CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Springfield/Westernfield Model 511 made by Savage
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:03 am 
Utility Grade

Hello all,

I swore I was a member of this forum before, but as it is I had to rejoin.

Can anyone here give me any information on this type of gun? Its a SXS shotgun made by Savage. I'm not looking for a value, just a quality measure.

Is it equivalent to the Stevens/Savage 311? Same quality??

I've also heard that the 511 was not made to be disassembled (for some reason which sounds odd)

Anybody out there own one? Shoot it a bit? take it down? Can you tell me about the choke markings if you have one?

Tell em what you can. :)

Sincerely and Masonicly,

Serb

Post subject: re: Springfield/Westernfield Model 511 made by Savage
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a 20 gauge Savage/Springfield model 511.

The 511 is an economy grade gun that is actually cheaper than the model 311.(Hard to believe I know). The forend is held in place by a screw, not the traditional spring latch of the 311.

The 511 can be broken down but it is a more complicated process than the 311.

Under the forend is the cocking mechanism. It is a round pin surrounded by a coil spring. One end of the pin engages the front part of the action while the other end engages a lug on the underside of the barrels.

To separate the barrels from the action you have to tap the end of the pin sideways to remove it from the barrel lug. Then the barrels will separate from the action. The pin is under pressure from the coil spring so you have to watch for flying coil spring. :shock:

I bought my 511 in "as new condition" on a consignment rack for $145.00 in 1983. Despite it's super economy grade status it has never failed to go bang and has brought home many a squirrel and rabbit.

Mine has 28 inch barrels and is choked improved & modified via the brass choke gauge. I don't think it has any choke markings on it.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:21 am 
Utility Grade

THANK YOU Brian.

That helps alot. Besides the stock and forearm, the barrels and boxlock look well made and its in dang good shape for $250

So, Brian, considering your opinion, do you think I should hold out for the 311 since it may be alittle bit better quality and easier to disassemble???

..."I'll put my eye out for christ's sake!!" ~ Gavin Mcloud in A Christmas Story

Serb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi Serb,

For $250.00 it would be pretty hard to go wrong with the 511.

I take my 511 apart every couple of years, because it is sort of a pain in the butt to get it apart & back together. It doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects from this minimal cleaning.

While the action and barrels of my 511 are very well finished, the stock is extremely plain and I think it is birch rather than walnut. I do think that the 311 is finished to a much nicer level.

It might be tough to find a 311 in excellent shape for $250.00. Seems like you'd have to spend more like $400.00 or so.

Are you looking at a 12 or 20 gauge??

Bryan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Its a 20 gauge friend. Only reason I am considering it.

yes it does not look like it has a walnut stock on it, but I figured I'd either strip it or replace it since its close to the 311 with a walnut job.

Thank you for the advice. :)

Serb

Post subject: Re: re: Springfield/Westernfield Model 511 made by Savage
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Bryan Lee wrote:
I have a 20 gauge Savage/Springfield model 511.

The 511 is an economy grade gun that is actually cheaper than the model 311.(Hard to believe I know). The forend is held in place by a screw, not the traditional spring latch of the 311.

The 511 can be broken down but it is a more complicated process than the 311.

To separate the barrels from the action you have to tap the end of the pin sideways to remove it from the barrel lug. Then the barrels will separate from the action. The pin is under pressure from the coil spring so you have to watch for flying coil spring.
Bryan

Hey Bryan, i have the "savage westpoint 911" its the same non-disassembly thing, exactly like the 511. So im wondering how did you get the pin pressed back down on the coil spring and rod? and then back into barrel lug?
then back into the barrel lug?