Shotgun Forum banner

Year of Manufacture for Italian Firearms

389K views 51 replies 35 participants last post by  P-guns 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
All firearms made in Italy are required by law to be tested by the Government Proof House, which marks the firearm with several symbols, one of which is a code identifying the year in which the firearm was proofed. A key to the code is shown below.

Note: The date code is not a part of the serial number. Read the paragraph below to learn where to find the date code.

In recent years the two-letter code has usually been enclosed in a rectangle. On shotguns, the mark is usually found on the bottom of the barrel. It may be necessary to remove the forearm, and sometimes to remove the barrels from the receiver, in order to expose the mark. I have also seen the date code on the bottom of the frame (receiver) of a semi-automatic, but I have never seen it on the receiver of a break-action gun.

On recent pistols, the mark is usually located on the frame near the trigger guard, and for older pistols, the mark is on the slide or on the frame behind the grip area.

In some cases, the actual date in Arabic numerals may be used, or a combination of Roman and Arabic numerals. For example, 1972 is usually represented by XXVIII, but in a few cases, it may be written XX8 or as 1972. Also, during the years 1945-1953, some Berettas may be marked with Arabic numbers 1-9 rather than Roman numerals I-IX.

During the years 1935-1943, before the National code system was enacted, some Berettas were marked with the Roman numerals XIII (1935) through XXI (1943). Thus, guns bearing those Roman numerals may need additional evidence to establish the year of manufacture. Beretta used no date code in 1944.

It is not clear to me when firearms by Italian manufacturers other than Beretta began to be marked with date codes - it may have been as late as 1954, with the Roman numeral X.

Update: (This was originally posted in 2006.)
CD - 2009
CF - 2010
CH - 2011
CI - 2012

Second update - 2/10/2014
CL - 2013
CM - 2014

GUNS MADE IN THE USA: The date codes above apply only to guns made in Italy. For guns made since 1988 in the USA by Beretta USA, the date can be traced by the serial number. See: http://www.berettasupport.com/applicati ... ch_new.htm

See less See more
#4 ·
My A303 has quite a few markings on the underside of the barrel and I had difficulty figuring out what was what. So, I called Beretta Customer Service (800-237-3882). After being on hold for about 5 minutes, the rep advised me that, based on serial number, they have records of year/month of manufacture - mine was built April, 1992.

#6 ·
Joe, you must be looking at the serial number. Like the big red note near the top of the page says, the date code is not part of the serial number, it is completely separate.

#7 ·
I understand that the manufacture year is marked with 2 letters before the serial number. I want to buy in an auction a beretta shotgun but they do not refer the manufacture day or that marks, they refer only the serial number. Is there any possibility to find the gun type or the manufacture day through the serial number? ex.F11824E. Thank you in advance!

#8 ·
xristoforos_ath said:
I understand that the manufacture year is marked with 2 letters before the serial number.
No,no,no! It says near the top of this post, the code for year of manufacture is not part of the serial number. The two-letter code that tells year of manufacture is not related to the serial number at all.

Beretta may have records that make it possible to determine the exact date of manufacture from the serial number, but as far as I know that information is not available to the public. If they do have such records, you would have to contact them, give them the serial number, and ask them to look it up. I don't know whether they will do that or not.

#12 ·
delorina said:
What type of nail gun should I buy to replace the boards in my wooden fence? Some kids are constantly breaking the wooden boards (about 6 feet tall and an inch or so thick) of our fence. It's ongoing and we are constantly replacing the boards. We'd like to purchase a nail gun (hopefully inexpensive) that is versatile enough for this and light use around the house (i.e. putting up crown molding). Also, we've seen combo staple/nail guns on-line. Is it possible that this type of gun could be used to fix the fence?
If you think you should be posting on a shotgun enthusiast site to garner advice about which nail gun to purchase, I suggest you forget about even touching a nail gun. In fact, you might not even be qualified to use a hammer. If you do buy a hammer, be sure to read the instructions first, but most importantly, keep your palm on the handle and your eyes on the nail.

Bruce

#13 ·
Okay maybe someone will read this and help me out.....being a curious sort of cat I drug out my 16ga PB 409.....well there ain't nothin like a Roman numeral anywhere.....but there is 1952 on the watertable (quite clear but very fine line)......okay
....sos I drag out my 12ga 410E and again there ain't no Roman numerals anywhere....but there is 1949 (fine line) on the watertable....okay

....so I'm thinkin either youse guys is nuts or my ol Gardone special garlic eaters got past the proof dater....ain't it?.......

So I pull another newer 12ga 409E out and lo and behold there they are.... slicker n snot on a doorknob XVI (1960 according to you guys) and no fine line "might be a date" numerals....okay

.....but wheres' that leave my two orphink side by twixtes?......they could'nt be decsribed as pistols......
Are the Arabic numerals dates?......and does it all mean these guns are just Junior Varsity wannabes?.. :?
....hurry up guys I'm going hunting monday and I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna bench these bums for deceiving me and take the Japs and the Germans out on the field off their normal schedule.... :shock: .....or just fine the Itieys for conduct unbecomming :| .....Art

#14 ·
lizardbreath said:
Okay .....but wheres' that leave my two orphink side by twixtes?......they could'nt be decsribed as pistols......
Are the Arabic numerals dates?......
The original post says: "In some cases, especially on older pistols, the actual date in Arabic numerals may be used..." Note that it does not say only on pistols. I don't doubt that the Arabic numerals on your guns are in fact the years of manufacture.

#15 ·
Well thank you Seamus for the quick response (it's just what I wanted to hear).......I was'nt being compleatly honest.....actually not anything like compleately.......I'm not going anywhere tomorrow....I'm actually sick as a dog.....but I really really wanted to know anyway :) ain't much to do when yer sick in bed.....Thanks.....Art

#18 ·
Seamus,do you know the time frame when the 686 Essential's were made? i have a Silver Essential and the bottom of the bbl is pretty scratched up and can't really read much on it.

thanks for your help. :D

#19 ·
Jerry, the Blue Book says the Silver Essential was imported only during 1997-98. I would expect the date code to be BI or BL, but it could be BH (made in '96, imported in '97).

#20 ·
thanks Seamus :D i thought it was somewhere around the mid to late 90's. do you know if a person could find out any of a gun's history?

if not i'll keep on shooting and enjoying it. :D

#24 ·
Beretta USA does not have a date code chart on their website which is more up to date than the one above, and I have not yet located the web site for the Italian government proof house. However, I suspect they skipped CE in 2010 just like they skipped BE (E is too easy to confuse with F). If that is correct, CF would indicate 2010.

#25 ·
Confirmation: CF (boxed in) on a new AL 391 Urika 2 Sporting 30" 12 ga. I just picked it up last week from a dealer and they just received it from Beretta.

The CF nomenclature is both on the bottom of the receiver and barrel.

Really a beautiful shotgun (second Urika in my gunsafe). My previous is older 20 ga Urika!

But what does "extra grain" on the grip mean?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.