Shotgun Forum banner

20 gauge versus 12 gauge for Sporting Clays

55K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  mercury89 
#1 ·
Ok im pretty new to this and am looking for advice. I just started shooting sporting clays, I have used a rented O/U that works ok but I would like to get my own gun. I will be using the gun primarily for sporting clays but also for skeet. I dont think I will be able to afford a O/U so Im currently looking at autoloaders but what would be better for my purposes, 12ga. or 20 ga.?

Thanks.

#4 ·
Unless you are smaller than average in stature, a 12 gauge will give you more options. Any load that can be shot from a 20 gauge can also be used in a 12 gauge but not the other way round as far as the heavier loads go. A 12 gauge will be cheaper to service and possibly cheaper to buy and the ammo will usually be cheaper. Most 12 Gauge Semi-auto's are heavier than 20 gauge versions which helps smooth your swing out and damp the effects of recoil for that long practice sessions and tournaments. Having said all that, the most important thing about a gun is that it fits you well, is comfortable to mount and swing and consequently puts the shot where you point it. See if you can try a few of the models you are interested in before you decide, preferably in the presence of a shooting instructor who may see important things you are unaware of.

I am a great fan of 20 gauge shotguns, owning a few myself, and they are great in the right circumstances, but a good fitting 12 gauge is probably a better choice to start with.

#5 ·
For skeet and sporting clays, and upland birds and bunnies, a 20 gauge is fine. (And in MOST cases, so is a 28!)

But for trap, turkey, waterfowl, deer and black bear, I'd want a 12, and consider it a "must" for an all-around gun.

For a first gun, I would recommend a 12. Then, as you become more experienced and affluent, you would want to consider a smaller bore.

BobK

#6 ·
For a long time my high score at Sporting was shot with a 20. I find that I can shoot a 20 about as well as a 12, scorewise. When I drop to a 28 my score promptly goes to hell. 100 paks at Wal Mart are the same price for either gage if you aren't reloading. I am a fan of Benelli autos and would check out the Super Sport as it comes in both 12 and 20. The 12 is more versatile but I believe a 20 would suit your purposes as stated. OTOH, if I could have only one shotgun it would be a 12.

#7 ·
I much prefer 20ga now for Clays.
I'll choose it for myself almost every time.
I enjoy carrying the light gun and the smaller shells for the long trek on the sporting clays course.

But absolutely get yourself a 12 gauge first.
It's the "price of entry" gun much better for everything.

A 12ga does make it easier to hit all the shots.
I don't know any serious shooter who purchased a 20ga first. (I know they're out there)

It's the standard gun for Sporting clays, skeet, trap and upland.

Once you get addicted and really "dailed-in" with your shooting you should get yourself a 20ga as well. A 28ga too. :wink:

Enjoy, Roger.

#8 ·
For a first gun, I would recommend a 12. Then, as you become more experienced and affluent, you would want to consider a smaller bore. BobK
I agree :wink:

I much prefer 20ga now for Clays.
I'll choose it for myself almost every time.
I enjoy carrying the light gun and the smaller shells for the long trek on the sporting clays course.

But absolutely get yourself a 12 gauge first.
It's the "price of entry" gun much better for everything.

A 12ga does make it easier to hit all the shots.
I don't know any serious shooter who purchased a 20ga first. (I know they're out there)

It's the standard gun for Sporting clays, skeet, trap and upland.

Once you get addicted and really "dailed-in" with your shooting you should get yourself a 20ga as well. A 28ga too.

Enjoy, Roger.
Agreed again......Could not have said it better... :wink:

#9 ·
Thanks guys. It seems like everyone is pretty much in agreement on the 12 gauge so it looks like that is what Im going to get.

Now I need to just figure out what gun to get. Ill probably try out a few when I get the chance just to see the fit and feel of the different brands/models.

#10 ·
12's the most versatile. If I go to the club with plans just to join up on whatever game's being played, I take the 1 oz. AA Extra-Lites by Winchester and my Benelli SuperSport. Using No. 8 shot and having 6 extended chokes, it's a pretty verastile and reliable setup.

#11 ·
mercury89 said:
Thanks guys. It seems like everyone is pretty much in agreement on the 12 gauge so it looks like that is what Im going to get.

Now I need to just figure out what gun to get. Ill probably try out a few when I get the chance just to see the fit and feel of the different brands/models.
Please, dear god, do not make the mistake I and so many other did and cheap out on your first purchase.

Stick to the tried and true names. B Guns and dare I say it, remingtons have broken many a clay for generations.

I cheaped out, because I wanted an o/u and found one with pretty duckies on it. Turned out to be a tent peg, even fired a shell when trying to open it. Sold it for a BPS and have been with browning ever sice. Used and new, they are all GREAT...

#14 ·
For sure, get the 12ga.first, it will be your more all around gun.The Beretta 391 series is a great gun to start with.When you go to the 20ga, you will probably go with an O/U, which will be a few more bucks.

#16 ·
ClayKllr said:
12 would be my choice unless recoil is a big issue. With proper mount and fit, the 12 should not be a problem.
Recoil is not an issue, I have been shooting 12s and I have no problem with it. I just wasnt sure if there was some unspoken advantage to a 20.

unkleschilke said:
Please, dear god, do not make the mistake I and so many other did and cheap out on your first purchase.

Stick to the tried and true names. B Guns and dare I say it, remingtons have broken many a clay for generations.

I cheaped out, because I wanted an o/u and found one with pretty duckies on it. Turned out to be a tent peg, even fired a shell when trying to open it. Sold it for a BPS and have been with browning ever sice. Used and new, they are all GREAT...
Dont worry. I realize that I need to spend a little money to get a decent shotgun. I dont have the money for a o/u so Im going to get a semi.

My budget is up to around $600-$700. So used Rem. 1100, 11-87, Beretta 390/391 all seem possible.

Another gun that I have seen that seems to get good reviews for a really decent price is the Mossberg 930. Does anyone care to comment on it? Good/Bad is it worth it for the money or am I better off waiting around for a good used 1100? The 930 seems like a good first gun but maybe not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.