Shotgun Forum banner

1921 Parker Bros. 12ga. VH #2 Frame Value?

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  snayper 
#1 ·
Need help on this one:

I was given the task of selling a shotgun for a female friend of mine, and since I am more of a military firearms collector, I need help on value. This shotgun was handed down to her and she now wants to sell it.

Here is what I do know: Based on the serial number, it is a 1921 Parker Bros. 12 gauge side by side, VH grade, #2 Frame, 30 inch Vulcan steel barrels, M/F, with original Parker medallion on the pistolgrip, and with a Pachmayr recoil pad which is not obviously original. This shotgun was apparently professionally refinished by someone over the years and is in super excellent condition. The bluing is 100%, the wood is 100%, the receiver is polished however all metal engraving is sharp and intact, which confuses me because based on my limited research I believe that all Parkers had casehardened receivers. The inside of the receiver does have traces of case colors but the exterior is brightly polished and frankly looks stunning, if not original. Whoever refinished it did a superb job as the gun looks new. The wood to metal fit is as original and tight, the checkering is sharp, and the wood does not appear to have been refinished at all.

If I were a bird hunter, or shotgun collector, I would buy this one on looks alone and would have no problem taking it in the field or to the range for clay practice. I gave up bird hunting over twenty years ago and have no need for it.

I would appreciate any input as to value. I have photos I should probably post and but can also email. My email is tc@getnet.net

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
You're right, all Parkers were case colored. The Refinisher did a superb job of lowering the value of a nice Parker.. Photos would help, but the gun will likely fall into the $600 to $1000 bracket.. The # 2 frame is the least desireable.. of the 4 sizes available for the 12 bore...Bushrod

#4 ·
It breaks my heart to see a parker polished out and blued like that. There is a special place in hell for a "gunsmith" that would do that to a gun. :cry:

Anyway, it would make a good shooter. In my opinion, it is about a $700 gun.

#6 ·
I'm a shooter, not a collector so origionality is not a big deal to me. Quality of restoration is a bigee, though. Reblued metal, varnished stock, rounded edges and bright frame...$500.00 max. Assuming the ribs are still intact, about $350.00 to make it presentable and that with the knowledge that sooner or later, those ribs will seperate. Sorry to be unable to give you better news than that but some body pretty well ruined a shooter.

'Lonzo

#7 ·
Thanks all for your comments. Like the expression goes, "the truth hurts", but I do agree with the devaluation due to refinishing. I feel the same way when I see once fine military rifles that have been customized and sporterized. I will let the owner know and let her make a decision on it.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.