, I’m especially noticing it when I’m reaching for that seventh or eighth beer in the larger cans. Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:13 am 
Crown Grade

After 48 years of trapshooting, I have become less recoil tolerant.

My recoil reduction system of choice is the entire gun, my 1100 Competition Synthetic.

Been my "go to"gun since mid 2012.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If adding weigh does not reduce the felt recoil to an acceptable level, consider Claydust's solution, an 1100 Competition Synthetic. It would be an excellent clay target gun (with an added shell catcher).

It's not a K80 but it would be more comfortable to shoot.

Author of "Stock Fitter's Bible, Second Edition," which explains the interrelationships between shooting form, stock dimensions and a shooter's size and shape http://www.amazon.com/Stock-Fitters-Bible-Second-Edition/dp/1451570384

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:18 am 
Field Grade

When you guys add weight do you rebalance the gun again or not?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

holdpoint wrote:
When you guys add weight do you rebalance the gun again or not?

I did to get the feel to my liking :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:04 am 
Crown Grade

Rollin Oswald wrote:
If adding weigh does not reduce the felt recoil to an acceptable level, consider Claydust's solution, an 1100 Competition Synthetic. It would be an excellent clay target gun (with an added shell catcher).

It's not a K80 but it would be more comfortable to shoot.

Mine has a Birchwood Casey Saveit

I don't like being hit with empties, and I don't hit anyone else with them.

I have had the gun since 2012 and am very happy with it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm 
Field Grade

"When you guys add weight do you rebalance the gun again or not?"

Rollin, Phill ??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

holdpoint wrote:

Rollin, Phill ??

Guess my post above has no merit O well :lol: Carry on {hs#

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx
http://www.rosecityflyingclays.com/
http://www.caneycreeklodge.net/shootingsports.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:55 am 
Limited Edition

holdpoint wrote:

Rollin, Phill ??

Not Rollin or Phil, but since I added weight to my gun I'll explain why I don't think it matters.

The weight is added to the stock and the stock is pre-mounted to the shoulder before the shot. Since the stock is secured to the shoulder and not swinging side-to-side (or up) 2-3' feet away from the shoulder it doesn't make any difference. Now add a pound to the end of the gun and it's a different matter. You have to move the extra pound.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:16 pm 
Crown Grade

gbrendemuehl wrote:
holdpoint wrote:

Rollin, Phill ??

Not Rollin or Phil, but since I added weight to my gun I'll explain why I don't think it matters.

The weight is added to the stock and the stock is pre-mounted to the shoulder before the shot. Since the stock is secured to the shoulder and not swinging side-to-side (or up) 2-3' feet away from the shoulder it doesn't make any difference. Now add a pound to the end of the gun and it's a different matter. You have to move the extra pound.

Don't know much about physics, do you? Me neither, but I DO know that the recoil still has to move that extra pound of weight rearward, regardless of where you put it. Thus, it WILL reduce felt recoil even if the weight is put in the stock of the gun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:41 pm 
Limited Edition

Vette Jockey wrote:
gbrendemuehl wrote:
holdpoint wrote:

Rollin, Phill ??

Don't know much about physics, do you? Me neither, but I DO know that the recoil still has to move that extra pound of weight rearward, regardless of where you put it. Thus, it WILL reduce felt recoil even if the weight is put in the stock of the gun.

I do know something about physics and perhaps you should re-read the post. The question I answered was about rebalancing the gun and not about recoil.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:50 pm 
Crown Grade

FIT reduces FELT recoil, aka "kick"; WEIGHT reduces ACTUAL recoil as does shooting slower and smaller payloads.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin