It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did Stoeger ever fix the coach gun misfire problem?
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:20 pm 
Utility Grade

I love the look and feel of the sxs coach gun, but did the factory make any actual mods to fix the misfire problem? I'd like to use it as defense gun and fun gun and want to know its reliable. I like to the double trigger model. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Did Stoeger ever fix the coach gun misfire problem?
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Though Stoeger seems to have gotten a rep for incurring semi-frequent misfires (likely related to headspacing problems) with its E.R. Armantino-made double guns, you primarily hear about said issues occurring mostly with the single trigger models, like the O/U Condor. The Coach Gun itself isn't known for this problem, though I know it has occurred with the double trigger Uplander SXS series. I don't know of anyone who has had the misfire troubles with Coach Guns, and I know of two that have stood up well to fairly heavy use & hunting over a number of years. I owned a single trigger Condor Outback for a while, and had no issues with it either, though I didn't put a huge number of shells through it.

It seems quality control at Armantino isn't as good as it once was, as some of the newer guns people have bought here have exhibited fit, finish and some function issues. The finish on the Coach Guns I've seen lately is not up to the level it was a decade ago (an old CG a friend has is very nicely blued, and his ten year old CG Supreme is well built with nice walnut). As long as it fits you well and doesn't have any obvious defects, I wouldn't suggest against trying a Coach Gun, as Stoeger does offer a five year warranty for them. The ones I've used have been well built, strong, reliable and good performing. I like the double trigger option, and among shotguns I've handled, only Benelli's 828U and Ruger's Red Label have fit me better and come to my shoulder faster & more naturally. Considering the vast difference in price between these guns, I'd say that speaks well about the CG's ergonomics, at least for me.

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have had a couple of Uplanders that misfired. Removed the firing pin cover and cleaned things out a bit. One had a machine chip blocking the pin and the other needed cleaning. I refinished one and got some sawdust in one and cleaned it out. They are now reliable. Used a pin punch to loosen the cover.

DEP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:36 am 
Utility Grade

I know this is an older thread. But I purchased a Stoeger Coach gun about 3 months ago. I have been very happy with fit and finish of the material. I am a shorter individual and the length of pull was difficult, so tonight I decided to cut 1 and 1/8" of the butt stock. After refinishing the stock and butt plate it it fits great and I am even happier with it.

I am glad to read this post about misfires. Mine is a two trigger coach so I should be good.