Shotgun Forum banner

1100/11-87 barrel swap?

14K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  LUGNUTZ426 
#1 ·
I have an 11-87 trap that I want a skeet barrel for. A friend has a barrel from one of the new style 1100's that I can get for cheap. Will it fit without too costly of a mod? The new 1100's have the larger extractors of the 11-87's but I'm concerned the receiver length may be different even though my gun has a non compensated barrel.

Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
I might be wrong on some of this but hopefully someone who knows better will jump in if I am. If you're getting a skeet barrel for a trap gun it might be difficult to use effectively for skeet as trap gun stocks are designed for rising targets. If you're using it for something else or still want to try it on skeet it could be cheaper and less hassle in the long run to get a used 1187 barrel and have a gunsmith modify it for skeet. There's lots of used and new 1187 barrels out there.

#3 ·
Well, unless they have changed something, the receivers are the same except for the roll markings. I believe the non-compensated barrels will swap as well. The only difference between the older 1100s and the ocmpensated 2-3/4&3" 11-87s was the barrel ring, the extractor, and the forend.

#4 ·
Everywhere I look for replacement barrels for my 1100 there is always a very prominent warning that 1100 & 1187 barrels are NOT interchangeable.

Remington customer service even mentioned this in an answer to my question regarding barrel compatibility for my 1100.

#5 ·
I have tried to swap an older 1100 with a newer 1187. It did not work. If your friends 1100 is a G3, that will likely work.

#6 ·
r2d1robert said:
Remington customer service even mentioned this in an answer to my question regarding barrel compatibility for my 1100.
Yes, copied directly from the Remington Help Center;

Question

Can I fit my Model 1100 shotgun with a Model 1187 pressure compensated barrel and shoot both field & magnum loads?

Answer

Although the Model 1100 and Model 1187 shotguns are very similar in design we do not recommend that the barrels be interchanged between models. The extractors and corresponding extractor cuts in the barrel extensions differ. The locations of the barrel seal grooves in the magazine tubes are in slightly different places. Most of all it is an unsafe practice to exchange parts between models unless it is a documented fact that the different models use the same parts.

I have quoted this for general interest.

They are Remingtons words, not mine.

#7 ·
I HAVE AN 1187 SKEET BARREL I BOUGHT FOR MY 1100. IT DID

NOT WORK ON THE 1100, THE FOREND WOULD NOT FIT OVER

IT. I WOULD SWAP IT FOR YOUR 1100 SKEET BARREL, THEN

WE WOULD BOTH HAVE THE CORRECT BARREL. OR ...I WILL

SELL IT OUTRIGHT TO YOU FOR WHAT I PAID FOR IT $125.

I ALSO HAVE A SKEET GRADE STOCK WHICH WILL SOLVE YOUR

TRAP STOCK COMB HEIGHT PROBLEM . I CAN SEND YOU

PICTURES OF BOTH IF YOU LIKE

JOE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.