Shotgun Forum banner

best shooting glasses

85K views 92 replies 69 participants last post by  R81049 
#1 ·
I am looking for a pair of shooting glasses to be used soley for skeet. Most of the guys at the range wear Decot glasses but they are all in the 60 and over catagory. I have a pair of oakley sunglasses and am thinking about getting a pair of okleys with the G26 lenses. I like the price of the Decots but they are so ugly. I can live with that if they are the best choice but if they are equal with another I would choose the latter. What are some of the glasses you guys would recommend under $200? I want something with interchangable lenses, with lense tints that enhance the view of the target on both bright and cloudy days. In your oppinion what is the best pair of shooting glasses?
Thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
Oakleys hands down. I just got the G26 lens and love it for bright days, especially with green vegetation in the background. I also used the VR28 (dark orange) lens for several years when the sun is out and liked it very well but not quite as much as the G26. I also use a persimmon lens for cloudy days and hunting in timber, it lights things up pretty well. I have seen other people post that they use the high intensity yellow but it is too bright to suit me.

#3 ·
Most of us old guys that are over 60 and shooting have found out what works and what is hype. Decots work and I have had all the bad experiences with the Oakley company that I can stand. $crew them and their products :!: Is there any doubt about how I feel :?:

#4 ·
I use NYX Arrows they'll run you about $115 with 3 lenses. They have a shooters package that come with Amber, Orange and Vermillion.

I have the Smoke, Dark Gray and Optic Yellow.

http://www.earinc.com/p3-nyxnarrowglasses.php

#8 ·
Crowbuster,

Us guys over 60 likely need perscription lenses, and the fancy NYX and Oakleys will require special inserts when your perfect vision begins to fade. Perscription inserts are not all they're cracked up to be and I have heard some complaints. On hot days the fancy ones do not vent as well as Decots, Rangers, or Liemans with the brow bar. I'll take function (and protection)over style any day. You can have interchangeable lenses with any color you choose with the ugly Decots. If you have 20/20 vision then by all means go with what you like.

JJ

#9 ·
While the comment about the guys 60 and over is a bit insulting I would have to agree that there are nicer looking glasses than Decot that work just as well. Truthfully I never cared for Decot for either looks or function. Allan Lehman and Ranger to name a couple make glasses that look good and work well. Yes I'm over 60 so I suppose that recommendation may not coincide with your sense of fashion. I seriously doubt that Oakley is even close to being able to provide the same quality or the same service you will get from someone who is dedicated to the shooting sports.

#10 ·
The biggest problem with curved frames is the more prescription strength, the thicker the outside edges are on lenses. The new Bob Allen shooting glasses are available in 6 base curve and 8 bases curve. I make all of the Bob Allen Rx lenses and recommend the 6 base to my clients needing any correction. Not that I haven't made some on the 8 base frame successfully, but the user struggles with getting the lenses in and out of the frame when the lense is thicker than the cleat depth. Wanting to look "cool" has a price and its own problems based on curves frames.

Another issue.... the Boyt/Bob Allen company requires the lenses to be made from Polycarb for safty and liability reasons. Poly is 2 Abby clairty ratings down from glass, so having the PD (pupil distance) properly centered is very important. also, having the lenses ZiessAR coated, a gas/heat treatment makes the poly a bit more clear and have the best anti reflection properties available. Makes the lenses so scratch resistant that dropping them in the gravel isn't an issue. To me, seeing the target clearly is far more important than a fashion statement.

Several companies offer quality frames, with conveniece user features. I see no advantages of any other company over the BA's. I also make lenses for other frame manufactures.

Remember, seeing the target clearly from the blur line (trap) to the shot is one of the most important aspects of shooting high average scores. I consider it the most important for me, since I have developed a proper form, found gun fit, and have the gun set up to center targets as it relates to my timing and sight picture preferences.

Shoot'em in the center.

Maltzie

#14 ·
Rich.....Trivex is only 10% higher in cost from the lab than Poly, for the same Rx. The manufactures drop test noted is government standard 1/4 inch steel ball 150 fps, and not what some in the shooting sports industry is comfortable with. The Bob Allen company shot a pair of their 8 base glasses at 20 yards with a trap load and the poly lenses made it through the test without a shatter or pellet penetration. I can also put a poly lense on the top of a workbench and pound it as hard as I can with a rubber mallet to no ill effects, or drive a 16 penny nail through a poly lense without a shatter. Also ZiessAR coat a poly lense to improve its clarity, make the poly even harder to include more scratch resistant and protect my clients eyes better. I'm charging my customers $55.00 for the ZiessAR gas coating, while most clinics charge $100.00 for the same treatment. Its not about making money, I rise in support and feel strongly about the treatment and for safty.

I am obligated to my agreement with the Boyt/Bob Allen company. At the same time, I regard the mix of poly and plastic development, now called Trivex as a great lense for the street, even shooting glasses, just not for the safty minded Bob Allen execs. I would be glad to make Trivex lenses for other frames while making certain the user understands the difference.

Maltzie

#15 ·
I have been wearing Oakleys since 1991. I also had trouble with the earpieces with the Blades line. However, I have been wearing M Frames for close to 10 years and have never had a problem other than replacing scratched lenses. I have a pair that I wore every day on several deployments to the Middle East with no problems what so ever. The persimmon is a great color for cloudy days as well as hunting in timber where there isn't much light. I used the VR28 lens, which is a dark orange, for a long time on sunny days and loved it. It increases contrast and made it easy to pick the target out of the background. However, I just got the new G26 lens. I have used it half a dozen times and don't think anything can beat it for sunny days. I can't speak on the Decots. I have never tried them. However, everyone I shoot with wears them, I am the only one in the club that wears Oakleys. For me, it has nothing to do with fashion. I just go with what works.

#16 ·
Has anyone tried the Cabellas glasses? They seem to be reasonably priced for a set of glasses and 4 lenses - $30. I have a set of Oakley half jackets with three lens set that I use for golf but the cost of a couple new sets of lenses (clear or the VR28) is pretty high.

Specifically I am really looking for help in low light or overcast conditions. There are a couple of targets at 5 stand that even if I am staring at the trap I still cannot pick up until its too late.

#17 ·
I'm pleased with my purchase of Randolph Ranger XLW's. I bought a 3 lens shooters package and they really make a hell of a difference in these dim winter days. What an unfair advantage they give over a person without...

#18 ·
Best shooting glasses:

Best glasses are set up so the only thing I see is an undistorted target through the lens without the top bar or bridge being visible. Think high tower shot coming from behind.

Best glasses have lots of ventilation with a tight fit across the brow. I shoot pistols too and hot brass wedged there burning my forehead is not desirable. (Frequently this means the are high riding on the nose bridge and open on the bottom.

Best glasses protect from blown debris.

Best glasses are strong and shatter resistant.

Best glasses are available in lots of light lens tints available as well as some darker ones.

Best glasses are well fitting so they stay in place preferably shaped so Croakies work. I prefer the old style. http://www.croakies.com

Best glasses have nothing to do with fashion in the ain't I pretty mode.

#22 ·
Try Wiley-X. Forget the jokleys. I researched long and hard for new shooting glasses. Mainly for field use, but for the range as well. I can even wear these on the street because they look good. Most, if not all, their glasses are safety rated to military specs. Trendy styles, great lenses and filter selection, and if our speciaal ops guys can wear them they're good enough for skeet. www.wileyx.com

#24 ·
My Rangers have held up for about 7 years and I also like Sunbuster for hunting.

#25 ·
Oakleys are good. I used them for years racing my bicycles. You can get just about any lens you want.

I had called Oakley for the new G26 lens and I was told I need to get the fram also. I told Oakley I have the pro-fram and all I needed was the lens. Answer sorry but you have to get the fram and lens together.

I went out and got the Ranger XLW's. All I can tell you it was worth it. I got all the lens and 2 CTM lens that I use most of the time. Why 2 CTM? Because the other for my wife and we share the lens kit. It work out fine for us.

Oakley are good and I still use them on my bicycle. But for shooting Ranger's are the best :D and nice people to work with. :D

#26 ·
Just wanted to post a follow up that the Cabellas glasses were a great purchase at $30 for the frame and 4 lenses. I've kept them in my bag as a backup pair and a pair that I can lend out if shooting with friends. If anyone is looking for a very economical 4 lens set I would recommend them.

But for me the Oakley Half Jackets remain the best choice. I already had a three lens set for golf and the vermillion'ish lens works the best. They also fit my face and wrap around my eyes enough to cover my peripheral vision. This is the problem I could see myself having with the Ranger XLs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.