CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington 870 Express Interchangeable Barrels
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:46 pm 
Utility Grade

If I get a NEW Remington 870 Express Synthetic 26 or 28 inch long barrel shotgun could I also buy a interchangeable 18 inch long barrel for home defense. Also what is the difference the between 26 and 28 inch long barrel besides 2 inches?

Post subject: Re: Remington 870 Express Interchangeable Barrels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:25 am 
Diamond Grade

Welcome to SGW ri2300

Lot's of good folks around here who will love to help you with your (what will soon be) new addiction. :D

ri2300 wrote:
If I get a NEW Remington 870 Express Synthetic 26 or 28 inch long barrel shotgun could I also buy a interchangeable 18 inch long barrel for home defense?

Yes there are many different types of barrels made for the 870 (and with a few exceptions) all will interchange. The 18" HD would run you about another $119.00 from Cabela's

ri2300 wrote:
Also what is the difference the between 26 and 28 inch long barrel besides 2 inches?

Depends on your intended use of the barrel. If you want to use it for clays or bird hunting the longer (and a little heavier) barrel will probably give you a smoother swing. But that depends on your physical build too.

Most stores likely stock the 28" version...get your hands on one and see how it feels to you.

Lot's of stores usually run frequent sales on the 870, typically with the 28" barrel. If it's not on sale this week it may be the next.

Also ask your dealer or check the Remington website, there is a rebate promo going now that will get you another $30.00 back. But it ends on 12/31/2008

Hope this helps a little.

Just saying...

Post subject: re: Remington 870 Express Interchangeable Barrels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:35 pm 
Field Grade

what are you intending on shooting with the longer barrel?

the 28" or 30" will give you a longer sight plane and should give you a smoother swing. i have a 28" on mine. i use it for small game,clay busting, waterfowl.

buckshot for deer hunting,until i get a 21" rem choke vent rib for that purpose.

as far as the 18" for HD you should be fine,i don't have an 18" i have a 20" with sights. i use that for slug/buckshot hunting for deer and it serves as a HD barrel as well. if you can get a shotgun combo, 28" vent rib, 20" smoothbore with sights for a good deal in cost. go for it. dicks has them on sale from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:05 pm 
Diamond Grade

The 870 Express combo seems to be a good deal. This will probably suite you fine. You have to be careful on some combos. If you plan to scope the rifled or slug barrel the drop in the stock comb might be too much and you won't be able to get your face up high enough. The open iron site will be fine.

The rifled or slug barrel of that shotgun set up is all the Home Defense you'll ever need.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:26 pm 
Utility Grade

i had a 28" barrel but i sold it and got a 26" wingmaster barrel for my 870P. i found the 26" to be just the right length because the 870 receiver is fairly long. balance is good and it comes out of the blind nicely without snagging anything. it doesn't seem that 2" would make a difference but it sure does.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:56 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm also looking for a extra barrel for my 870 Express. My 870 is the 18" barrel with 7-shot tube version. Once the weather clears up, I'm thinking of trying Sporting Clays and possible Skeet.

I checked the Remington website for extra barrels, and when I select 870 Express, all I see under that model is a 30" vent rib barrel in a Rem Choke. The shorter (26" and 28") barrels do not show for the 870 Express. Would a 30" barrel be just a bit long for SC or Skeet??

The local Cabela's has Remington barrels, but right now they only have 1100 series barrels in 3 1/2" Magnum.

Post subject: Re: re: Remington 870 Express Interchangeable Barrels
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:29 pm 
Utility Grade

George S wrote:
I'm also looking for a extra barrel for my 870 Express. My 870 is the 18" barrel with 7-shot tube version. Once the weather clears up, I'm thinking of trying Sporting Clays and possible Skeet.

I checked the Remington website for extra barrels, and when I select 870 Express, all I see under that model is a 30" vent rib barrel in a Rem Choke. The shorter (26" and 28") barrels do not show for the 870 Express. Would a 30" barrel be just a bit long for SC or Skeet??

The local Cabela's has Remington barrels, but right now they only have 1100 series barrels in 3 1/2" Magnum.

any of the 870 barrels with a 3" chamber will fit a 3" express reciever. the main difference between the express barrels and the other 870 barrels is the ball detent that is located on the collar that goes around the mag tube. wingmasters and police magnums use the ball detent and cap to secure the barrel to the reciever. The express models do not rely on the ball detent. they use the black plastic spring follower with serrations to keep the cap from unscrewing while firing. the other differences are fit and finish...a wingmaster barrel has a nicer rib, better bead, and much better blueing. the good thing is that it will work just fine on an express reciever. I had an express with a 28" barrel that threw beautiful patterns and to this day wish i hadn't sold it. Now I use a Police magnum with a 26" wingmaster barrel.