CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Used A-5 or New Gold Classic Hunter?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:59 am 
Diamond Grade

From what I've read in this forum for the past couple months is a consensus that the A-5 is probably the best autoloader Browning made. Now that it's discontinued, I'm left with the dilemma of trying to purchase a slightly used A-5 or to go for a new Gold Classic Hunter.

What's the best and worst of each gun? Comparisons, or opinions?

Thanks-

Post subject: Re: Used A-5 or New Gold Classic Hunter?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:59 am 
I know I'd go with the A-5, yes, the best autoloader of all time.

Try to score a later japanese model, they have a little nicer finish and usually come with a choke set up. Plus, they're sort of snubbed by collector-types on the "Made in Belgium" hunt. Several gunsmiths have stated that the japanese guns are a little "cleaner" inside (finer tooling marks), leading me to belive they actually have a touch more precision inside. Just a stab though.

All A-5's are basicly indestructible, but they need professional cleaning every so often. Its cheap. The only drawback? About 8-10 more ounces in weight. Worth it I say.

I shoot my light 12 30" on clays once in awhile. What a blast! The stares are priceless. Good luck going anywhere without a comment. The thin forearm and straight grip really help an average shooter (like yours truly)! Parts galore as well. You won't need them though.

Schaa-wink!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:23 am 
Tournament Grade

I really like mine especially my 20 ga. The only negative thing about an A5 is many of them crack forend wood and to a lesser degree stock wood.

Cracking can be greatly reduced by proper friction piece setting for shells used.

Ike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Go with the A-5.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:41 pm 
Limited Edition

I would go with the Auto5 if it has Invector chokes - or - of it doesn't you can afford an Invector barrel for it. Otherwise I would go with the Gold. Simply for versatility when using steel shot the invectors are nice, and I wouldn't want to run steel through an older Auto 5.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:46 am 
Diamond Grade

Ok, so today I just popped into the local sporting goods store and asked about the GCH 12 ga. they had on the rack. Aside from trying to get me to put it on layaway, it was explained how the new GCH's use a gas operated reloading mechanism rather than a recoil operated mechanism. The guys also said that since it's that way, the recoil is less for the GCH than for an older A-5. Also, the GCH can be broken down for easier cleaning than the A-5.

If all that's taken as true, then is the reason so many people like the A-5 better simply because it's an older and proven model? Simply because they own one, and/or would like to believe that the A-5 has not yet been improved upon?

If this seems like flames, it's just because I'm stoking the fire to get some really good feedback on this. I've not made a decision either way, though I do need to start saving up now if I'm gonna swing it by the wife. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:21 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a Gold Classic Hunter and love the gun. Very easy to tear down and clean and there is barely and I mean barely any kick from the gun at all. You would love this gun. I have never had shell get stuck or malfunction with my GCH. The only thing that I did with it, was I took the front bead off the gun and put one from a BPS on it. I've use it for upland birds, waterfowl to turkey hunting. My son used it his senior year of high school to shoot trap at the Ia State High School Trap Finals and he was tied for 2nd. During the shootoff he choked and ended up 4th in state. But still quite an accomplishment. Go with the Gold Classic Hunter you will love the gun.

bird

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:21 pm 

OK, I own one of each and here is my take. Like some of the others have said, the Auto-5 is the best made semi auto shotgun period! I have a mag 12 that I bought new in 89' or 90'.
I used it for everyting at one time. Now it sits in the safe and gets shot for clays ocassionally. It's still in mint condition and I want to keep it that way. A Gold 3 1/2" is it's replacement for waterfowl.
The Auto-5 will be easier to maintain than the Gold until you include the trigger group and recoil spring in the stock. They have the auto load feature and a magazine cut off. It has a slimmer forearm and a longer sight plane due to the "hump back" receiver. Again the quality is second to none. Durabilty is also one of the Auto-5's virtures. Nothing swings as smooth as the A5. They are on the heavy side and less versatile than the Gold's.
The Gold is well built. It handles any type of shells you can put in them for the most part. They are about average as far as weight goes. They balance and swing well. They have the auto load feature and some models have the magazine cut off. They are one of or the best gas operated as far as reliabilty.The forearm is on the bulky side and the forearm/receiver juction is not the best. Some say gas auto's kick less, I can't tell the difference.
If you want a lighter and versatile gun go with the Gold. If you are just waterfowling with 3" loads go with the Auto-5. I would go for the Mag 12 Stalker model. They are synthetic/matte, have steel proffed barrels with invector tubes. The Japanesse models are starting to sell for more than the Belgium models except for the higher grade models.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:31 pm 
A-5's:
Lighter recoil

More difficult to clean (at most every 2 years or so)

Less ejection hang-ups due to the recoil action, gas operated guns have to be SPOTLESS inside all the time.

I too own both, but I'm not buying anymore Golds. I just wanted something synthetic w/o glare.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:38 pm 
Field Grade

I've got access to several examples of both Golds and Auto-5's

A5:

Machined parts
Looks awesome
Kick is more of a looong push
Great ergonomics
Good balance/swing

Gold:

Very easy to clean
Looks like a browning2000 or an 11-87 from a distance
Balance is OK
Can’t mess up the friction ring setup
Only need one gun to do it all
Why does the forearm fit like this?
Why is the length of pull too long for me? I'm 6'1"

Both:

Browning
Auto feed with mag cutoff (best safety feature on a shotgun)
Very reliable
Not a beretta

If you can only have one gun I'd go for the Gold, as it is by far the more versatile of the two guns. Having said that, the only hunting I do with a gold is turkey hunting. Everything else I use an A5. However, I would not want a Magnum for upland hunting or a light 12 for ducks. That's why the Gold would likely be a better choice for a one gun man.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
A-5's:
Lighter recoil

I think you may have that turned around..... or am I wrong ?

I would think that a Gold would have much less recoil, wouldn't you ?

bird

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:36 pm 
Limited Edition

Everyone should clean their shotgun on a regualr basis. Those that dont are well, Lazy.
But ,the Browning gas system, does not have to be spotless to work. While that may have once been true, for any gas system. It simply has not been so, for several years now.
It has less recoil as well.

If this is going to be your sole shotgun, then by all means go with the Classic Hunter

If this is going to be an add on tho your collection, then go with the A-5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:40 pm 
Yes, the A-5 has much less felt recoil.

The long recoil action and half pound of weight definately help matters.

More of a PUUUSSSHHH than a quick bite.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:43 pm 
Sorry about the bold italic underline, no idea what happened. Not THAT hardcore about my opinions.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:58 pm 
Utility Grade

kind of off the subject, but I have not gotten any response to my post on buying an older A-5, I have a chance to buy a 1968 lightweight 12 GA. that is so nice it looks like new. I would like to know what a fair price is for this one, It is too nice to pass up. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:05 am 
Tournament Grade

powerquack2k wrote:
If you can only have one gun I'd go for the Gold, as it is by far the more versatile of the two guns. Having said that, the only hunting I do with a gold is turkey hunting. Everything else I use an A5. However, I would not want a Magnum for upland hunting or a light 12 for ducks. That's why the Gold would likely be a better choice for a one gun man.

I find this to be rather funny. Except for days with crappy weather my grandfather used his Belgium 30" full choked A-5 for everything - deer with slugs, turkey, ducks, rabbits, squirrel, pheasant, grouse, dove - everything. Yes, choke tubes would have made it better for individual game, but he didn't seem to have any trouble with it going BANG on demand. Of course I also don't recall him being overly impressed with 3" shells. It sure shot circles around any 1100 that came along.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:16 pm 
Never said you couldn't do it all with an A5, just that the Gold would be a better choice if you were a one gun man and did many different types of hunting/shooting. Steel shot through a full choke barrel is not a good idea, and carrying a heavy magnum A5 while bird hunting is not what the gun was designed for. The man asked for an opinion and mine is that the gold is much more versitile, although not as rugged a gun as an Auto 5

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

Actually, he had a Light 12 . Didn't think about steel shot. He was limited to deer, squirrel, and rabbit hunting by the time steel came about. I hope I'm still able to get out and hunt anything when I'm pushing 80.

Sometimes I get a kick out of how specialized we've become. I could survive rather well with either a Beretta AL-2, Browning A-5, or Benelli M1 having a modified choke. I have 7 shotguns and only God knows how many tubes and barrels. I justified eveyone with "needing" something special. And I find myself trying to justify a Browning Gold AND a Benelli Nova.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:25 pm 
Field Grade

I don't know if any of the other postings here have been of help to you.
Right now I am a one gun man, browning Gold Hunter (not classic) and I think it has got to be the best deal going for under $750 in a 12Ga Auto.

The A-5's are great, most of them have seen some miles though, and that can effect price. Both are capable guns and would most likely give you years of service, but take a look as to how they swing, fit, and feel; that is probably more important than anything! Because what works for you may not work for someone else.

As for the A-5 you mentioned what is the offering price?
If it was a good deal, get both!