Shotgun Forum banner

A. H. Fox / Sterlingworth

26K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Researcher01 
#1 ·
I am interested in information on my old Side by Side. It was made by A. H. Fox Gun Co. It has a serial number of 74882 engraved behind the trigger guard, and "Sterlingworth" engraved on the side.
Although I haven't used this gun, I want to go bird hunting again, and want to know if this gun is safe or, perhaps, too valuable to use in the field.

#2 ·
It appears to be from 1915

if it's in good condition it's about $800 worth of gun

The gun should be safe with moderate loads but I'm only a guy on the internet , have a gunsmith or long established gunshop owner to check it over for you.

#3 ·
I agree with the above response but I'm going to give you a few simple tests you can do to determine the condition of your Fox.
Make sure the barrels are clean and look down each one for any signs of pitting.
Run your fingers down the outside of the barrels to check for bulges.
Look down the outside of the barrels along the rib for any signs of rust.
Try to pull each trigger with the safety on. If you can do this have the gun serviced before using it.
Remove the forearm and with the barrels in the closed position, vigorously shake the gun from side to side. If there is any movement or rattling have the gun serviced before use.

Anything elso noted like cracks in the stock or dents in the barrels would preclude my using the gun until they were fixed.
Hope this helps
Jim

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. After posting yesterday, I found the manufacturing date of 1904. This places it a bit older than the first estimate.
While searching the web, I came across a site that showed a gun identical to mine, in not quiet as good a condition. It was listed at $1,095.00
I will closlely inspect my gun for any flaws you mentioned, and, as recommended, prior to using it, I will have it inspected by a professional.

#8 ·
My sterlingworth serial number is 513**. If some one could tell me the age of this firearm, that would be wonderful. One other question, there is a very small dent on the top of the right barrel. about 5 inches from the muzzle. if i had to guess id say it is about 1/16 in. deep.is this repairable? Thanks to all

#12 ·
Before I list everything, i just wanted to thank you again for all the help. Right side of barrel, Sterlingworth Fluid compressed steel Made By (than on to the left barrel) The Sterlingworth company-Philadelphia PA. USA. On the underside of the left barrel is the serial number 513**.
under the fore end the serial # is listed agian.
On the receiver the pat. dates are listed as follows--
Dec.02 1902,Aug.16 1904,Aug. 01 1905,Oct.15 1905,Jan.16 1906. the serial number is stamped on the reciever as well.
the serial number is engraved behind the trigger guard near the stock.
on both sides of the reciever it reads The Sterlingworth CO.
this is all the info that is on the gun. Thank you again for any help.

#13 ·
Hessian: you're messing with my mind.. You said you had an A H Fox Sterlngworth.. But you don't mention where It is written on the gun..I think you have a Sterlingworth, made by the Sterlingworth Company. of Philladelphia PA. Made in 1910... Ansley Fox didn't want his name associated with a cheap gun and the first 3000 Sterlingworths do not carry the Fox name.... Am I correct in assuming that your gun is not stamped with the Fox name....Bushrod

#17 ·
1434xx....1937.....

Strange...I just answered a sterlingworth question for NHgrousehunter about his 1914 sterlingworth...I have one made that same year...

Now yours with sn.1434XX....

Well my only other sterlingworth..which is one with the stock held on with a through bolt [experimental].......was made in the same year as yours 1937 [1437XX]....what kind of coincidence is that????

#21 ·
Probably you alls best bet for any of these Fox questions is to take them to the A.H. Fox Collectors Association, Inc.'s web site --

http://foxcollectors.com/My%20Forum/php ... 5b3c51cbe1

The A.H. Fox Gun Co. was founded in 1905. The Sterlingworth was introduced in 1910.

Sterlingworth -- When Ansley H. Fox, was forced to add a lower priced gun to his line of graded Ansley H. Fox guns, in 1910, he didn't want to detract from the A.H. Fox Gun Co. name, so they dummied up "The Sterlingworth Company." The first year's guns, beginning with serial number 50,000, were marked as being "Made By The Sterlingworth Company, Philadelphia, U.S.A." Actually the first few hundred were marked "Wayne Junction" instead of Philadelphia. They even produced a separate The Sterlingworth Gun Co. catalogue for 1910. These guns were built under the same patents as the graded Ansley H. Fox guns. The main moneysaving features were an American Black Walnut (Juglans *****) stock as opposed to the more costly European thin shell walnut (Juglans regia) stocks on the graded guns, and the "Sterlingworth Fluid Steel" barrels instead of Krupp Fluid Steel barrels. Workmanship on these early Sterlingworths was generally excellent, better than graded guns from the 1920's and 30's. The early "The Sterlingworth Company" guns had a rounded front for the side panel of the frames. According to my list of observed specimens that was changed to the same pointed profile as the graded guns by #51,301.

In 1911 this field grade gun was added to the A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalogue as the Model 1911. "Model 1911" is stamped in the forearm iron. (A very few graded guns made about this time are stamped Model 1910) The lowest Model 1911 serial number I've recorded is #53,140. All of these early Sterlingworths had a recessed hinge-pin head like Parkers, or Ansley's earlier guns made in Baltimore and the Philadelphia Arms Company A.H. Fox gun. The highest "pin gun" Sterlingworth serial number I've recorded is # 62,244. After that Sterlingworth hinge-pins are dressed smooth like the graded guns. When the small-bores (16- and 20-gauge) were added to the Ansley H. Fox line they were briefly referred to in some flyers as the Model 1912, but I've never seen one so stamped. Graded 20-gauge guns have serial numbers beginning with 200,000 and 20-gauge Sterlingworths 250,000. Graded 16-gauge guns have serial numbers beginning with 300,000 and 16-gauge Sterlingworths 350,000.

Most of the Philadelphia produced S-worths had the word "Sterlingworth" roll stamped on each side of the frame. After production moved to Utica, Savage started using a "Fox-Sterlingworth" roll stamp.

When the Sterlingworth came out in 1910 it had a price of $25. That climbed to $55 by 1919. A.H. Fox Gun Co. reduced the price to $48 in 1922 and again to $36.50 in 1926. Workmanship of course declined. Savage kept the $36.50 price until June 1932 when they upped it to $39.50. On February 10, 1936, they upped the price again to $42.85 (the digits 2 and 8 are transposed in McIntosh's book). On February 1, 1938, Savage tried a price cut and dropped it to $35. February 1, 1939, they upped the price to $44.75. January 2, 1940, up again to $48.50. January 2, 1941, up to $52.65 and June 16 up again to $56.50. January 2, 1942, up again to $64.95.

For $40 Graded or $30 Sterlingworth (last prices I've seen quoted) you can get a factory letter on most any Ansley H. Fox shotgun (Philadelphia or Utica) from Mr. John T. Callahan, 53 Old Quarry Road, Westfield, MA 01085. The information exists on the factory work-order cards, probably 85+% of which still exist. Send him the complete serial number and a check, and he can do the rest. That would tell you the specifications of the gun when it left the factory.

There were more 12-gauge Sterlingworths made than any other Fox double (some 110,000, the great majority with 30- or 28-inch barrels), so unless in exceptionally high condition or with features such as automatic ejectors or factory original 26- or 32-inch barrels, they are about an $800 gun. It is impossible to truly evaluate a gun with out having it in hand, but average 12-gauge Sterlingworths are about $800 guns.

#22 ·
I also have inherited a shotgun with A.H. Fox Gun Company of Philadelphia, PA from my grandfather. It is a Sterlingworth with serial number 1039xx. I am trying to determine what ***** it is and what size/weight shells I should use. I found some info indicating I should use lighter loads and 2 3/4 or 2 1/2 cartridges but I need some advice. The gun is in great condition but I am not sure what year it was made. Anything you can tell me about it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Nick

#24 ·
Hi, I'm new to the site.

I have just received a 20 gauge Sterlingworth side by side shotgun. I have looked up the serial number from the gun and it is was apparently manufactured in 1914. The gun is in great condition. Does anyone have an idea of what the value of the gun might be?

Thanks, and great forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.