Shotgun Forum banner

Merkel 200e Price Check

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Gunnut 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing a Merkel 200e over/under in 12 gauge. It is literally NIB, with box, proofed in the early 1970s, but otherwise unfired. 28" barrels, with cheek piece, but no sling swivels. Double triggers, pistol grip. Choked .025 and .035; case colored and bluing appear 100%, as does wood. 7 lb weight.

Seller wants $3400. Fair price? If not, suggested fair price?

Thanks for any input.

Tom

#4 ·
The gun will not be rated for steel shot.

Double trigger and pistoll grip not a god combo. The DT is wonderful but a PG goes better with a ST

It's the steel shot thing that is beginning to bother me - you already cannot use it on waterfowl. What's next?

#8 ·
I lived there for 12 years and my collection nearly cost me my marriage!!! I wouldn't buy anything long distance from Germany. Unless you are there and can inspect guns in person, its just not a good idea. I look when I go, but its a hit or miss thing. Right now the dollar isn't worth squat, so the big price advantage is disappearing and the competition for good used guns is enormous.
You need a trustworthy connection on the ground..DO NOT buy long distance.

JMHO...

#9 ·
First, I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and input.

After reading these posts and several pm's that I exchanged with a number of you, I have decided to go a different direction with a more modern shotgun.

As some of you now know, I already have a 16 gauge 200e, which I love as a field gun. The idea was to purchase the NIB 12 gauge 200e, have Briley chokes installed or just have the chokes opened, and use it in my sporting clays league. In essence, my thoughts were that I would be shooting a gun that I love, that had much the same feel as the gun I hunt with, and if my sporting clays scores did not improve much or at all, who cares -- I would still be having fun (I am not a very competitive sporting clays shooter).

However, the Seller won't budge on the price, and the long term viability of my sporting clays range is an issue. If the range goes out of business, I may have no where to shoot, and I really have no other use for a 12 gauge over/under. I suspect that re-sale would likely be an issue. And then there is the steel shot question: if Illinois does something stupid and mandates steel shot for all shooting, or all shooting on public lands, then I would have questions as to whether the gun could be used without damage.

So, much as I love Merkels, I think I will look at the Caesar Guerini Summit Limited for this purpose. It's right about the same point in my budget as I could have done with the Merkel, and really, about as much as I want to spend period.

Thanks again for everyone's help and time.

Tom

#11 ·
Price is a bit high a new one cost 2750 (I bought last week). The 200E is an old model the new one is 2000E. So you should get a large discount.

When it is used then about half. Overhere the shelfs are full of them because most hunters and shooters are looking mobile chockes and go for a Beretta. Therefore the prices for Merkel are in relation for what you get low.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.