Shotgun Forum banner

Remington 1100 trigger failure

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  ldpace 
#1 ·
My remington 1100 just stopped firing. The hammer strikes the firing pin(which is not broken). If you remove the barrel and place your finger over the firing pin hole you can feel the pin strike your finger. Put in a shell and pull the trigger and you hear the hammer strike the pin but nothing happens. Eject the shell and there is NO and I mean No mark on the Primer. What's up? If it were wear on the pin or any other parts it seems the gun would have gone through a period of firing sometimes and not firing others. It just Quit all of a sudden. I had disassembled the gun for cleaning and reassembled. I have since taken it apart and put it back together four times to be sure it is assembled correctly. The hammer spring seems as strong as I remember it being and if it has gotten weak it would have gradually began to misfire. Any suggestions? I am not sure where to start.
Thanks for any help

This is also posted in the Gunsmithing section

#3 ·
Until you knock out it's retaining pin and remove the firing pin, you can't be certain that the firing pin is not broken. It's a simple 5-minute job.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Yes I removed the bolt carrier, retaining pin and then the firing pin. Since the primer has no dent, not even a mark, I thought the firing pin had broken and was now too short. The pin looks fine, rounded on the business end, clean and unbroken. I checked the retraction spring and it is intact and retracting the firing pin all the way. With the firing pin in good shape one would suspect a weak hammer spring but how could the gun go from working perfectly to not even marking the primer unless the spring broke, as I said it feels fine also. When you retract and cock the hammer by hand there is about the right amount of tension on it. When the gun is assembled it makes a normal noise when the hammer strikes the back of the firing pin.
Stummped

#5 ·
Is the locking lug fully engaging?

If they don't lock up at least 85%, they won't fire even though the hammer drops properly (a good thing, don't want something firing unlocked :shock: ).

I have seen them with enough dirt in the locking recess in the barrel extension or on top of the locking lug to prevent this.

There may be something besides dirt preventing full lock-up.

#6 ·
I think the locking lug you are referring to is the part that extends up from the bolt carrier when it is in the forward position and engages the notch in the top of the receiver. I appears to be fully engaged and the bolt carrier will not move aft. Is there any way to check this engagement?

#8 ·
I am very sure the seals are correct. I don't understand how they could affect the gun firing though. I thought their function was only in cycling the action after firing. Unless it relates to what ClayDust was talking about. If the O ring or seals were keeping the bolt from sliding all the way forward and it wasn't quite locking all the way in. I know the seals are oriented correctly but the O ring could be slipping down when the barrel is slid into place. I will remove the O ring and test the firing mechanism.

#9 ·
The space between the barrel and the action bar sleeve is taken up by the seals. Installed improperly, the seals apparently affect the bolt position in the receiver.

It was just a suggestion and a mistake I've made before that causes the gun not to fire.

#12 ·
Thanks guys,
I had the gas rings in the correct orientation but when I removed all gas rings and O ring the gun fired. So you guys got me on the right track. I bought a replacement O ring a few weeks back. It worked fine for a few hundred shells until the gin quit firing. Upon closer inspection the new O ring was "Thicker" than the original. When the barrel slide over the ring it would compress it just enough to inhibit the travel of the gas rings. This prevented the bolt carrier from locking (locking all the way) and somehow prevented the trigger mechanism from correctly releasing. Thanks for all the help.
LDPace

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.