CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steel for Doves
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wisconsin DNR in their ultimate wisdom has deemed we must use steel shot for doves this year, on all DNR lands.

Could those of you who have had to use steel for doves in the past give me a little guidance as to shot size. I have been
successful with size 8 lead shot for doves in the past.

Would you go down to 7.5 or 6's in steel? Thanks for the help.

Post subject: re: Steel for Doves
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:20 am 
Crown Grade

Although I havent shot any yet I did buy a case of steel from winchester called expert, They are affordable (on sale at bass pro sometimes 5.99 a box) the thinking is number 6 to replace the 7.5 I use in the lead shot. The xpert comes in 12 or 20 gauge and some reports I have read here are they work fine.

Although I dont have to use steel yet dove hunting where I go, I want to try some and see If I like them this year. Some places I go Quail hunting in Nevada does require steel shot. So if the steel #7's work out dove hunting for me Ill use them on the Quail too.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This was brought up on another site that I visit and I believe 6's were the consensus. And just like waterfowl loads - the faster the better. The Lightning Steel loads were popular choices for those that wanted to reload for it.

I am the NRA, and I vote

"In the eyes of a tyrant, the patriot is a terrorist.." - DCx2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

I got some of those cheap Xperts in 20ga 3/4 #7 steel and shot them at Sporting. The targets broke as long as I was on them. Most of these light (3/4 oz-1 oz) cheap steel loads are in the 1,325 to 1,425 fps range, more than enough velocity to kill these birds.

For doves, if you use a 20ga and your shots are out to about 30 yards I would use the #7 steel as I have in the past on many doves. Doves are small targets and require good pattern density. However, if your shots are 40 and out then I think the #6 steel is probably a better pellet. Pattern to check them out and if the #6s patterned good enough (particularly in a 12ga) you might be able to use them for all shots.

Like most hunting and pellet selection, it really depends on how far out your shots are and that is dependant on where and how you hunt so you will need to make that determination.

For quail, I would lean more towards the #6 steel. Quail are a little bigger than doves so they shouldn't require the pattern density of doves, and most shots are going away which negates some pellet velocity/energy and those going away angles don't present as may vitals to the pattern so larger pellets help to push through the body. Of course, if you are shooting them over good pointing dogs at close range most anything will work.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Rule of thumb that I have heard often repeated is that when selecting steel shot size, bump down 2 from what you would shoot in lead.

If correct, steel #6 equals lead #8.

That being said, I haven't shot dove with steel yet. This year is going to be the first.

I have shot ducks with steel. #2 steel killed them dead. #4 was not very impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:56 am 
Field Grade

I use number 7 steel for doves.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:08 am 
Crown Grade

I did some measuring, 10 pellets of lead and 10 of steel. One pellet of #8 lead weighs 1.06 grains. One pellet of #7 steel weighs .92 grains. Pretty close, except I suspect that that the steel needs to be going much faster than lead to overcome it's surface resistance. Not a problem because steel loads usually go 100-200fps faster than lead loads.

How fast is a pellet of #7 steel launched at 1400fps going at 30 yards? I bet it is pretty close in energy to #8 lead tossed at 1200fps. Anybody got any hard numbers?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

Jandat, don't sweat it... With doves, #6 & #7 steel works great as long as you don't try to extend ranges beyond what you'd do for lead. There's more pellets in 1 oz of steel (less dense) vs. lead (more dense). So, even when you drop down 2 sizes from lead, you still maintain pretty much the same pellet count and get good pattern denstiy oz for oz. i.e. A 1 oz load of steel #6 will have a comparable pellet count to 1 oz of #8 lead. Steel does tend to pattern tighter, so it's best test it in your gun.

Here are some websites on steel shot:

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.steelvslead.html

http://shotshell.drundel.com/steel.htm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:35 pm 
Field Grade

I tried out the Winchester #6's and #7's. Good ammo out of my 20 gauge sxs. I will be shooting steel from now on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

bbanbury - thanks for the info. - very interesting on both sites.

Now, who loads steel and where to purchase at best price the shot, wads and what powder and loading data - this is a new adventure but I bet 1 1/4 oz. of steel 6's would put the hurt on some doves going approx. 1350 fps. out of an IC choke.

Hunting was good in No. Texas but only morning doves but limits both days in approx. 1 hr. over Texas sunflowers. The wind the 2nd. day from Gustav was approx. 40mph. with gust to 50mph. and if you caught them going into the wind - oh was it fun.

Anyone shoot steel at skeet? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

1 oz of steel
#6 approx. 310 pellets
#7 approx. 420 pellets

1 oz of lead
#8 approx. 410 pellets
#7 1/2 approx 350 pellets
#7 approx. 300 pellets

Post subject: Re: re: Steel for Doves
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:25 pm 
Crown Grade

4th. down wrote:
Anyone shoot steel at skeet? :wink:

I'm doing that this wednesday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here are some sites that sell steel shot, wads, and manuals. You can also find steel recipes in the Lyman #4 & #5 manuals.

Buck Run Sports: http://www.bucksrunsports.com/

Precision Reloading: http://www.precisionreloading.com/2004catalog.htm

Be warned - reloading steel can be an expensive proposition...but fun like most reloading activities.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

For skeet get some #7 steel and I prefer to shoot my 20 gauge with the 3/4 oz Xpert or Sportsman loads (aver. 327 pellets) and Cyl/Sk chokes. If you miss you can't blame it on the ammo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:50 pm 
Field Grade

I shot steel at sporting clays last Monday. A buddy of mine said it was a good idea to get used to shooting steel since that's all we can sue in MO on public land.

I used #7 for the clays, and the dove's i shot yesterday. Worked great.