Shotgun Forum banner

Best wireless skeet remote control?

9K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  westwind 
#1 ·
Best wireless skeet remote control?

Hello, all!

First, I DID search this topic before posting this here (I value your time as much as my own). See below for "disclaimer."

Can anyone advise (based on experience, please) as to the best (reliable and cost-effective) wireless remote skeet remote / release control?

1. Do NOT need voice-activated, at this time (single field club is only looking to make life a little easier for volunteer [older, some physically injured, recovering, etc.] RO's, etc.)

2. Obviously need doubles capability but, following pairs would be a nice option

3. Our machines are Westerns, hard-wired.

I think that's it; however; if any of you with experience thinks I'm overlooking anything, please let me know!

"Disclaimer" :) : The search helped but, it got confusing as to whether or not what was being discussed were "voice-activated", which I do not really need, at this time. Also, it quickly became obvious this is an area where improvements are being made and "generations" are a factor. I would like most up-to-date options from which to choose, spend wisely on, etc.

See less See more
#3 ·
okay, thanks, this is not a critical need (thankfully). shame, though.

Oh, the following option would've just serve a purpose for when we use our skeet field for 5-stand set-ups.

#4 ·
If not to practice for registered skeet, all are great systems, but if your game is registered skeet, go with a wired release as the wireless sets I've tried have a noticeable delay.

The Clay Delay is reasonable priced and simple to set up.

A nice lineup of products are offered.....

http://www.claydelay.com/

A club we shoot at makes it simple to plug in the old hard wired release, as the plug is right next to the low house window. We always go that route. If the next squad wants to use the wireless release, no problem.

#5 ·
Thank you, Joe.

No, there is no 'registered' skeet shot at our sleepy little range -- just folks enjoying the targets, the time and each other's company!

okay, i'll go back to claydelay.com but, when i went there earlier, the home page specifies "this is the place for VOICE ACTIVATED" so, I didn't go any further, there . . .

(I am NOT looking for voice-activated ~~ just need a wireless remote with buttoins to push for singles or doubles.)

Thanks again.

Darn shame about the delay -- I am a bit confused as, we have key fob / wireless remotes on our portable sorting clays auto traps and there is no delay with those

(of course, one cannot throw simos off 2 separate machines with those wireless / key fob remotes, either! :-(

#6 ·
drsfmd said:
Skeet doesn't have following pairs... you won't fine a wireless release that does them automatically.

We tried pretty much every one on the market... none work as well as a wired release. There's a noticeable delay in the release.
All due respect, drsfmd, the Clay Delay model is available with report pairs, (of course not legal for registered skeet), but fun for recreational skeet.

It also can be set with all kinds of lengths of delay, or none, right up to just as instant as any wired system I have ever seen. (That is where I keep mine set/programmed at.)

It was good right out of the box, (once I set that programing to "instant"), but I have had a couple of "custom" modifications and I just can't tell you how much I love it now.

I have it set up where it runs a Pat Trap, a couple of old, old Winchesters throwing wobble skeet, (that is where the report pair ability especially shines!), a pair of Promatic skeet machines, and a pair of I believe GW something or other, Swedish made machines. I just can't think of the exact name right at the moment. A couple even take the same plugs, but those that don't no problem. A simple short adapter wire setup, (the necessary plugs on each end), takes care of it!

Granted the one I have is wireless, but they come wired as well for much less money. With wires they start about $100, and wireless models top out at about $400. Just manual, without the voice would likely cut the price considerably. One of the custom things I had put on mine is a mike shut off switch. That lets me pull manually for the rest of the squad and then turn the mike back on for myself. Or to talk to a new shooter, just learning the game. No accidental extra birds, even with it set to "re-arm", which lets one call for, (or manually launch), the next bird, without going through an extra "arming" procedure for every bird.

I think it's a much better piece of equipment than the much higher priced controller that I have seen used.

#7 ·
If you have any electronics knowledge you can build one for about $50. I built two prototypes since the commercial ones I looked at were in the $300 range, and I could not justify that price when the whole system is just a 2 channel transmitter/reciever and a few relays and power supply.

The first one I built was made from pirated radio controlled car parts. I repackaged the controller into a small project box with switches instead of joysticks. The receiver was hooked up to 2 servo motors which controlled the relays that serve as the 'buttons' on a normal wired puller. This was great and compact, with no perceivable delay. The issue was the need to have the servos in the loop. This added an unnecessary mechanical part in the system, but since I did not have the ability to analyze the waveform controlling the servos, I wasn't sure how to wire the relay without them.

The second protoype was made from a vehicle keyless entry system. I used the key fob as-is. The receiver was already small and well packaged, so I piggybacked it to a small project box containing the relays, a small battery, and the cord that connects it to the puller connection, wiring the 'Lock' to the high house, the 'Unlock' to the low house, and the 'Truck' to activate doubles. This version was inherently more reliable, but there was a delay in the activation of the houses. I believe this is from the decryption that takes place between the transmitter and receiver. However, it was absolutely fantastic to carry around nothing but a keyfob, and the range of the system was far enough that I could walk to the next field and pull, probably over 70 yards away.

I realize this might not be the answer you're looking for, but then again, maybe you are. If anyone at your club has even a small bit of experience with electronics, building a simple, reliable, and best of all CHEAP wireless puller can be done. I lost interest in making one that would be robust enough to use on a regular basis by the general population, but I'd be willing to go over the details of the components of anyone needs them. The hardest thing to find is the relays, no one seems to make relays that work at 5v on the low side, but can take up to 30A@110VAC on the high side. I think I wound up using relays spec'd for 9v on the low side and they just happened to also work at 5v.

#8 ·
Well gents,

I would like to thank each of you for all the input -- thanks to you all I now at least have a direction to head in, as well as questions to ask in avoiding any "surprises" (such as any undue delay, etc. Yuch.)

I think what I will do now is contact "Mr. Clay Delay" directly and spell out for him what it is we're looking for, obtain a quote and then "report back" to our club Treasurer, as requested.

It may be awhile; however; if and when we do decide to purchase and implement whatever we can all agree on (I know, more, I know, "more than 2 shooters 'agreeing' on anything", etc. :) then, count on me to report back here with our results!

Before posting here, I didn't even have a direction to go in so, again, thank you all.

#9 ·
gallonoffuel,

I apologize, I assume I was in the process of editing my earlier message as you were posting yours.

Well, all's I know about electrciity is that the stuff can kill you (my brother-in-law who knew me pretty well and who also did know a lot about 'juice' always told me I that was plenty for me to remember by itself and that I was (and my loved ones were) better off with me just knowing that about electricity. :shock:

In any event, you have sparked my memory sir as, one of our RO's just happens to be an elecrical wizard and; as I was reading your post, it occurred to me that I don't think he even has any idea we formed a committee just this morning to try and work on this issue.

I am going to contact him and the club Traesurer, now (again, count on me for report back if and when we make fire!)

#11 ·
drsfmd said:
Jugchoke--

That won't fit his needs.

1) It's voice activated... they don't want that
2) It can throw REPORT pairs, not FOLLOWING pairs (another bird off the same trap as fast as the machine can cycle).
Ahh, but I believe both of the above are available. All one has to do is order it as such. As a matter of fact, they state that it will match the cycle of the machine and throw the next one as soon as the machine is capable of it.

Going without the voice, would also help in the price, as I said.

#12 ·
I'm not certain where y'all get all this business about delays in wireless releases. I've never experienced any other than that which was programmed into the system in any of the systems that I have used. I've seen wired releases with unusual delays, however.

#13 ·
I agree Mike, although I have seen one, can't remember the name it carried, but was with 12 volt machines and a little key fob transmitter. That system really was a POS!

The Clay Delay, you can get with at least three programs loaded, and many more to choose from, including Int. Delay. I first had that, but found report pair, re-arm and the standard skeet, (or voice delay as they call it, adjustable from .1 to .9 second), better choices for myself.

And the unit can be adjusted to just as fast as any wired puller you have ever seen, with voice, or manual operation.

The fun part was when I first plugged it into one range's wobble skeet set up, but left the wired button hanging where it usually is. The guy who likes to do the pulling for everyone but himself grabbed the button and we started shooting. This was the first time I had used the report pair program, and the factory setting had a slight delay as it came, (not anymore!), I changed that asap!

We were on station two before the guy with the wired button realized that he wasn't doing anything! And then only because of that slight delay, which before the next round, I took care of.

Since I reset it, it is much better, more consistent and faster than any puller you will ever see.

#14 ·
Am I missing something here? All the remotes I've seen also have a button on them. So, if you don't want to use the voice, just push the button. It's not an issue.

We have the Ventriloquist system at Edwards. It works great with no delay and with either voice or button.

#16 ·
Rastoff, you are correct. You arm the system by pushing the button for the house you want and if you would like to fire them manually, there is a thin button on top and you push it and you have a system without the voice activation. If purchased normally you would have a system that would work for you manually and in the event that someone wanted to operate it by themselves they could with the microphone. And it is $1100 cheaper than the Canterbury.

#18 ·
Bulltahr said:
If it does all that for $395 then you can't really go wrong...............................
It can really do much more than that, depending on just what you order it with.

I regularly run mine from alone to with 4 other squad members. Since I have it with the continuous re-arm, (including the "flip flop", one house then the other), I seldom have to push the "select" house buttons. Only for the doubles, and to then go back to singles, plus the options as needed. Love that!

Had them put a switch in the mic line, so that I can just turn it off for the rest of the squad, and I can cough, sneeze or talk and it doesn't throw birds. My turn, I just turn it back on, take my turn at the station, and turn it back off for single push button operation for the rest of the squad.

Leave the mic unplugged and you have a non voice activated cordless unit.

Did I say that I love it?

#20 ·
Here's another vote for the Clay Delay in whatever guise you require. I've had the "Advanced" skeet voice release wired model now for several months, and I can't say enough good about the product or the company's service and courtesy.

For a total expenditure of around $180 ($150 for the unit and another $30 or so for a good 100' cord and an L5-15 three-prong connector) I can finally shoot skeet all by myself when I want.

#21 ·
Hello, All!

Just felt compelled to "report back": we used our Clay Delay Wireless Skeet Release last night and it functions / ed flawlessly !!!!!!

To say there was "no delay" upon puller pressing any traps button would not be sufficient -- the wireless unit was INSTANTANEOUS in all releases.

Everyone extolled not having to drag the cord around, "flip" it over anything in between Stn 1 & 7 (or 8) and the buttons required much less "thumb" than the corded 'Western' "pickle" units we're all so familiar with.

Much recommended!

Thank you all for our assist & feedback!

#22 ·
I live in Australia and was told that for the wireless model they have is going to be set it to an "international freq." so I'll have to wait for that one to come out. I'm not interested in the Canterbury model because apart from the price it is cr@p. We used it for the national comp and had many problems with it. eg calling and no target and in some cases yelling will not work either... if you go to the handset it has a delay that is not there if you use the voice activation. Alot of guys have said that if its not fixed by next year then their not going to the next National Comp.
I like the reviews the claydelay model has recieved so we'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.