Shotgun Forum banner

Keep It Friendly...Might Apply to YOU

108K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  Yuchi 
#1 ·
I'm seeing way too many flames, personal attacks and product bashing/stalking on the forums. Here are some tips I sent to a user by the name of
"Mr. IhateeveryoneI'malwaysrightyousuckandmybuddieswillrunyouofftheforum".

1. You are not ALWAYS right.
2. There is never a GOOD reason to insult someone.
3. Do you treat people like this in face-to-face social events?
4. You weren't born with the knowledge, so at some point you must have known absolutely nothing about shotguns, too.
5. People helped you out....return the favor.
6. This is a privately owned venue and we aren't bashful when it comes to asking the unruly to leave....no matter who you are.
7. Every manufacturer of every brand has a Customer Service department and a Return Merchandise process....do you know why? Because no brand is perfect.
8. If we could buy the $3,000 shotgun we probably would, but when you can only afford $700 then that's what you buy. I apply the same reasoning to buying the Subaru rather than the Rolls-Royce I saw in a magazine.
9. Unless your gun tests included pictures of your children don't be offended when people disagree with the results you post.
10. Respond with courtesy and respect. Picture yourself talking to the other person face-to-face if you have to.
11. "Friendliest gun forum on the net" is something we make every effort to protect.

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess I'm lucky not to have been brutalized for my posting asking for advice on an inexpensive S X S! While a couple of the replies I've gotten have questioned whether a S X S for under $1K will be worth a darn, they have all been polite and written in the spirit of providing advice. Nobody has flamed me, questioned my parentage or anything similar. Everybody has been VERY friendly and free with their advice (albeit some more directly than others.) In fact, one post that suggested my budget would not allow the purchase of a decent S X S went on to suggest I check out Dehaan and I'm pleased to say that is the route I'll probably go. So I guess that post was (to me) the best one I got. Thanks for having his site and to all the GREAT people here!

#3 ·
12. This is the opinions forum where you will get honest opinions; both positive and negative. If you are looking for validation, post in the "I Love my..." forums.

#6 ·
There are sometimes arguments that break out... they tend to fall into one of two categories:

1) The quality (or lack thereof) of inexpensive SxS and O/U's
2) Someone who asks a question and doesn't get the answer they want and gets upset about it...

Other than that, folks tend to get along pretty well around here.

#8 ·
Hello all,
My name is Muhammad and I am a new pharmacist just starting my career. I am an immigrant to the U.S. and served in Operation Iraqi Freedom. I am still in the USAR (E-6) I am looking for a commissioned officer's spot on the TBA but at present would I would lose money on the commute.
I became interested in shotguns in pharmacy school. I bought an old High Standard 12ga. at a hock shop and use it to hunt rabbits and birds. I really like shotgun hunting, although I am a terrible marksman. I registered in this forum to learn about all things shotgun. I would like to buy a newer shottie and I am hoping to gain from the many fine opinions here.

Peace

#9 ·
Muhammadrph-Welcome to Shotgunworld! If you enjoy shotguns you are going to love this site! There are a lot of very experienced high volume shooters and gunsmiths here (I am neither). I'm just a blue collar hunter that reloads a little. By the way, a High Standard is a good gun. I have never heard anything bad about them. As far as your shooting goes all I can suggest is "shoot more, shoot more often"!

#12 ·
I became a member of this site about 2 months ago when I bought an SKB 605 Sporting. I am completely addicted to this site now. I get information overload. There's virtually no information on shotgunning that you can't find here. I have posted about 5 topics, 3 of which were looking for guns and 2 asking questions about guns I have. I've had 2 "know-it-alls" jump my case about things I've posted, and I responded quickly but respectfully to set them straight and that seemed to work really well. Those 2 responses have not diminished my opinion of this site. If you are not a true shotgun enthusiast, you will soon become one after being a member of this great site.

#13 ·
Hi guys Im new here and thought Id post a few words on my way out the door.
I recently purchased one of the cheap O/Us mentioned above and sure enough just like drsfmd said I left the thread with an *** full of arrows

For any that care... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=278486

I think what escapes some of the locals here that have extensive shotgun knowledge is that new people have no way of knowing this about you until theyve been around a while longer and are able to see you prove it. Since theres no shortage of people that like to present themselves as experts online a new guy taking what you say with a grain of salt shouldnt be met with attack especially since we're dealing with firearms here.

Having had the welcoming I did from this site Im not in any hurry to post anymore questions about my new gun here. I have no doubt the people that can help are here but running into machine gun fire to get to them is simply not worth it.

#14 ·
john,

I just re-read the thread you posted. I'm sorry, but I can't generate too much outrage over the replies you received. A couple guys were too sarcastic for my liking, but no name-calling took place or insults hurled. If you want to see really SPIRITED debate, just read any threads where inexpensive O/U's are discussed.

As I see it, you were basically looking for affirmation that you made a good purchase decision. When you didn't receive it, your posts took on a whole different tone. Some folks responded to this change in tone.

Although I can't recall your Maverick coming up for discussion before, we've had many conversations about the quality of the Mossberg O/U's. They have been uniformly negative and the responses you received reflected this.

I wish you much luck with your new gun and hope that you choose to seek out our advice before selecting your next one.

P.S. Here's the thread papaac was trying to direct you to before you got snotty with him:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=253741

#15 ·
See this what Im talking about.... I specifically asked OTHER OWNERS how they were getting on with THEIRS. Where do you get looking for affirmation in that? My question was very specific as far as who I was asking it to and that mess of a thread is what I ended up with.

My tone changed and the gloves came off after being straight up being called fool and that same mans little "you know more than everyone" rant. Fool= Insult to me and Im not sure how else I can take that. Same with being accused of trolling after just posting my conversation with Mossberg.

I didnt get snotty with papaac I honest to god thought he might have been cracking a joke,"IE what I was looking for didnt exist" and I took it in good humor with no come back at all...Snotty???

There were a few other people that chimed in that obviously saw it the same way I did so I really dont think Im imagining things here. The only part of this that ill own up to is not sitting there and letting some guys take shots at me without recourse.

As far as your reply to me goes Im not looking to outrage anyone so no worries. What I am saying is that I wont be looking for any answers here and this is why nothing more. For any that are interested I will continue to post how this gun fares while I own it good or bad.

#17 ·
John...

First let me say that I am no elitist when it comes to shotguns. The people who offended you will confirm that. Be it drsfmd, BarryD, papaac....they will all tell you I have a fondness for inexpensive shotguns. In fact, like your Maverick O/U, my favorite shotguns all come from Turkey. Shotguns made in Turkey are like shotguns made in any other country. Some are great, some are good, some are OK and some are crap.

QC in Turkish shotguns is generally not as good as that found in better known and more expensive shotguns. That is just a fact. But then you are smart enough to expect that a $350 shotgun is not likely to be built to the same standards as a $2,500 shotgun....right?

That said, there are plenty of good shotguns coming out of Turkey and many of them are priced much lower than similar models produced in other countries. In short, a Turkish shotgun can be a great gun for the money and some of them are just flat out great guns.

As to your Maverick/Khan.....If you got a good one and you are a hunter or casual clayshooter you may be very satisfied with it. I hope you are.

Personally, I'm a low volume shooter. Probably around 2500 to 3000 rounds per year and I have been very happy with the Turkish shotguns I have bought....11 so far IIRC.....

That said, I wouldn't buy a Khan shotgun. If I won one in a raffle, I'd sell it to raise some cash for something different.

I wish you good luck with yours.

#18 ·
The friendly nature of this forum makes it stand out from some which seem to be used as vehicles for abuse and which, in my opinion, are often inadequately moderated. When you have a friendly atmosphere there is no 'point scoring' but a fraternal exchange of information - keep up the good work! Keep it friendly (and informative).

#19 ·
Refreshing reminder from owners of forum--
I appreciate the sincere tone of the majority of busy people who take their time to share their experience. Most folk seem to understand that opinions are just that, and the reader must be expected to use some discernment when seeking advice online.
What is eroding the historically high quality of SW is the blur of posts by "alter ego-i-am above-it-all-and-act-like-it" character(s) that exist only in the imaginary mindlessness of ego. Why?
A character created solely to mock and annoy. For what purpose? Perhaps it's just us old guys... Maybe we just don't get it.
Respect and courtesy are timeless values, they don;t come and go as some would have you believe.
Despite whatever talent they may have, --- or whatever 'lesson' they are so graciously offering to bestow upon us wee masses, it is a waste of time of sincere people and ultimately discourages the free exchange of ideas, experience, and knowledge. It creates a 'false bottom' for those among us that are new and genuinely asking for help. It discourages the vast richness of experience as no one likes to be mocked.
And when the guys who truly are experienced begin to hesitate, even a little, in their willingness to put their opinions out there-----the subtle smell of rotten eggs begins to drift in.

When those 'who know' ...don't bother, because those who know 'it all'... just farted..
it stinks for everyone.

#20 ·
kisskillsall said:
i posted a topic on the spr 310 a few days ago and it turned into a mess. when i post a topic especialy as someone new to the web site, i dont want to have to read arrguments to find out the info im looking for :roll:
Yeah, whats with all the arguments on the site lately? I'm seeing more and more "know-it-all" responses lately..?

#21 ·
Hi, my name is Steve and I'm fairly new to shotgunning and hunting. Never had the time nor the cash when my two children were growing and at home. Now with my empty nest in place, I suddenly have more time and surprise, more $$. I've posted a bit here but have been a bit skittish to really ask in depth questions thinking I might get trampled! I'll just will have to buck up and ask my questions regardless of my newness etc. Thank you for a wonderful site. {hs#

gh

#22 ·
glenhunter said:
Hi, my name is Steve and I'm fairly new to shotgunning and hunting. Never had the time nor the cash when my two children were growing and at home. Now with my empty nest in place, I suddenly have more time and surprise, more $$. I've posted a bit here but have been a bit skittish to really ask in depth questions thinking I might get trampled! I'll just will have to buck up and ask my questions regardless of my newness etc. Thank you for a wonderful site. {hs#

gh
Everybody here is generally friendly or at least civil. Visit the "Opinions Forum" or "Politics Forum" at your own risk.

#26 ·
Oldogknewtrick said:
Refreshing reminder from owners of forum--
I appreciate the sincere tone of the majority of busy people who take their time to share their experience. Most folk seem to understand that opinions are just that, and the reader must be expected to use some discernment when seeking advice online.
What is eroding the historically high quality of SW is the blur of posts by "alter ego-i-am above-it-all-and-act-like-it" character(s) that exist only in the imaginary mindlessness of ego. Why?
A character created solely to mock and annoy. For what purpose? Perhaps it's just us old guys... Maybe we just don't get it.
Respect and courtesy are timeless values, they don;t come and go as some would have you believe.
Despite whatever talent they may have, --- or whatever 'lesson' they are so graciously offering to bestow upon us wee masses, it is a waste of time of sincere people and ultimately discourages the free exchange of ideas, experience, and knowledge. It creates a 'false bottom' for those among us that are new and genuinely asking for help. It discourages the vast richness of experience as no one likes to be mocked.
And when the guys who truly are experienced begin to hesitate, even a little, in their willingness to put their opinions out there-----the subtle smell of rotten eggs begins to drift in.

When those 'who know' ...don't bother, because those who know 'it all'... just farted..
it stinks for everyone.
X2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.