Shotgun Forum banner

Mossberg 500 shoots high... is this normal?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  oneeyedjack 
#1 ·

I bought a Mossberg 500 12ga Persuader for home defense purpose. It has an ATI synthetic collapsible stock.

I did some research on the stock and some people said that the stock was too high for a proper cheek weld.

When I bring the gun up for sight picture, I see the top of the barrel... should I just see the bead sticking out?

I shot 20 slugs today and my mossberg shot 8" high at 10 yds. I held the gun tight and I didn't feel anything in my shoulder but my right jaw stung a bit... Am I doing something wrong?

See less See more
#3 ·
did you post this on TFL under a different name?

Here's what I posted over there for the same question.

I'm a newb here, as well as to shotguns. I just purchased a 500 last week that came with that same stock. I can tell you that there is no way to get down on the sights because the stock is to high (don't know what they were thinking).

When I asked the duck hunter at the local store how to properly fit a shotgun, he told me that when sighting, you shouldn't see any of the barrel, just the bead over the reciever. Can't happen with the ATI stock as it sits too high.

I've taken my gun to the range twice now for a total of about 45 rounds and not had any problem with shooting it. I just throw it up and squeeze the trigger. It shoots where I want it to at 10 yards, and that's good enough for me. I don't know what it's called (pistol would be point shooting I guess), but I never did anticipate using the sights.

#4 ·
razz said:
When I bring the gun up for sight picture, I see the top of the barrel... should I just see the bead sticking out?

I shot 20 slugs today and my mossberg shot 8" high at 10 yds. I held the gun tight and I didn't feel anything in my shoulder but my right jaw stung a bit... Am I doing something wrong?
No, you're not doing anything wrong. The stock is not allowing you to get your eye (which serves as the rear sight on a shotgun) low enough. And by pushing your cheek/jaw hard into the stock you suffered the consequences. If you want to do precise aiming with slugs, you'll need rifle sights or a dot (Aimpoint)and maybe a different stock. Otherwise, the stock is fine for home defense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.