Shotgun Forum banner

Where are the Okies?

32K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  casonet 
#1 ·
Just got into shooting clays. Was shooting trap and skeet out at OTA on Banner road, then discovered Twin Lakes out near Shawnee with their trap and sporting clays. Just paid my membership for them. Having a great time, hitting more than I'm missing so I must be doing something right. Was just hoping there were more Okies on here.

#2 ·
There's a few, but I don't see them down here. Mostly up in the sporting section, maybe trap.

I go over when I can, and yes, it's a helluva long ways but Silverleaf is the closest Sporting range to me :roll: :cry: and far enough, I've curtailed my traveling by about 75% of what I used to.

I know all the guys over there, been shooting for 15+ years in that area, all the way back to the days of "Southern Ranch Hunt Club" and OSC, Muskogee, Cedar Creek at Geary, even all the way back to "Thunderbird" at Seiling :roll: :roll:

Today, I can think of more guys that have quit than are still shooting, and who knows how much longer Jim will continue with targets at Twin Lakes. Had a ton of fun at Shawnee, some super targets back in the Tom Batt days.

#4 ·
Silverleaf IS a really nice place, exceptional by most standards and David knows how to throw an exceptional target, but they're sure down on throwing registered targets. Can't say I blame them, they're tired of all the *****in by registered shooters------when they can get groups, some very large groups at times, on the "Charity/Benefit" trail and they just have to throw XXX amount of targets, get paid, and everyone leaves happy.

I hate the thought of it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they quit throwing registered targets altogether. This would be a real shame, David is an artist of the game, when he wants to be.

#6 ·
My Daughter lives in Berryhill/Sand Springs area, I've shot at Tulsa Gun Club a few times----is that where you shoot? If so, did they ever get the 5 stand up? Any further along on getting the Sporting area going? I think a bridge was their greatest obstacle in doing that?

Oklahoma City Gun Club, is actually North of Arcadia, is a good little club, if you are ever in the area and want to shoot skeet.

#7 ·
TexasTon said:
My Daughter lives in Berryhill/Sand Springs area, I've shot at Tulsa Gun Club a few times----is that where you shoot? If so, did they ever get the 5 stand up? Any further along on getting the Sporting area going? I think a bridge was their greatest obstacle in doing that?

Oklahoma City Gun Club, is actually North of Arcadia, is a good little club, if you are ever in the area and want to shoot skeet.
I have shot at the Tulsa Gun club but would not be a member of there because they have very limited hours.

I belong to NAA Rod and Gun club out towards Coweta. Very laid back and I have never had to wait to shoot unless there is a group of scouts or high schoolers.

Only 2 Skeet Fields and a Wobble Trap. No Sporting Clays. But sure do love it.

Hub

#12 ·
Wife and I live in Yukon, and are getting into shotgun shooting. Joining the OKCGC mostly for their skeet and plinking range. Haven't been to Silverleaf yet, but it's on our agenda. She's never shot actual skeet, just clays off the bumper of a friends truck, and I've been out of it for over 10 years now-last shot at the Ramstein Rod and Gun Club in Ramstein Germany. Shot quite a bit back then, but not once since I got back to the states in 1999. Really looking forward to it. We have orientation at OKCGC tomorrow in fact, and can't wait for it to warm up just a bit, so we can start learning to knock em out of the air. I've shot a few rounds of 5 stand too in Germany, but never a real sporting clays course, so I'm really looking forward to trying Silverleaf sometime soon too.

#18 ·
Glad I stumbled across this topic. I live in OKC and shoot @ Silverleaf 2-3 times per month. If you haven't been up there it is worth the trip. They have 3 sporting clays courses, 2 skeet/ Trap field, 1 wobble trap stand, and 1 5-stand layout. Super friendly folks up there. Plus a $2 discount for picking up your own hulls.

#19 ·
I've been here in Oklahoma for going on 3 1/2 years now and my shooting has been limited do to one thing or another but will be starting up again by the end of the Febuary.
I did do some shooting at the OTA but prefer sporting. I've been up to Silverleaf but no as a shooter , I was keeping score for squad my step son was in during a charity shoot. Will be hitting Twin Lakes first as I've never been there yet and even think it might be closer to me than Silver Leaf.
Hey T.T. did you use up the primers I sold you awhile back by now ? lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.