CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Value on a Browning a500-R,
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I am new to the site and looking for information. I was given a Browning A500-R, which I believe to be Red Label but am not sure. I can't find any information on the shotgun and would love ANY info on it and especially a price estimate. It is in great condition with no chips on the stock...looks to be hardly used at all! Thanks in advance for any help!

Also have a browning Citori with an english stock that I would like a little info on as I can't find it either...its all blue INCLUDING the receiver which I have newver seen.

Post subject: re: Need Value on a Browning a500-R,
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:53 pm 
Crown Grade

The A-500 R is the one gun Browning wishes they had never built. There was so many problems with them that they done a dealer recall on them. They wouldn't buy all of them back but they stopped sales of what was left on the shelves and had them returned. Parts are hard to get for them. Although the gun will shoot 3" shells do not feed very many heavy lead magnums through it. I wouldn't shoot anything heavier than 1 1/4 oz through it. There are plastic spacers under the forearm that will split with the heavy magnum shells. Stick with steel shot and it might be OK. I bought one when they first came out and the first one didn't last through the first 3 shells. The second one busted the plastic spacers which blew the forearm apart and it took me several years to find parts for it. I repaired it and put it on the shelf and have never shot it since. $250.00.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Not what I was hoping to here....no wonder it was a gift! Thanks for the speedy response, I guess i'll give it a try and then set it on a shelf if it doesn't break!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:07 am 
Presentation Grade

I bought my A500R 5 years ago. I have read so many negative comments about the gun. Yes they were recalled & reworked all recalled guns have the letter (H) stamped on the bottom of the receiver. I have shot Hevi-Shot 3" thru my gun since I owned it also Remington,Federal & Winchester 3" heavy mag loads .The gun has never given me any problems,always feeds,fires & ejects. Of all the bad A500R that Browning was supposed to have made I guess I got one of the good ones that may have slipped out of the factory. Prices I have seen run $250 thru $500 on the internet gunsites for the A500R.

Ron