It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just got a NOS Stoeger m2000 - Questions...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:16 pm 
Field Grade

So I just picked up this NOS Stoeger m2000 from Dick's sporting goods. It was a dirt cheap price and seems to be pretty decent so far. Just looking for something halfway decent to learn with and I figured if I don't like it, for the price I paid I can probably trade it in on something else and get 100% back in trade in value. It appears to be the latest version with the red fiber front sight and the high rib. It has the walnut stocks.

After reading up a lot on it here and elsewhere, here's what I did:

Took it apart and cleaned out the grease and cleaned the whole thing up with Ballistol (my cleaning agent of choice :) ) and oiled where Stoeger says to oil. I put it all back together and cycled the bolt a couple of hundred times. Took it back apart and looked for wear marks or anything that looked like it might be catching. Did a light sanding around the forearm where it slides over the magazine because that was really difficult to put on and off and it was leaving wood dust on the magazine cap threads so I know it was catching hard there and the wood in the forearm there was kind of rough and choppy so I know there wasn't a lot of finishing done on it.

So when I put it back together again, I noticed that the forearm has a little play now. It moves forward and back about 1/8 inch and with a little pressure. I have seen elsewhere that mis-positioning the flat washer and the curved washer under the magazine cap has caused this before so I watched some videos and pulled up a schematic to make sure the parts are where they are supposed to be and everything looks good from that standpoint but what it looks like to me is that the pocket in the forearm that the barrel ring goes into that goes around the magazine is a little too deep. When the barrel is fully seated in the receiver, it stands about 1/8 out of the pocket of the forearm but when the barrel is just sitting in the forearm not on the magazine, the ring is about flush with the top of the pocket so I think it needs a spacer between the barrel ring and the bottom of the forearm pocket in order for the pressure from the magazine cap to hold the forearm still. I think before, the friction of the really tight fit of the forearm on the magazine was holding it in but when I sanded that a little bit to make it easier to take apart and re-assemble, it became noticeable.

Just for the heck of it, I placed the two washers that are supposed to be under the magazine cap, between the barrel ring and the bottom of the forearm pocket for the barrel ring and put it together and tightened down the cap directly on the barrel ring and everything, barrel and forearm are nice and snug with no movement and cycling seems to work fine with the washers in either spot.

So my questions are, has anyone else seen this? I am thinking of ordering two more of the flat washers and just leaving them in the forearm pocket and putting the other two in the regular spot where they are supposed to be, this should function just like having a more shallow pocket so the pressure from the cap would be exerted on the curved washer, flat washer, barrel ring, flat washer, flat washer, and then onto the forearm pocket, holding the forearm in place. Anyone see any issue with doing that?

I had one other question, on the barrel ring, there is a spring loaded button that the flat washer sits on and holds down. Any idea what that's for? It's part number 7 in this diagram. It doesn't appear to do anything so I'm not sure why it's there...

Thanks for any help you can provide.
-Jim

Post subject: Re: Just got a NOS Stoeger m2000 - Questions...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Had to run check mine just to be certain. The 2 washers go on the receiver side of the barrel ring and the spring loaded "button" in the barrel ring is a lock of sorts so the cap/nut doesn't loosen. It springs up into the "pockets" on the underside of the cap/nut. So you should have forearm, flat washer, spring washer, barrel ring, & cap/nut when it's all assembled.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:12 pm 
Field Grade

jac63 wrote:
Had to run check mine just to be certain. The 2 washers go on the receiver side of the barrel ring and the spring loaded "button" in the barrel ring is a lock of sorts so the cap/nut doesn't loosen. It springs up into the "pockets" on the underside of the cap/nut. So you should have forearm, flat washer, spring washer, barrel ring, & cap/nut when it's all assembled.

Cool, that's the way everything is nice and tight. A lot of videos show them directly under the magazine cap with the flat washer against the barrel ring and the lock washer right before the cap. If having them on the receiver side is the correct way then I am good to go on it.

I think that means that the spring loaded button on the barrel ring might be a stop for the magazine cap...
Thanks.
-Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Hey just read the post about wood stock m2000 using the 10001 limbsaver pad...i have same 2000 model but synthetic stock and put limbsaver pad on abd i can shoot everything from light loads for clays to slugs for deer hunting and not have a problem at all I have used mine for about ten years now my go to gun of choice....love it...