Shotgun Forum banner

Stoeger P350- Review with Pictures (56k Warning)

32K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  sjohnny 
#1 ·
Today, I picked up the shotgun I've been eying for a while- a Stoeger p350 pump home defense model.

I also managed to put 75+ rounds through it today, and complete a pattern test. I'm pretty impressed with the gun so far, it's easy to use and comfortable to shoot. I shot a box of 3 1/2" 00 buckshot today, and barely noticed the kick. I originally got this gun because the stock was pretty comfortable to hold, and because I liked where the controls were. The safety the same as an 870, and the slide release sticks down on the right side of the reciver where it's easy to get at:

I also like that this gun will float a shell on the elevator. I tried that today, and it worked great.

Pattern Test:
I shot 4 kinds of buck, plus a box of slugs
The buck was:
Remington Managed Recoil 2 3/4" 8pellet 00 buck
Federal Power Shock 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buck
Federal Power Shock 2 3/4" 34 pellet 4 buck
Federal Premium Power Shock 3 1/2" 18 pellet 00 buck

The slugs were Winchester rifled hollow point 2 3/4" 1oz slug @ 1600fps

while all of them grouped fairly tight, the federal stuff grouped jsut a little tighter, and was more constant in terms of POA VS POI, so I think the best round that I have tested, for this particular gun would be the Federal 9 pellet 00 buck.
Here it is at 25 yards:

Modifications

the front bead is plenty large, but I think I'm going to paint it with some luminescent paint in case I need it in the dark.

I'd also like to add a rear sight, and this turkey and deer sight seems like a good one, except that it requires a ventilated rib to attach to. I've got a few ideas to overcome that.

The corner between the pistol grip and the stock could use some sort of pad

I'd also like to cook up a mag extension to make this an 8 shot gun. What I'm looking to do is machining a mag cap down and attaching an aluminum tube. I had previously thought that the mag caps were made of plastic, but I realized today while cleaning the gun, that the mag cap is aluminum.

I'm also looking to build some sort of sling- I have most of the design worked out, now it's just getting it all together.

I'd like to figure out some sort of Big head safety. I have a few ideas here, and I doubt this will be hard.

Finally, I'd like to add a light to the forarm.

See less See more
#2 ·
I forgot to mention the slugs- Here is my slug group at 50 yards:

That's 5 1/2 inches at it's widest.
That was fired with a bead sight, standing position, no rest. 5 shots, first was lost trying to find point of aim, and went over the target, last was lost due to trying to correct my POI to the center of the target, and it went under the target.

with good sights, a rest, and something besides the cheapest winchester rifled slugs available, that group could close a lot.

So what does everyone think?

#4 ·
I have one too, but GOOD LUCK on trying to find an extension tube. I've been looking all over but haven't had any luck AND DONT MAKE THE MISTAKE OF THINKING A BENELLI EXT. TUBE WILL FIT LIKE I DID. Screwed up the threads on my mag tube and now I have to order a new one!!
Thanks for posting such a good review !!!!

J.T.

In case you do find a source for a mag extension tube, send me an email PLEASE!
juantenoriojr@yahoo.com

Thanks

#5 ·
Good review!

I too have been thinking of how to attach a light to the forearm of my Benelli Nova, which looks a lot like your P350 there.

I was thinking of taking the forearm off and drilling a few holes in the forearm to screw on a small piece of pic rail.

The trouble would be attaching it so that it is a solid, secure mount with enough plastic to hold the light on if it gets bumped and messed with.

#6 ·
I'm intending to do quite a few things to this gun in the next month, and I'll be posting some photos.
I'm intending to add a light, extended safety, magazine cutoff, and hopefully a magazine tube extension.

I'm also thinking about how to attach a side saddle to replace the but cuff and add a red dot sight.

since it's been a while since I've posted about it, I should say that there have been no failures to fire, and nothing has broken.

However, I've been shooting my JC Higgins riot gun more, since it happens to be the one that is in the truck when I decide to go shooting.

#7 ·
For a light mount that I made to work for the 2000 is some thing that looks like the remington mount that goes under the mag cap. I used a rotor attachment for my dremal and screwed on a metal rail of an airsoft toy. The screws are epoxyed in like red locktite and are also epoxyed the rail on. The light I used is a surefire scout mount that I had laying around from my last trip to the sand box so I know the light is tuff the tuffness of the mount will find out when I go to pattern the gun.

#8 ·
I intend to bolt a rail to the forend. fixed lights make sense on a semi auto, but on a pump, I want the light to move with my hand.
I'm not sure at this point what light to attach either. I'll probably just start watching Ebay and the local pawn shops waiting for something suitable to come in.

#9 ·
TempestV said:
I'm not sure at this point what light to attach either. I'll probably just start watching Ebay and the local pawn shops waiting for something suitable to come in.
*cough* TLR-1 *cough*

#11 ·
Man I wish I lived in more gun freindly state that I could whatch the pwan shops for stuff. But for the nova and the p-350 what ever you due for the light let us know becuase I have a nova and the foreend dosnt look all that easy to fid a flat surface on it. Maybe mill out a flat slot and screw on a rail to it.

#12 ·
I finally got the camera out and got some pictures.
I've added a rear sight/sling mount, Hogue grip, and a butt cuff.

Here is the combined sight and sling mount

The sling mount was being used with a single point, but I'm working on a sling that will use it as the front attachment for an adjustable 2 point sling.
The sight is a cheap plastic ghost ring type sight meant for waterfowl hunting, meant to work with the factory bead. The biggest advantage is that it allows me to easily insure that I have the proper cheek weld for good accuracy when I'm shooting weak side or in unconventional positions like the various prone positions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.