Shotgun Forum banner

Need info on a 1942 Bolt Action .410 Shotgun

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Rick242 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently come in possession on an old .410 Bolt Action, Single Shot Shotgun and was wondering if any experts out there could comment on it form the markings I describe and hopefully a few pictures.

On the side it has:
MA
Lithgow
S.M.L.E
III*

On the top it has: W4T18
And their is also other numbers and markings towards the end barrel. It looks like it belongs in a museum! but is in good condition. Will post Pic if needed.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Yep. That is a SMLE converted to .410. Some of those guns were not considered safe to shoot due to locking problems. They used to be available by mail back in the 50s for about $10.

I almost bought one once but got a almost new Winchester M37 in .410 for $19. Today the Winchester is worth over $500 and the SMLE is still worth $10. :lol:

#5 ·
Converted aye? So why did they convert these to a .410? Was it originally a 306? I think it has been made in Australia as it has Lithgow scribed on it.

And why arent they safe to fire!? Still worth $10?
Also, What type of .410 ammunition will it take? 3" or 21/2" ?

#6 ·
Origionaly, it was a MKIII, no 1 Short Magazine Lee Enfield produced in Australia. Those produced in Australia were marked Lithgow with 340,000 having been made there. I am unaware of locking problems with any SMLE conversion because the action is of a rear locking design. I suspect A5 Guy may be thinking of headspace problems caused by replacement of the bolt head. These were made in different lengths to simplify head space control- an entirely safe system to insure a properly headspaced rifle with minimum fuss. The problem occured on surplus rifles assembled of parts with inadequate concern being given to the correct size bolt head being installed.

Since the rifle was designed to contain over 40,000 psi pressure it would stand to reason it would contain a .410- IF THE PROPER BOLT HEAD IS INSTALLED. Have a 'smith check it before firing.

Mausers were also converted to shotguns with most conversions requiring both front locking lugs to be ground off. This created a potentialy unsafe conversion which, in my opinion, shouldn't be fired. About a few million Germans would disagree with me.

'Lonzo

#7 ·
I would suspect that the gun was originally made in .303 rifle caliber. Correct?

I forgot that the SMLE had the locking lug at the rear. I am just very leary of converted WWII military rifles becasue of a horrible accident that I witnessed back as a kid. The gun was a converted Mauser like the one that 'Lonso mentioned.

#11 ·
The Mauser conversion had no front locking lugs but relied on only the saftey lug to contain the pressure. Apparently, this worked ok until it no longer worked, in which case some one died.

The SMLE uses locking lugs on the rear of the bolt, so the front lugs removed from the Mauser aren't there to begin with. The Mausers were made into 16 bore (some others but the majority were 16's) with far greater shell head areas allowing more back thrust to the bolt head; more force applied to an already weak rear lug.

TAKE YOUR ENFIELD TO A GUNSMITH FOR APPRAISAL!!! The only way to determine the safety of a gun is to have it in your hand, know what you're looking at and base your descision on what you see.

'Lonzo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.