Shotgun Forum banner

Winchester WSF Powder

13K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  shootist87122 
#1 ·
Hello all, Ok so I bought this powder the other day it is Winchester WSF powder and now I can't seem to find any load data on the powder I was wondering if anyone knew the load data for it or where I could possibly find it, the hulls I am using are winchester universal super targets. any help would be great.. Thanks a bunch.

#7 ·
Ok i tried and it comes up as universal powder not wsf,, now is universal the same as wsf, or is it a totally different powder?? lol.. i'm not new at realoading but i this is my first time using this kind of powder.. lol :) This is all of my imformation on what i am using,

Winchester 2 3/4 inch polyformed shotshell
my shot is lead
with a shot weight of 1 1/8 oz, a waa 12 wad, my powder is winchester wsf, my primers are winchester 209 and my hulls are winchester universal super target, AA once fired hulls....

hope this makes sense lol

#8 ·
Shell: 2 3/4" WINCHESTER COMPRESSION - FORMED AA & HS TYPE PLASTIC SHELLS

Load Type Gauge Shot Wt. Powder Primer Wad Powder Wt. (Gr.) Pressure Vel. (ft/s)

Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. WSF Win. 209 WAA12 27.5 8,700 PSI 1310
Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. WSF Win. 209 WAA12 29 9,900 PSI 1365
Lead Shot 12 1 1/8 oz. WSF Win. 209 WAA12 30 10,600 PSI 1400

These were the only recipes for that type wad and WSF.

There was no data for WSF in polyformed hulls.

Good luck

Brad

#10 ·
Brad F said:
Here's the website.

http://www.wwpowder.com

Doesn't look like there's any data for that particular hull.

I use WSF in 20 & 28 gauge. Works great. (I know, the safety police are going to get me for loading shells with no published data)

Brad
Winchester does not advocate use of WSF in the 28 due to pressure issues in testing. This was reported a while back in this forum.
It does appear in the Lymans #5 in the 28 and the 20.

#11 ·
I switched to it in 28 ga when winchester discontinued 540. I got the recipe word of mouth. I had to back it down a couple of bushing sizes to get it down to 1200 fps. Ended up using the same bushing I'd been loading with 540. Haven't given it another thought since. Nice soft load that really crushes targets.

Brad

#12 ·
WSF is a 20ga target powder and is also suitable for heavy field loads in the 12. I've never seen any load data for any powder using WW's promotional priced "Universal" hulls in either gauge. Lyman's 5th has a considerable amount of data for WSF in other (and better) hulls.

#13 ·
bigcanadianbuckhunter,

There is a very good reason that you cannot find data for loading that hull in Winchesters load data. It's simply because Winchester DOES NOT recommend that this hull be reloaded, and therefore does not publish data for it's use. Just that simple.

That being said, you can reload the cases, but it should be limited to just once or twice, and the hull then discarded. THe hulls are too flimsey to be trusted for multiple reloads, and the base wads have a habit of coming loose with multiple reloads.

You can use AA data, as the internal shape and capacity of that case is very similar, and so reloads the same. Use this case only in reloads of moderate Chamber pressures, such as Target loads or Light Field Loads. Never use it in Heavy Field or Target loads with chamber pressures exceeding 10,000 PSI.

As for the 28 gauge, Winchester Ballistitions have determined that WSF has a tendancy to have pressure spikes which occur randomly and unexpectedly in this gauge. They therefore DO NOT recommend it's use in the 28 ga. and NEVER HAVE, since the powder was introduced on the market.

All I can say to you, or any other person using this powder in the 28 ga., "You are litterally taking a huge chance on damage to your guns, personal injury, and/or injury to others. If the Manufacturer and Distributor of this powder says "Don't Do It", then you are taking a huge risk in doing so.

To those who disagree with the above statements, there's no need for rebuttal. Facts are facts, and refusal to follow the recommendation of the manufacturer is simply, for lack of a better word, ludicrous.

Winchester's Ballistitions have the equipment to determine whether the powder is safe to use in certain usages. I dare say none of the ordinary reloaders have access to such testing equipment, and are simply loading by the seat of their pants.

DLM

G
#14 ·
In my experience, WSF is a terrific powder, with several good qualities to recommend it. I use it in preference to several other famous standard-application powders for this or that job.

In this or that gauge application.

#15 ·
Brad F said:
I switched to it in 28 ga when winchester discontinued 540. I got the recipe word of mouth. I had to back it down a couple of bushing sizes to get it down to 1200 fps. Ended up using the same bushing I'd been loading with 540. Haven't given it another thought since. Nice soft load that really crushes targets.

Brad
Hodgdon HS-6 is the same as the old Winchester 540. I switched to HS-6 when 540 was discontinued.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.