CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kassnar Zabala
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:32 am 
Field Grade

Still looking for a light upland SxS .... I've found a Kassnar imports Zabala from the 60's or 70's . I know that some of the Spanish imports had "issues". Soes anyone know the quality of this particular gun ? Approximate value ( offer price) for one?

On a side note... anyone familiar with Larona shotguns ? What's the quality of these ?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Kassnar Zabala
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Muensterlander wrote:
Still looking for a light upland SxS .... I've found a Kassnar imports Zabala from the 60's or 70's . I know that some of the Spanish imports had "issues". Soes anyone know the quality of this particular gun ? Approximate value ( offer price) for one?

On a side note... anyone familiar with Larona shotguns ? What's the quality of these ?

Thanks!

It's hard to say without actually seeing the gun, but Zabala makes/made guns to a price point. Importers in that time frame were very competitive, so odds are that the gun is not all that high quailty. This does not mean, however, that it is not a good gun or a good buy.

If you let us know what YOUR price point is, I'm sure you'll get a few suggestions on a lightweight field gun! :wink:

Frank

Post subject: re: Kassnar Zabala
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:32 pm 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Both Zabala and Laurona made "price point" guns back in the 60's as did AyA. There were several levels of these guns with, perhaps, the Aya Matador being above any of the Kassnar imports. All three makers made and still make some exellent shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Kassnars are junk pure and simple. Never saw one that the barrels were even close to being regulated. I mean feet and several feet off of the poa. I would not 5 cents for one

Muensterlander,

what is the price range you are wanting to stay in? I'm pretty sure that there are several options open to you. What bore size are you wanting, and are you set on a sxs or o/u or just light weight? Give a little more information and hopefully someone here can steer you in the right place. I once picked up a model 4 AyA in 95% condition for 400 bucks!!! Finds like that are rare but there are still some real finds to be had.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:45 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks All . As far as price goes, I could go as high as $1000 for the "right" gun, but would like to stay somewhere below that if I could . I would like to stick with a SxS rather than an O/U if I can find one in my price range . I'm looking for a 20 ga. but would consider a 16 . Lightness is a major concern for me, however, I don't want to sacrifice quality just for light weight .

There's a fellow on here that has a Laurona 20 ga. I'm considering . Any thoughts on that ?

Last edited by Muensterlander on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:42 pm 
Crown Grade

Have you looked at SKB yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:00 pm 
Field Grade

Actually, I have a post right now on the SKB forum in reference to theis sxs's . However, it seems that most people are pretty proud of their skb/ithaca's .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:16 am 
Tournament Grade

Muensterlander,

If it would me I would buy the Ugartechea on sale under the sxs tab on this site. The gun weighs 6 1/2 lbs which is plenty light, and once you pick up a gun modeled after the English game guns you will never want to shoot anything else. I know it is a 12 bore, but just shoot 1 oz loads in it, that is the standard 20 load any way. The recoil will be nill and I promise the pattern will be beautiful. Besides that when you go after phez you can shoot 1 1/8 oz loads and be shooting the heavy field load of a 20 in a 12 bore. The reason I always carry a 12 is the versatility of the gun. All else being equal shooting a 20 load in a 12 the pattern opens quicker, recoil is less, and the shot string is shorter. I don't think you will be happy with a sxs with a pistol grip and beavertail forearm, I may be wrong. That type of gun typically has no better balance or feel than a auto or pump. Get a gun with a splinter forearm, and straight grip, and double triggers, only takes a couple of rounds on the clay course and you will be sold on how handy those things are. Like I said the difference in feel and balance is incredible. If you absolutely have to have a 20 then go to gunbroker or auction arms or guns america and buy a english game patterned sxs. The cz 20 on this site seems like a decent buy, they are decent guns but not of the quality of a Uggie, AyA, or many other Spanish makers. Good luck.

FWIW I need to put the standard disclaimer, I do ot own the gun don't know who does, but I do know Uggies are great guns.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:31 am 
Utility Grade

Kassnar imported a lot of shotguns, some good, some bad, some middle of the road. I have a Kassnar import and it shoots just where I want it to. It is rock solid, fits wonderful and I use it all year round. As to getting a side by side or an over under.....get the side by side. My over/under sits in the gun storage. Some of the Kassnars came from Italy and were very good pieces. The look, fit and finish can say a lot about a gun. Look at how the barrels fit to the action. Check wood to action fit. Look at everything. Between a Spanish or an Italian as opposed to a Russian or a Turkish, go Spanish or Italian. That way you avoid soft metal which the Russian and Turkish pieces are prone to. You might want to go with a Ugartechea, as they are wonderful pieces.
Schoe