CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is a "heavy duck" model 12.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

LGS has a model 12 for 3 inch shells. It has a rib that has deep, wavey lines in it. It has aftermarket stock and forearm. I am not really familar with the 3" model 12's. what are the variations?

updated: went back and checked it again. some type of aluminum rib, I think, and a reblue. Outside my interest, but the question stands about what is a "heavy duck" model.

Post subject: re: What is a "heavy duck" model 12.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:45 pm 
Crown Grade

The Model 12 Heavy Duck was, of course, designed for 3" shells back in the '30s when standard models were for 2 3/4" shells. They had 30 or 32 inch barrels that were heaver(thicker) than standard barrels and the Full choke was special bored. These barrels have very good long range patterns. They came with plain, solid rib, and vent rib(rare) barrels. The stock had a 13 7/8" LOP, to be used with heavy duck hunting coats(cold weather hunting). The stock also had a lead insert inside to add weight to the gun to help control recoil. Most were Standard Grade, but there were higher grades made on special order.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:54 am 
Crown Grade

Hello Bill: the variations are as follows:

Field grade, plain barrel about 70% were this
Field grade, solid rib, about 25% were this

Then
You get into the following:
Deluxe Field grade, checkered stocks, solid rib, these were usually special order so the LOP can be what ever the customer wanted
Special Field, vent rib 1954-59
Deluxe Special field, factory vent rib, (1954-1959)!
Trap- this was always a special order gun, solid rib, or vent rib when they were availble (54-59).
Black Diamond field and Trap pre-war
Pigeon grade.

About 19,000 total were made from 1935-1963. 95% were field guns, so anything other than a field will command a premium. Many of the pre-war guns simply just aren't around any more, shot to death, poor care etc.

It's been estimated that the Trap, Black Diamond and Pigeon guns combined were less than 200 total.

There are a "few" factory multiple barrel set guns, usually the second barrel is a 2 3/4in Mod. barrel. However I have seen 1 that had a 30in Full and a 30in. Mod. both chambered in 3 in.!! Very rare gun.

For a time, after the 3in gun came out Winchester offered to "convert" any standard 12ga. to a 3in. gun. So if you do run across a pre-war gun, look closely and make sure the serial numbers jive with the known dates for a 3 in. gun. Conversions, are not worth the same amount of money!!

Regards Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:37 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

There were also, at least, two and propably six 34" heavy Ducks made. I own a 1957 Pigeon Grade HD with a 34" barrel choked Full that was my uncle's. He lived next door to the president of Olin back "in the day" and was able to get several custom guns from Winchester. I saw a 34" DH when hunting at Olin's Nilo Farms back in the 60's it had a plain barrel.

The same uncle left me his Hydro-Coiled Stocked Field Grade HD that has a soild rib. This gun is rather rare because the Hydo-Coiled stock is white. Uncle Don ordered it that way for goose hunting in the late season. I think that this gun is rather rare,too.

Post subject: Re: What is a "heavy duck" model 12.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I wanted to add some additional information to the heavy duck posts. Some of the above mentioned Model 12s are indeed rare and I wish to view a 34" and have one in my collection. One I just acquired is a Pigeon grade heavy duck with 30" solid rib from 1956. One of the grades not mentioned above is the "Standard Trap" grade of heavy duck that was offered through the 1930s with either straight ( english) grip or pistol grip without grip cap. My buddy owns the straight grip and I own the pistol grip. Another rarity in my collection is a 32" solid rib heavy duck choked "imp-mod." I pot shoot with that one and what a shooter. I work on them and they have been in our family through three generations back to the 30s. I have more than I am willing to admit to. I am always willing to talk and answer questions to the best of my ability on the topic of the Model 12!