Shotgun Forum banner

choices

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  smilerman115 
#1 ·
I have recently been looking in to another semi auto shotgun. I have narrowed it down to two. The benelli sbe2 and the stoeger m3500. I need some help on witch one to get. Can someone give a comparison of the two.

#5 ·
stevenrace said:
I need some real answers.
Can't speak directly to the 3500, but if you were "out on the line" at some of the shoots that I have been, you would already have your answer. Being the "mechanical guy" at a private shooting club, keeping the machines running and with 60 years of gun experience, I get pointed at numerous problems. Not the least of which is gun malfunction. The Stoegers, both autos and pumps, are a high percentage of that total. Jammed up actions, pieces flying off, (bolt handles), you name it.

I just got offered a pump, won at a raffle, for virtually pennies on the dollar. I said "No thanks".

I stand by what I previously stated. There is no comparison.

#6 ·
Stoeger is generally an entry-level gun. If you want to go, out of the box, (and can afford it) you'll probably be happier with the Benelli.

Having said that, the Stoeger does have some "hard-use advantages". A genuine, heavy-wall, field barrel. Bennis are exceedingly thin, and prone to denting, and occassionally warping, with heavy use. Stoegers will (generally) have more tool leavings and grit, but if you DIY, and would rather spend your savings on shooting/accessories/etc., viewtopic.php?f=7&t=244200 they are not at all hard to buff up.

I've owned M1s, and an M3; I now own M2000s. For the price difference, you get a thinner barrel, neither has a type III anodize on the receiver, but Benelli pays someone to run the shell latch and bolt carrier under a buffing wheel before bluing.

#7 ·
Don't worrey about the new 3500, it is a great gun. Built very well and very simple to keep clean. You get 5 chock tubes, a scope mount and the receiver is drilled and tapped. If jugchock is the man he says he is and cant get a 2000 to work 100% there is something wrong. Read Randy's test of the new 3500 and see what he has to say. I have a good friend that works at Dick's here in town and said that he could sell every one he could get. Has not had one come back yet!!
Dave

#8 ·
David, I didn't say anything about MY not being able to get them to work.

I simply stated that a very high percentage of the "problem guns" that I see on the SC course where I mechanic, are the 2000 and the pump version. The very latest were two, 2000's that the bolt handles, apparently were slung out after the birds, as well as the shot! And the pump, locked up solid, but in the open position.

Dicks may well be able to sell every one that they can get their hands on, but certainly not to me! I certainly wouldn't "take anything out of Dicks", let alone take anything back! If I can't get better, both price and goods, elsewhere, I will do without!

I also stated that I know nothing about the 3500, haven't seen one yet, that I know of.

I hope I have now made myself clear.

#9 ·
I went with the stoeger in apg with the 24 inch barrel. Even though I have only shot it about 20 times it has worked flawlessly from 3.5,3,and 2 3/4 shells down to 1 1/8 load chepo winchester from wally world. I will put it through its passes when I take it out this hunting season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.