CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TOZ-120 and Baikal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:47 am 
Utility Grade

I am new here so I'll say hello to everybody.

I am planning to rejoin the party with an o/u 12/76 russian shotgun. TOZ in not imported in my country (Romania) but there is an occasion to buy a fresh new 120 model. I can also pick almost any IZH model from the nearest shop. I know the guns are fairly similar in terms of performance, probably I'd go for the TOZ.

I'd like to hear people owning both for some pros and cons, thank you!

ps.I'd like to say that the main pros for the TOZ is bcause it is rare here and also somehow cheaper.

Post subject: re: TOZ-120 and Baikal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:40 am 
Presentation Grade

I have owned both sotguns in the past (IZH-27 and TOZ-120).

They both served me well. I prefer the more contoured appearance of the TOZ over the chunkier shape of the IZH, but that is only my opinion/taste.

If the price difference is not big, it comes to personal preference and personal fit and taste.

Both are excellent choices for a budget over/under. Good luck and let us know which one you end up with.

...and welcome to shotgunworld.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:39 pm 
Field Grade

I own a TOZ-34 ER with 12/70 chambers and an IZH 27 12/76 with 5 exchangeable chokes (*-*****).In my opinion the IZH 27 is a more work horse gun compared with the TOZ and lets not forget that the firing mechanism of the IZH 27 has a lot of similarities with the legendary Browning B25!!!!!
I would go for the IZH 27 beyond any doubt if i wanted a magnum
one , but if you prefer the 12/70 gauge don't hesitate to buy the TOZ 34-E. (the elements of mechanism of the TOZ -34 is been found to some degree common to latest shotgun models (e.g Browning Cynergy!!!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:21 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you all for the replies, I just called and the TOZ was sold out.

But now there is another option against for the o&u: the semi. MP153 has very enthusiastic owners. Well, this is a pretty different issue, in a day or so I'll visit a shop just to hold them both.

I found that o&u vs semi has very strong supporters...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:58 pm 
Field Grade

I agree that O/U VS Semi has a lot of supporters.In my opinion the best shotgun for you is the one that it matches with your personal anthropometrics measures and feel more comfortable when you aim a moving target. It also depends of the game you are familiar with. I expect to hunt ducks with a semi MP153 but if it comes to woodcock or quail or grouse hunt I would definitely go with an O/U.In conclusion I think both of the shotguns you are interested about is a cheap priced shotguns but are built with high quality to last through harsh conditions with minimal service.
The choice is yours. Let as know what you choose.
I think both of them is a good choice!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:48 pm 
Field Grade

I have a MP-153 that fits me perfectly; I also own o/us but different brands.
Tweaked it a bit: polished the bolt sliding surfaces, the locking block, action bar slides, rounded and polished some rough functional corners, a little trigger work and gave the stock a completely new oil finish.
Shoots like a charm and cycles everything from light target to super magnum loads with no adjustment to the gas system.
All in all, a very good and reliable gun.