Shotgun Forum banner

Any O/U's for under 800.00 ?

2K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  mountaindave 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm sure this has been asked 100 times, but I could not find a thread.
So here goes, are there any O/U's out there for under 800 bucks.... I'm on a budget.

Name brands...prices?

If you have personal experience with one, or if you were going to get the best bang for your buck, what would these pros in here go with for under 800 dollars?
Thanks

#3 ·
I am not a pro. I have read many threads on this. If you require dependability, buy a used Browning, SKB, Beretta, etc., that retails new in the $1200+ range. As I understand it, you'll be happier and have much better quality.

For my infrequent type of shooting, a Condor would probably serve me well for around $300 new. If you are a more frequent shooter, love clays, etc, you should plan on spending around $800 for a good used O/U such as the brands I listed above.

Gunbroker.com has plenty of listings in your price range for good used guns.

#4 ·
#7 ·
With all due respect to the "experts", there are a number of choices for decent O/U shotguns right now, but they are all pretty much at the same distributor. My suggestion is to download the 2009 catalogue for CDNN, and look in there. They have several options in your price range on guns that originally sold for much more than CDNN is selling them for. Some options:

Charles Daly NRA Diamond II or III O/U...made by Marocchi and quite nice for the money...lifetime warranty. I own the Diamond III.

Fausti Stefano O/Us from $489.00 to about $900.00 .... most under $800.00. I bought the 20 ga. "Elegant" model for my son and cut the stock down. A very good deal for the money, Italian quality for less than most Turkish O/Us.

Also a Rizzini Goldwing II for under $800.00 and a Lanber 2087 for under $700.00.

All of these are well made shotguns for 30% to 50% less than original pricing and should last a lifetime with reasonable use.

#9 ·
I have had good results with my Stoeger Condor Combo. drsfmd comes off as being a little snobbish about his "junk" views. Not everyone can, nor needs, an expensive shotgun. I figure for what I paid I can throw it away in a couple of years and buy another one if I need to.

#10 ·
Sacred Hawk said:
I have had good results with my Stoeger Condor Combo. drsfmd comes off as being a little snobbish about his "junk" views. Not everyone can, nor needs, an expensive shotgun. I figure for what I paid I can throw it away in a couple of years and buy another one if I need to.
You're right. Not everyone wants or needs an expensive gun. However, would you knowingly buy an item of poor quality? The OP clearly isn't familiar with the wide array of stuff on the market, or he wouldn't have asked the question. With that in mind, I'll point out that there are tons of great, high quality pumpguns and autoloaders available for well under $500, and I'm a big fan of those.

There's just no NEW O/U available at the price point the OP mentioned that has a quality equivalent to those pumpguns and autoloaders mentioned above...

To the OP-- the link rzespa posted would be an excellent choice.

Edit: Corrected a typo

#12 ·
Can't believe no one mention the Weatherby Orion. I can't remember how low they have gotten, but I know it's close to the $800 area. Weatherby has switched manufacturers for its O/Us and most places are heavily discounting the old Orion (SKB made). CDNN had them for a good price, but may have sold out of the cheaper ones already.

#13 ·
DRIGGY said:
Can't believe no one mention the Weatherby Orion. I can't remember how low they have gotten, but I know it's close to the $800 area. Weatherby has switched manufacturers for its O/Us and most places are heavily discounting the old Orion (SKB made). CDNN had them for a good price, but may have sold out of the cheaper ones already.
The cheapest Orion they have now is just under $1000.00, and therefore out of the price range the poster asked about. The Italian made guns are the only CDNN inventory available right now that I would recommend in an O/U at the $800.00 price point. There are several to choose from.

That said, I shot skeet this past weekend in the rain with my Mossberg 500 (28" barrel) and shot about the same scores that I usually shoot with my O/U. Though I am far from an excellent Skeet shooter, what that tells me is that if your gun goes bang, and it puts the lead where you point it, then you can do o.k. at clays games with just about anything, so if a modestly priced pump, or a Turkish made O/U is all you can afford, go for it. Just make sure you are getting a decent warranty with any low priced shot gun. (Or high priced for that matter.)

#14 ·
Sacred Hawk said:
I figure for what I paid I can throw it away in a couple of years and buy another one if I need to.
So, you admit it is a throw-away gun, which is pretty much the same as saying its a junk-gun.

drsfmd said:
For $800, I'd be looking for a good autoloader.
There are certainly O/U's available for less than $800, but they are all junk...
This is very good advice.

I was perusing Cabela's guns on Saturday, picking up some of their sub-$1000 over/unders and examining them. (Benelli was one of the brands...) I'll agree with drs; any new O/U selling for under $800 is a cheap gun and lacks any qualities that make owning an O/U satisfying for me.
That's my opinion anyway.

#15 ·
Sacred Hawk said:
I figure for what I paid I can throw it away in a couple of years and buy another one if I need to.
So, you admit it is a throw-away gun..wouldn't that be the same as saying its a junk-gun? Instead of doing that, I might suggest buying a good over/under for thrice what you paid, then keeping it for a lifetime....all the while enjoying the pride of ownership that a nice gun gives. You'd save money AND have a better gun.

drsfmd said:
There are certainly O/U's available for less than $800, but they are all junk...

I was perusing Cabela's guns on Saturday, picking up some of their sub-$1000 over/unders and examining them. (I think Benelli was one of the brands...) I'll agree with drs; any new O/U selling for under $800 is a cheap gun and lacks any qualities that make owning an O/U satisfying for me.

#17 ·
code5coupe said:
Sacred Hawk said:
So, you admit it is a throw-away gun..wouldn't that be the same as saying its a junk-gun? Instead of doing that, I might suggest buying a good over/under for thrice what you paid, then keeping it for a lifetime....all the while enjoying the pride of ownership that a nice gun gives. You'd save money AND have a better gun.

drsfmd said:

I was perusing Cabela's guns on Saturday, picking up some of their sub-$1000 over/unders and examining them. (I think Benelli was one of the brands...) I'll agree with drs; any new O/U selling for under $800 is a cheap gun and lacks any qualities that make owning an O/U satisfying for me.
The fact that YOU don't know of any O/Us for under $800.00 that are worth owning doesn't mean that there aren't any, just that you don't know about them. There are, I own some and have recommended some very nice shotguns in that price range to the originator of this post.

#20 ·
code5coupe said:
Sacred Hawk said:

drsfmd said:

I consider a "junk gun" one that will blowup in your face at some point. From what I can see my Stoeger is very well made. Also, at my age I don't need to pay three times the amount for a gun to last me a lifetime. My lifetime is pretty much behind me. :wink:

#24 ·
There are about three guns I would consider in this price range:
1) Verona
2) Lanber
3) Franchi

From my experiences with some other cheap o/u's I have shot and/or handled, my opinion is that many others are in fact shoddy. I know nothing about the SKB/Weatherbys though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.