CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg 500 Crown Grade?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:08 pm 
Field Grade

I've been looking at getting a shotgun and have pretty much settled on getting a 535. Have been and plan on mostly doing a lot of goose, duck and turkey hunting with it so I like having the option of a 3.5" shell. (Yes I know they kick like a SOB.)

Anyways, I have been keeping an eye on prices between Dicks and Walmart. I plan on buying one mid winter when I'll have the money from working overtime. At Dicks the other week they had the 500A on sale for $199, they normally sell them for $219 and just last night they had the 500 Crown Grade on sale for $239. I was wondering what the difference between the 500s are. So far I have seen models 500, 500A and now the 500 crown grade and I am wondering if anybody could tell me the difference. I asked the clerk behind the gun counter at Dicks if it was better blueing and better wood stock and you could tell she really had no idea and unconfidently shook her head yes and said she "thought" it "might" be more powerful also. I tentively corrected her that that depends on your shot size and bore, hence the back bore on the 835. So is the crown grade just better fit and finish??? and whats the difference between the 500A and the 500??? And if there is a difference between the 500s is there any differences in grade between the 535s?

Post subject: re: Mossberg 500 Crown Grade?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

jpow,

A Mossy 500 is a Mossy 500 as far as mechanical items are concerned. The Crown Grade will just have nicer wood and perhaps some engraving.

500A denotes 12 ga. and the 500C is the 20 ga.

A 535 is a 535 mechanically as well. There are a number of versions with wood stocks, synthetic stocks, blued finish, camo finish etc.

My opinion is you can't go wrong with the 535 as a multi-purpose hunting platform. I bought the Turkey/Waterfowl combo from Dick's this past winter before turkey season. They had it on sale for around $319 if I recall correctly, complete with the two barrels and a TruGlo red dot sight.

I use it for turkey, waterfowl and deer. I took my first turkey on opening day at 42 yds. using Remington Nitro Turkey loads. Of course I spent some time on the range first to learn how the gun patterns with different types of ammo. For deer I use the turkey barrel with an IC choke tube. At 50 yds. it'll shoot cloverleafs with the inexpensive Winchester 2 3/4" slugs.

I'd suggest you check out http://www.mossberg.com where you can view their entire line.

"I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog"-Bob Lee Swagger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:10 am 
ID & Value Expert
ID & Value Expert

Some years back, I won a M500 Crown Grade at a DU dinner. I shot it a little and then gave it to my neighbor who really needed to move up from his 16ga bolt action. It is his only shotgun and he shoots it very well. He has taken over two dozen deer with the gun as well as numerous rabbits, squirrel, ducks & geese, coyote and pheasents. The gun has never failed him in any way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:38 am 
Field Grade

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the information. I also appreciate the affirmation of my chose of shotgun. I knew about the different camo patterns and combo packages you can get but wasn't really sure if they had different grades or not. I've went to their website a few times but couldn't find anything about the difference between the 500 and the 500 CG, it didn't help that their site is slower than a dog without two hind legs. Now I know the answer. I personally like the wood stock over the camo pattern. That and I know a lot of people think it is an ugly gun but I think it looks better than any 870 Exp. Also being left handed the saftey is in a better place and I like the slide release too. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I own a 500 Crown Grade. The only difference I know of is that it has a metal safety and the wood does seem decent. I've dove and duck hunted with mine for 9 years without a problem.
Regards,
Jay G.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:18 am 
Diamond Grade

I believe the crown grade carries a lifetime guarantee. At least my Mossy 9200 Crown grade carries one even though they are not made anymore. Has been a great gun I use with a slug barrel for my Illinois deer hunting.