CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uplander Choke tubes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:01 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm a new Uplander owner (20 gauge). I really like the fit and feel of this shotgun. Imidiatly after purchasing this gun I ordered a truelock full choke tube and intend to also get a turkey choke for it also. I was wondering if you Stoeger shooters find any advantage to also aquiring after market Imp.Cyl. and Mod. chokes for guns? Would I get noticably improved patterns if I used choke tubes that are other than the ones that came with the gun? I have done a little pattern testing and my % of pellets inside the 30" circle were quite a bit lower than what seems to be published. I'm also wondering if the pellets in Remmington "Express" loads may be particularly soft and I should be checking patterns with plated loads.
I'm going out of town for a few days so I won't be able to repond to any of your replies while i'm gone.

Post subject: Re: Uplander Choke tubes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:54 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have tried other brands but they haven't been any noticeable improvement over the factory tubes. I think there are 5 tubes that come with Stoeger guns. One of them should do what you are looking for pattern wise.

Laziness....The habit of resting before you get tired.

Post subject: Re: Uplander Choke tubes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Our uplander 20ga, 26", actually my wife's, only came with 2 chokes - IC & Mod - they seam fine. But i bought a Full and 2 Skeets to round out its versitility -Carlson flush mounts-very reasonable, like $15ea. The little gun shoots GOOD skeet too! Fast handling, moves nicely...
We go to the range at off hrs when we can get the range to our selves, shoot the whole round at one station so i can practice and she learns... Shootin that same shot till ya fully get it really helps, both of us!
I patterned the little gun - Factories are fine - a Full's always nice to have - and a matchin set for you favorite sport is nice too... Skeet is made for Skeet, ya got 2 bbls and gotta use both of em!

And yes, the majority of shot inside a 30" circle is tuff for most shotguns, especially 7.5 or 8 target loads at 40yards - our (and most) range's pattering board is set 40 yds out - and it takes a full choke to get a 30' pattern that far out... I have to walk up to about 20 yards to even get a readable 30" pattern with about any shotgun shotin a mod choke and target loads... I think a nice evenly distributed pattern, without big holes and/or clusters is more important... then ya know your gettin a good even pattern and just have to learn the distance your gun and choke likes to throw it... I dont waste much time on the patterning board - if it throws an even pattern, close to point of aim - thats good nuff - time to go dust Clays!
Shotgunnin is more of an art than a science - have fun - be safe!

There's a REAL big difference in a target load 8 shot pattern and a HiBrass 6 or 4 Full Field Load outa the same shougun at 40 yards! The target load will leave a nice wide readable pattern - HiBrass WONT EVEN LEAVE ANY paper or box in the center of the board! The last time i shot a Rem Express Nitro Mag Max Load at a box on a patterning board there wasnt Anything left! Totally Gone! BIG difference in the shells ya shoot!