Shotgun Forum banner

Huglu Shotguns

44K views 52 replies 36 participants last post by  cap671 
#1 ·
Anyone out there with info on these Turkish made Huglu shotguns? I see them in the stores. They look nice but as we know it's also what's inside that counts.
Mike

#2 ·
It is about a 50/50 love hate thing. For every report of a thrilled owner you will find someone who is really upset. I think it is a " yous pays your money, and yous takes your chances"! Me, I quit looking at them!

BP

G
#5 ·
Right now one of our guys caught a flight to Turkey to specifically purchase huglu shotguns for all of us. He has called back and said that they are by far the finest shotguns he has ever laid eyes on. Many people were planning on buying other weapons while over here. After seeing the shotguns though most have dropped their orders for Kimber customs, AR-15s, et al. and just gone with the shotguns. I myself have purchased 2 over under with the hand engraving. Those are not cheap! I got a nice christmas suprise from my credit card. The quality of the wood and the metal work is by far the best my guy has ever seen. Even on the cheaper models. So far we have bought a stack of shotguns for everyone that measures 5' high by 20' long. My inital plan was to buy one for myself and sell the other one when I got home. Now I'm looking at keeping both of them. As far as "my guy" over there, trust me, he knows his weapons. It's still a strech and I won't be home to shoot them for a couple more months. I'm sure that they are worth every penny though. If you have any more questions I'll bookmark this website and check it from time to time. Hope this helps! LT G

#6 ·
Ultra Mag - I believe you are mistaken. Although they are both made in Turkey and have similarities from what I have gathered (primarily at SGW) DeHaan's are being marketed separately.

As a matter of fact if you check the CZ-USA site (see links) you will see an announcement that CZ will become the sole distributor (importer?) of Huglu as of 01/01/05.

Hey - that's almost here :!: :eek:

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE . .

#8 ·
I don't know about the finest shotguns I've ever layed eyes on!! :shock: :shock: They are good bang for your buck. And as far as taking a trip to Turkey just to buy shotguns is regoddamndiculous. For the cost of airfair you could purchase 4 shotguns. I don't know...LG T's reply was like a huge "Reach Around" for Huglu WOW

Sam

#9 ·
I have a Huglu 20 ***** SXS from Dehann's before he became Dehann's. Overall am pleased with performance, but do admit I had some troubles. Sent it in for warranty work on one instance of doubling and some metal work on the bore. That being said, Mark now @ Dehann was very responsive and I would consider another if I were in the market.

#10 ·
I have one of Dehanns I think. It's a SO Model, 28", DT, Straight grip. I picked it up used because former owner did not like the manual safety. I used it for waterfowl hunting this year and really enjoyed it. Don't like the shinny receiver though. Oh well I got it very reasonable, so can't complain too much.

#11 ·
I have one that I'm having a bit of a problem with. If someone has had a similar problem and has some suggestions I would sure appreciate it. It's a 28 ga SxS and it opens very stiff. I thought it would free up with a little use. After about 140 rounds, it no longer will open enough to load it. I have to take it apart to reload it. Any help?

#12 ·
My word! Am I the only one with a DeHaan S2(28ga) that has not had any troubles so far? While this is not my only shotgun by any means (over a dozen SxS-O/U) one of which my wife would kill me if she knew what I paid for it. This little gun has had a couple thousand rouds thru it with no problems. The only thing done when recieved was a cleaning and then to grease contact points and then open and close 100 times a day for 5 days to wear in action before firing. Has been a good little gun so far. Just one mans experience.

#14 ·
I have two DeHaan's, and love them! The 28 ga O/U had a problem with the rib, which was fixed under warranty. The 20 ga SxS has about 400 rds through it and I have had no problems with it so far. Will be using it on Sporting Clays when it warms up.

DeHaan guns are from Huglu, but are made to his specifications. He also checks the internals, etc on his guns before they go out the door. And his customer service is the best in the country. Ask for a 7-day return policy from any other manufacturer/dealer and see what they say!

The DeHaan's did have some problems with firing pins, but I am sure that Mark has that under control. If you have any questions, I would suggest that you call and talk to Mark or Cody and they can answer your questions.

#15 ·
As a long time (some say old) trap and sporting clays shooter, I have seen the Huglu's come and mostly go. Yeah, a few guys had problems and sent them to DeHann for repair. For whatever reason, most end up selling them and moving on to something else. Resale is pretty dismal, but if a nice one came along at a good price, I would not be too afraid of buying one if it fit meand only after a complete inspection.
Reality is that they are not much less than substantially more proven Rizzini's, SKB's, used 101's, Citori's, or Beretta 682-687 series shotguns. I have a Lanber 2097, have shot over 15K rounds with it, and found the Lanbers to be the best sub $800. o/u available...I picked up mine 5 years ago from CDNN at $499.

#16 ·
I have a cz, huglu 20 g. bobwhite. I bought it used in new condition. Over all it's a nice gun with one big drawback. The trigger pulls on both triggers are very heavy!!! Ihave not put a scale to it but this almost 61\2 lb. gun can hang from the front trigger and not release. The back trigger will release after a momentary delay. Anyone else have such stiff triggers? For the price of the gun I can't see having them worked on though. I'll probably use it on a futer trade. I didn't have snap caps with me when I bought it and none were offered. That's what you get at a place that mostly sells rifles and not shotguns. Thanks.

#19 ·
I purchased a DeHann S x S last year. I think it is one of the nicest guns you would ever see. Everyone who looks at it thinks it costs a lot more than it did.
I really like shooting it. I don't shoot it very well, but it is not the gun!

#20 ·
I am not what I would call an expert but I lived in Tukey for 8 years while in the military and purchased over a dozen Huglu shotguns. I personally believe they are one of the premier shotguns available. They are hand carved and crafted with the most precision. To really look at them up close is an amazing sight. I presently live in Turkey since I retired and visit the states each year. I did talk to a well known gun dealer and offered to supply them with these wonderful shotguns but they seemed to think getting parts is difficult. I am not sure why they would think this especially when I am telling them I live in Tukey. If I can get the guns then I can get the parts. Anyhow, I have not had any problems with my guns and my own son swears by them. He shoots skeet and trap and will not use any other brand of shotgun. I even have one here in Turkey that I couldn't ship to the states because ATF said it holds to many shells. It is a semi-auto. The over/unders and side by sides are the ones I would suggest buying. If yoiu can get one of each with the same carvings then you will be very pleased and never loose your investment. By the way I have not heard anything about Hulglu being taken over by any other company. As far as I know they are their entity. I have never heard of this other company. They may have partnered up as a stateside sales rep for Huglu. By and taked Huglu over or merging here in turkey I have not heard anything. I will try to check it out and post something at a later time. I can call the Huglu factory and try to get some information. Well I hope this helps and I'll try to post something now and then. Take care.

Butch

#22 ·
DRIGGY said:
An '03 post dug up in '07/'08 and now again in '11. Huglu's have the rep they deserve. They've been here long enough to get a rep, mostly bad and but sometimes good.
Yep it is an old post but it is this type of response that will keep it going. When this post was started back in 03 most everyone will admit Huglu had a lot of problems. But if you have been following along you will also see that since about 06-07 most of the problems have been worked out and many will tell you they are quite satisfied with the newer Huglus for what they are designed for. Not saying some might not have a problem but every brand out there does. Those that owned pre 06 Huglus may have got burned and have a sour taste against them and justifiably so. In my collection I have an 07 and 08 Huglu and so far no problems.

#23 ·
I bought a CZ (HUGLU-made) SxS last fall and have been very pleased with it. It is my "rainy day" gun, and for areas where non-toxic shot ir required. Its not about to replace my Lefever of Fox, but is probably just as durable. The wood is plain, and the finish is dull; but it is a decent hunting gun for a reasonable price. Zero problems.

gold40

#25 ·
doubleslover said:
Yep it is an old post but it is this type of response that will keep it going. When this post was started back in 03 most everyone will admit Huglu had a lot of problems. But if you have been following along you will also see that since about 06-07 most of the problems have been worked out and many will tell you they are quite satisfied with the newer Huglus for what they are designed for. Not saying some might not have a problem but every brand out there does. Those that owned pre 06 Huglus may have got burned and have a sour taste against them and justifiably so. In my collection I have an 07 and 08 Huglu and so far no problems.
I've bought one Huglu SxS and have no problems as yet with the gun.........
What bothers me about this double Lazarusian post is that I'm seeing Bolen7164 conducting an blatant pitch.....that I resent.....Art

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.