Shotgun Forum banner

Grandpa's Shotgun - Savage 720

17K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  phishisgroovin 
#1 ·
My grandpa's shotgun was recently handed down to me, and before I gave it some much needed cleaning, I wanted to get some information on it.

It is a Savage 720 serial #714XX, 21" barrel w/ compensator and 3 chokes.

My grandpa was a career military man, starting in the Army Air Corp in WWII. I think this shotgun was acquired sometime during or after WWII, but not sure. It has been stored in attics and garages since, and suprisingly is not in too bad shape.

I'm trying to find some history on this gun.
I also want to know if I should shoot this ****** or just leave it to look good in the corner. What types of loads should it cycle? Is the reciever supposed to be bare metal or did someone remove the blueing. And whats up with the funky compensator?

Thanks

See less See more
#5 ·
This is a Savage M720 that was sold to the military during WWII. It came from the factory with a cylinder bored barrel (****) and the Cutts or Weaver choke was added later. In the original condition it is worth about $1800 to $2000 but since it has been modified, I can't say what the value would be. The choke device could have been added by the armory for use on a military skeet or trap range. At any rate, the gun is priceless to you since it was your Grandpa's.

While these guns were sold to the military as trench/riot guns, most were used by gunnery crews as trainers as Gogmatt mentioned. They were made on John Browning's patent as were the FN A5 and the Remington M11 & American Browning. The military M720 serial numbers ran in the 69,000 - 90,000 range.

These are good solid guns about on par with the Remington M11 and will last a lifetime. Most parts are not interchangable with the Browning of Remington guns.[/i]

#6 ·
Thanks for all the replies and info. I found out a little more about this gun. The aerial gunnery training aspect makes sense, my granpa flew B-24 Liberators in WWII. The Cutts compensator was added sometime shortly after the War, and the shotgun was used for bird hunting in Europe during the immediate post-war years. It apparently didn't survive the trip back to the United States because I was told the blueing on the reciever was so pitted and rusted it was removed sometime in the early 1960s.

I have no intention of selling this, I'd like to make it a shooter and do some dove hunting. Will I be doing anything wrong if I get the receiver re-blued?

#7 ·
Yeah, that gun looks like it "was rode hard and put away wet"! But it should be a GREAT shooter, and a good memory of Grandpa, a true family treasure.

I wouldn't worry about rebluing it, no problem if you want to!

Just make sure you get instructions from someone with an A5 or similar on how to adjust the friction rings for heavy loads vs. light loads (it's easy to do) before you use it.

BobK

#8 ·
I tend to "leave 'em be". As long as you're not dragging it out on rainy days and willing to be a little extra-careful in keeping the bare metal protected, the old girl should wear her age proudly. You want something shiny to shoot doves with? Pick up something that's already shiny! ;)

As for collectors and value... I find that there are just some folks that go ballastic every time a "flaming bomb" is threatened with a buff and blue job. I don't go quite that far, but I do think most of them should be left as they are to be used and treated kindly in their old age.

BTW, neat shotgun, neat story. Cherish it whatever you decide to do with it.

#10 ·
Asphalt Cowboy said:
A little late finding this.

I'm not that familiar with the Savage 720, but do know the Rem. 11's. Does the 720 have a recoil cushion such as the Remington has? If they do and you have it re-blued the cushion will need to be replaced. Hot salts blue will destroy the cushion.
Not sure, I know nothing about this type of shotgun. What is a "recoil cushion?"

#11 ·
The Remington is the only one with the fiber cushion.
Savages do not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.