Shotgun Forum banner

The Fulton Special by The Hunter Arms Co., Inc.

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  natty bumpo 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new here and was hoping to garner some information about the
subject shotgun. Same ole' story I guess, my dad gave me the gun several years ago and I've never fired it. Just put away in a closet. Fly fishing for trout is my passion and I've not done much bird hunting, although the 2 or 3 times I've been I have enjoyed it immensely! A customer of mine, and also a good friend, has invited me to join him and shoot some sporting clays. Wouldn't think my gun would be the appropriate choice for clays, but thought I would ask the resident experts here.

I will try and describe the gun as best I can.

It is a side by side configuration. 28" barrels. Gauge, that is a good question. I know it's not a 12 as I had a box of 12 gauge shells lying around and they will not fit. Any way to tell if it's a 16 or 20 without buying and trying the shells?
Appears to be a walnut stock and handpiece. Pretty nice checkering. Pistol grip. Engraved with a single woodcock and quail above ground cover on opposite sides of the block.
Decorative curlycue engraving on the bottom of the block.

Engraved on top of left barrel Hunter Arms Co. Inc., MFRS.
Engraved on top of right barrel The Fulton Special.

Dual trigger, non-selective. How do you tell the choke of each barrel?

As to condition, I would say it's excellent, but I'll have to check with my Dad and see if it was restored or otherwise brought up to snuff.

The gun is not for sale, and I'm not really interested in its value although i guess it would be good to know an approximate value.
Just hopeful of learning more about it especially the gauge and choking, and approximate year of manufacture.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and please advise of any more info you might require.

Bob

See less See more
#2 ·
bobbyg,
From your description, your gun sounds like it is a Fulton Special. They were available from 1916-1934. The cheek pieces of the stock should be checkered also. Most of these guns left the factory with full/full chokes, but could be ordered with any choke combination.
As far as telling the gauge, if a 16 ga., a 5/8" (.625+/-) dowel should fit in the barrels if full/full. A little looser if modified. A 20 ga. the dowel will be very loose.
These guns were an inexpensive box lock gun that was very dependable and now there is a lot of collector interest in them, especially in the lower gauges.

#5 ·
The Hunter Arms Fulton, Fulton Special and Hunter Special are some of the best values in guns in the market today. If your gun is truely in excellent condition, it would value in the $600 range. howevr in the other post, you felt it may have had the barrel shortened, which would put it more in the $300 range.. Hunter also made quite a few of these guns for Sears Roebuck Co. These were marked "Ranger Precision Grade" and are better finished than the Fulton..Bushrod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.