Shotgun Forum banner

earbuds for shooting

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  H2Odawg 
#1 ·
i was wondering if anyone had any info on some earbuds for shooting. I dont really want to spend a bunch of money for custom or the extremely high priced noise canceling type. I just want some that will block some of the sound when i shoot trap. I would rather not spend more than $40 and i would like to have some that have a remote volume control on the cord.

If anyone has any that they like or know of some please let me know what and where i can find them? Thanks everyone.

#4 ·
shotgun_sport,
save your pennies, (lots of them) and buy a pair of "Pro Ears" with Aux. Input jacks; your hearing will be protected, you'll be able to hear conversation (as long as the music level isn't too loud) and music all at the same time!
(Cheaper way: wear your earbuds and cover them with a GOOD, Over-The-Ear. protector)

#5 ·
thanks for the input from everyone. i do appriciate it. I dont like to shoot with the over the ear type of hearing protection. I was talking to a friend that works on natural gas compressers and he told me about some that he just picked up said he liked them. what do you guys think? i would like to find some other options still maybe some cheaper ones.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/151874/ ... e-Earplugs

#6 ·
Tell ya what, I wear BTE hearing aids and when I want to block sound, I just turn 'em off. Since my hearing threshold is now approximately 100 decibels, they're pretty effective. If you've like to use my solution, just keep on doing what you're doing.

Dan

#7 ·
Dan, I'm with you. A man will pay a fortune for guns and equipment and then want to save money by using cotton balls. I work in a law firm and my hearing loss has begun to effect my work. I'm off to get hearing aids on May 2nd.

By the way... I was the cotton ball user!

#10 ·
Just my opinion, but jammin to your ipod while shooting doesn't sound very safe to me. I tried wearing both ear plugs and muffs (non-electronic) this last winter, but decided it wasn't for me because even though the combo worked great for hearing protection, I couldn't hear range commands unless the RSO was literally yelling at me. I think adding music to the mix would have the same effect.

#11 ·
I like the corded throw away types. They are inexpensive and can be used several times. With the little lanyard cord between the buds you can pull them and leave on your shoulder when having a conversation or beverage between shots...
They come in a little plastic bag and can be stored for a long time and still be clean and effective!

#12 ·
OK the first thing everyone "should have " learned about guns was....

Yes "GUN SAFETY"

And that included eye and ear protection.. did it not?

I am 39 years young and have spent my life asking people to repeat themselves because my dad did not put ear plugs on me as a kid. I am deaf in my right ear from shooting rifels with him as a small child. So take it from thoes of us who had to learn the hard way. Put that fomey thing in your ear properly, and stop all the other distractions so no one else gets hurt.

Thanks for listining, Sean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.