Shotgun Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question on Mossberg model 695.

10K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  jlptexashunter 
#1 ·
I have been using a Rem 870 with rifled barrel for 2 years with great sucess deer hunting. Now my wife wants to try her hand at it. A friend loaned us a mossberg model 695 which he will sell if we like it. It is a bolt action with fully rifled and ported barrel. I'm not familar with this gun at all and i'm wondering if it is good quality or if I should look at getting her something different and what would be a fair price. The gun is in VERY nice condition.
Any thoughts on this gun would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Any bolt action 12G Rifled slug gun will by far out perform all other types of 12G rifled SG's for accuracy. They may not be the quickest with a 2nd shot, but since your more accurate, you shouldnt need one. However the down side is they suffer from felt recoil more since its a 100% lockup at firing. A good recoil pad will help. If its still an issue, add a bit of weight to the firearm (led shot with resin in the butt is always good). Boltys are simple, easy to use and I have found that, you think and treat it like a rifle, not a SG. So you tend to be in a better mind set for those longer shots. I dont own a mossberg model 695 but I did have a very old mossberg bolt action SMOOTH bore ******. While it was a smooth bore, it did perform very well and was again a bit more accurate that say a pump/semi smooth bore SG. A heck of a lot more so than combo SG's by a long shot.

#4 ·
LAME said:
A friend loaned us a mossberg model 695 which he will sell if we like it. It is a bolt action with fully rifled and ported barrel. I'm not familar with this gun at all and i'm wondering if it is good quality
Lame,

The 695 is a very good gun. However, I would consider it to be the runner up to the Savage 210 and pretty much a wanna-be Browning A-Bolt.

While the average 695 will come very close to matching the accuracy of both the Savage 210 and A-bolt, the 695 does have a few issues. Many seem to have feeding issues, and the overall quality of the design is just all around "cheaper" than even the Savage, (which itself is pretty cheap). Realistically however, the biggest problem with them for many shooters, me included, is the ported barrel....I can tell you flat out that I would not own one simply for that reason. (Quite frankly, I value my hearing way to much to subject myself to the needless muzzle blast that is produced by a 12 ga slug gun with a ported barrel.)

Finally, as to Gibs comment about recoil...First off, it should be pointed out that his comment about bolt guns having more recoil because they "lock up 100% at firing" makes no sense at all, (after all who the hell shoots any gun that isn't 100% locked up at firing? :roll: ), (While my guess is he was trying to compare the recoil of a non-gas operated gun to that of a recoil reducing, and accuracy robing, gas operated gun, as I am sure most already know...that really is no comparison at all), In any case...when making real world apples to apples comparisons of guns (ie, non-gas operating vs non-gas operating) it is actually the weight of the gun and the design of the stock and barrel that are the major components in determining recoil with a given projectile. Of course, if Gibs was familiar with the gun he would have also known, as I mentioned above, that the barrel was ported....So once again, the point being, these guns actully feature recoil reducing ported barrels and accordingly do not have not any more recoil than most other slug guns of comparable weight... and in fact, generally have even less...

JC

#5 ·
JC
Blah blah blah blah. Were did I say I ever owned a Mossberg 695?

Bolts on bolt guns are not unlocked via the firearm firing, its manual. Most other actions unlock the bolt to some degree when fired (inertia, gas, ect ect). Ergo, some of the force at firing is used to unlock the bolt, means a small reduction in felt recoil. Why do you think bolt actions are touted as the most inherently acurate type of action, simply because there are NO moving parts at any point of the firearm being discharged. They are Locked up soild, tight as a drum. Most other actions have some reaction to the firearm being discharged, nomaly due to unlocking the bolt. Given, this does NOT apply to every single action out there, but generaly, it does. Now I fully admit I do NOT know the 695 personaly and I did state that. He asked about its suitability for his misses, usualy again, females dont like recoil, yes it says in the first post that its ported. From my own personal experiance these light ports dont realy do very much except make a lot of flash an bang and generaly peel bits off the wading fouling up the ports. So there for I did NOT give him any info as to how good or bad the 695 is, I have no basis to do so. I only ever owned a very very old Smooth bore bolt Mossy that worked fine. So given what I do know, I gave him general advise and pointed him to an article that may help (written by someone a damn site better than you or I in this area). Now if you have a problem with that, get a life.

And next time, try not to be such an arse - I know its hard for you not to be, but even old dogs can learn new tricks.

Edited by JLPTexashunter

#6 ·
100-1 jc replys along the lines of - your personal attack, I'm so hard done by, poor lil old me I'm always picked on, blah blah blah. It will be a 5 page essay and dribble on with totaly irelivent crap. Best bit is, he started it, as usual. Any takers ???

Edited by JLPTexashunter

#7 ·
I've used the Mossberg 695 for the past 6 years of deer hunting and so far it's been a superior hunting arm.

The magazine does have some issues--I turned it into a top loader because the mag would fall out after every shot, and I had an extractor break, mossberg sent me a new one for free.

The performance I've gotton out of this shotgun is amazing. With 3 in Lightfields, it shoots into the same hole at 50 yds and 1.25in at 100yds. I've taken deer with utter confidance at 150yds time after time.

For the price I paid--$215--the Mossberg 695 has been a real value. Could the trigger be better, yes. Does it kick, yes, all slug guns do. And it does something that the Muzzleloaders can't do--two quick follow up shots.

#8 ·
Gibs said:
So there for I did not give him any info as to how good or bad the 695 is, I have no basis to do so.
And there you have it folks once again! As has become standard practice for little gibs, he wings of yet another of now common multi-post hateful, curse filled, rants with no concern for his violation of forum rules whatsoever!

And as usual...his rant does nothing but further destroy his credibility here!!

Very simply Gibbs...Everyone here could plainly see you know absolutely nothing about the 695 and that you as you were just making a bunch of BS that had little, or more realistically nothing, useful to do with answering this gentleman's question!

The best part is you then come on here and whine like a two year old child when I point out that fact that....and apparently you were so blinded by your hateful rage that you whine out...screaming that I am 100% correct and that in your own words..."I did not give him any info as to how good or bad the 695 is, I have no basis to do so"!!!

So, there you have it!!...Straight from the horse's, (or GIBB'S as it may be), mouth!! Another page of virtually useless diarrhea and vile tirades all so Gibs can get make his point and state...."I don't know anything about the Mossberg 695, and I didn't provide any useful info about the 695".....All of this...Despite that fact was the entire subject of this thread!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JC

#9 ·
arty8 said:
I've used the Mossberg 695 for the past 6 years of deer hunting and so far it's been a superior hunting arm.

The magazine does have some issues--I turned it into a top loader because the mag would fall out after every shot, and I had an extractor break, mossberg sent me a new one for free.

The performance I've gotton out of this shotgun is amazing. With 3 in Lightfields, it shoots into the same hole at 50 yds and 1.25in at 100yds. I've taken deer with utter confidance at 150yds time after time.

For the price I paid--$215--the Mossberg 695 has been a real value. Could the trigger be better, yes. Does it kick, yes, all slug guns do. And it does something that the Muzzleloaders can't do--two quick follow up shots.
Arty,

Very well said!!! I think you summarized this gun, and all of the key about points about it, just about perfectly!! This is exactly the type of quality info it is clear the original poster will appreciate!! {RO

JC

#10 ·
ROFLMAO
Your a bigger ******** that I gave you credit for. Do I look even remotely interested in your half arse totaly misinformed opinion of me. I do not give a flying toss about you, or what anyone else thinks of me, I speak plain as I see it up front no BS. If you cant handle that, not my problem. I gave what GENERAL knowledge I had on the subject of BOLT SG's. I then found a written review for the man on the very firearm in question. I gave a bit of my own personal experiance of a very SIMIALAR Make and type of SG from the same company. I have no reason to liar to the the original poster pretending I know all there is to know about the 695, unlike some. Now lets see what you brought along..............................Hmmm, a big fat nothing, except to almost quote the article I put up verbatem.

Now if anyone looks like a ******* its you. You always go on about how ppl here think this an that and how I or some other person has lost all credability. I ask you, who is more concerned about what ppl think, you or me. Its you, your the one always ranting about and I quote "Everyone here could plainly see" like you need their blessing or to prove to all how smart you are and that just goes to prove how insecure and pathetic you realy are. If you cant be your self, whats the point, sadly tho, you being you means that your a wanker 99.99% of the time to anyone who aint kissing your arse!

The real tragic part is, you have once again trashed a good thread with your over blown but very insecure pathetic ego, well done. I hope your very happy sitting in your dark lil corner ******* ***, thinking how all knowing and omnipitus you are. The truth be know your just a very lonely sad lil man constently scratching at the door to be let in.

PS: Ohh btw, very sorry, but I dont kiss arse.

Ok, back on track after that rather dillusional interuption.

LAME:
Here is a vidio I found for you of some guy firing a 695. Now I wouldnt take much notice of the guy because his form is bloody shocking. But at least it does show a 695 that looks to be in pretty good condition letting off a few rounds. I noticed that it has no porting on this version and has rifled sights. As to if its a rifled barrel version or not I couldnt say, but I do find it rather amusing seeing him react like he does when he lets one off! Enjoy.

PS: sorta reminds me of someone...hmmm...............I know - JC!!!! :lol:

Edited by JLPTexashunter

#11 ·
Gibs said:
Here is a vidio I found...
Gibs,

Poor fellow it is obvious you have hit rock and bottom and started to dig!! Do you really mean to try to tell us that you spent your day searching You-Tube in hopes of finding something useful to add to this conversation? More importantly...you actually make the attempt to belittle me for being a contributing member to this forum, when you clearly know absolutely nothing about me, and in reality you are the one spending your days sitting here clacking away at your keyboard shooting your mouth off all day..??...Your lunacy gets absolutely even more unbelievable by the post!!

You sit here shooting your mouth off all day...While I spent my day with my girlfriend shooting the one thing that is actually relevant to this board...OUR SHOTGUNS!!! And you still can't understand why your credibilty is now completely lost here??

Lets see ...On one hand....We have Gibs the apparent internet psychopath, sitting at home searching the internet all day in hopes of finding something useful to post, while all the while clacking away at his keyboard writing posts about sexual fluids, violating every forum rule one can imagine, and meanwhile never ever having once in his entire history of posting here provided a useful field report, range report, test report, or for that matter a single report about any thing of interest to this forum.... :roll:

On the hand...I actually spent the day afield with my girlfriend shooting slug guns, shooting MZ's,testing new optics, testing ammo, taking chrono readings, setting out trail camera's, scouting hunting land, and looking for shed antlers from the bucks I hunted for the last six months....Then after coming home from a long day, and despite having to listen to the rants of Gibs, the keyboard junkie...Still taking my time to help other members post pictures, to write up range reports, responds to members questions, and sharing chrono data and test results....

Geezzz......and who is the one making claims about "scratching at the door in hopes of one day being let in??????

Gibs, if you can't get your act together, and control your inability to resist your infantile vulgar outbursts., then it is clear it is time for you to go..! Very simply, this forum is not a place for anyone that repeatedly acts in the vulgar and repulsive fashion that you consistently have!! :w

JC

#12 ·
What the video shows is the importance of mounting the scope as low as possible in order to maintain a proper cheek weld. The mossberg pictured in the video is indeed a 695, you can see the ports in the barrel along the side and top. The shooter's scope is mounted way too high, I used millet rings on my 695, again, mounted low as possible with a Leopold 1-4 scope, and you can really see that the shooter never maintains the cheek weld during the shot.

Slug guns kick and one way to mitigate this is to really pull the shotgun into your shoulder, if you let it hang loose, it's going to kick the snot out of you.

One thing this video does show is how short and handy the 695 is, whether stand hunting or driving, it points like a big game rifle. And if I'm stand hunting I actually use earplugs.

Every fall the same hunters show up at my friends farm, and every year I'm there...with my mossy 695.

#13 ·
arty8 said:
... the importance of mounting the scope as low as possible in order to maintain a proper cheek weld.
Arty,

You are right on once again!! In fact the combs on many bolt action stocks are to low for a proper cheek weld even with a scope mounted in low rings. For that reason I generally recommend bolt gun owners invest in a comb raising kit when the stock does not fit them properly...Of course the added benefit of a quality comb kit, like the Beartooth kit, is the fact that it also reduces felt recoil be cushioning the recoil to the face. :D

JC

Here are examples of the Bear tooth kits in use on the stocks of two of my Bolt guns....

#15 ·
Just in case anyone is wondering......DO NOT ATTACK EACH OTHER PERSONALLY
DO NOT USE FOUL/ABUSIVE LANGUAGE ON OUR BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: ThaDoubleJ
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.