Shotgun Forum banner

best over-under under $1000 for skeet

28K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  Spankey 
#1 ·
i have a baikal now and it has been a good gun.i am giving it too the boy so i need a new skeet gun.i only shoot skeet on sunday morn with some friends.would i be better off with a good used one or a cheaper new one? thanks

#4 ·
That CD is an OK hunting gun, but it'll pound you for Skeet. Too light for that. I would look for a gently used Citori Skeet for about $1K. Or, if you don't mind chasing shells, a clean used 1100 Skeet would be my choice.

Good is always better than cheap..... new or used.

#5 ·
SS said:
That CD is an OK hunting gun, but it'll pound you for Skeet. Too light for that. I would look for a gently used Citori Skeet for about $1K. Or, if you don't mind chasing shells, a clean used 1100 Skeet would be my choice.

Good is always better than cheap..... new or used.
I don't shoot skeet or trap, but 6 lbs. 13 oz. is light? :?: Don't overlook that sorbothane pad. It's a real kick tamer!!!
:D

$1400.00 retail new is cheap? I think these were made by Rizzini? Browning = better? :p Not in my world! :p

#6 ·
If all you're going to do is shoot skeet and your budget hovers at the $1k mark then there are plenty of Browning's/Miroku's, Weatherby's/SKB's and Winchester/Nikko's to be found for an average of $800. The key to this is finding one that fits!

Next time you're out at the skeet range ask your buddies if you can try their gun (provided it's still in a standard configuration) for a round that way when you hit the auction boards you'll have an idea what will/won't work for you. That same advice is how I decided on my Citori ($700 at a pawn shop) and the results were immediate in my trap average.

#7 ·
I don't shoot skeet or trap, but 6 lbs. 13 oz. is light? :?: Don't overlook that sorbothane pad. It's a real kick tamer!!!

$1400.00 retail new is cheap? I think these were made by Rizzini? Browning = better? :p Not in my world!
Most skeet guns are in the 8 pound plus range, so, yes that IS light

$1400 isn't even in the ballpark for a decent USED gun - not for serious competition shooting

#10 ·
oneounceload said:

$1400.00 retail new is cheap? I think these were made by Rizzini? Browning = better? :p Not in my world!
Most skeet guns are in the 8 pound plus range, so, yes that IS light

$1400 isn't even in the ballpark for a decent USED gun - not for serious competition shooting
8 pounds plus? My goodness! I understand the money that needs to be invested for a good competition gun, Perazzis etc. Custom work by top craftsmen. High cost. High pressure to achieve. Time consuming. Not something I would consider, fun!

Now that's a personal decision and not one I desire anyone else to practice.

But let's be realistic. An older Belgium made Browning might qualify with some work,
but a Citori? I though you said "serious" competition gun. You competition guys can't have it both ways. Top notch and high cost or you are kidding yourself. Junk is still junk on the circuit!

And I agree. $1400.00 for a used gun still won't do much for you! Anything less than top notch is simply wannabes pretending to shoot competition!

"Competition" guns for shotgunning is rather like the word "custom" as applied to best quality rifles. The term is very often misused! A "custom" gun is not necessarily a best quality gun. In fact it can still be called "custom" and be worthless junk with shoddy workmanship. I've seen plenty in that category.

Here's a real rifle. http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 3711075111

Is this a real competition shotgun? http://www.gunsamerica.com/992987844/Gu ... attern.htm

#11 ·
Is this a real competition shotgun? http://www.gunsamerica.com/992987844/Gu ... attern.htm
NO!!! that would be a collector gun. Nothing about that gun is "competitive" in nature.

8 pounds plus? My goodness! I understand the money that needs to be invested for a good competition gun, Perazzis etc. Custom work by top craftsmen. High cost. High pressure to achieve. Time consuming. Not something I would consider, fun!

Now that's a personal decision and not one I desire anyone else to practice.

But let's be realistic. An older Belgium made Browning might qualify with some work,
but a Citori? I though you said "serious" competition gun. You competition guys can't have it both ways. Top notch and high cost or you are kidding yourself. Junk is still junk on the circuit!

And I agree. $1400.00 for a used gun still won't do much for you! Anything less than top notch is simply wannabes pretending to shoot competition!

"Competition" guns for shotgunning is rather like the word "custom" as applied to best quality rifles. The term is very often misused! A "custom" gun is not necessarily a best quality gun. In fact it can still be called "custom" and be worthless junk with shoddy workmanship. I've seen plenty in that category.
I really am not trying to seem like a jerk here, but if you have little knowledge in competitive shotgunning, why are you recommending a gun for competitive shooting?

For $1200 dollars you can get a Sporting model Browning or Beretta on the used market. And yes, people use these guns for competition, although I think that word has been used WAY to much in this thread. The original thread starter only said he shoots once a week, so i would refer to it as recreational shooting. A sporting model "B" gun is a great recreational gun, but could also be used for high volume competition if needed.

On a side note the main diffence between the field grade and sporting grade B guns is the stock, barrel lengths, and weight.

#14 ·
Gentlemen,

He did not mention anything about competition. He is shooting a few rounds once a week with his buddies.

Mr. ddhotbot,

Take a look at Verona shotguns. They are well regarded for their quality. See the I love my Verona section of this site. Here is a link for a Verona LX 680 Gold Competition 12 Ga. with 30" barrels. Italian craftsmanship. Nothing Fancy. Matte finish barrels, oil wood, adjustable comb. This would suit you well and hold up for a lifetime of shooting at your current level. $ 1005 including shipping . I am not the seller.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131741062

The best gun for you is one you love, and are confident with.

#15 ·
There is a nice Browning Citori GTI Sporting for sale on the o/u classifieds. I think they are asking like $1,200 for it. That is as nice as any sporting gun will get under $1500. I would jump all over that if I wouldnt have bought one like it a few days ago.

#16 ·
OK. OK. I get it. "Competition" is still the word used if it is only a few local wannabes shooting against each other on Sunday afternoon.

Kinda blurs the definitions though, don't you think? Snobbery? To me this kind of "competition" only requires a shotgun....any shotgun!

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that few of us posting on this particular thread are simply not on the same page where it concerns definitions and shotguns!

I simply responded to a man who was seeking a shotgun for less than$1000.00.
Another poster suggested that $1400.00 won't even buy a legitimate used "competition" gun. I agreed. But then that takes us back to definitions again, right?

Alright, I'll shut up and leave you experts to your pleasures. :roll:

#17 ·
Bulldog50 said:
Gentlemen,

He did not mention anything about competition. He is shooting a few rounds once a week with his buddies.

Mr. ddhotbot,

Take a look at Verona shotguns. They are well regarded for their quality. See the I love my Verona section of this site. Here is a link for a Verona LX 680 Gold Competition 12 Ga. with 30" barrels. Italian craftsmanship. Nothing Fancy. Matte finish barrels, oil wood, adjustable comb. This would suit you well and hold up for a lifetime of shooting at your current level. $ 1005 including shipping . I am not the seller.

Amen, Mr. bulldog!

#18 ·
Ok. Thanks.

Its obvious that you know shotguns, but just judging by what you like in shotguns I can tell you are a hunter and not a regular clay shooter. Nothing wrong with that...

I am just trying to help the poster out as much as I can. And if I feel they are getting bad info, I am going to call that out. The guy wants a skeet gun, I reccomended what would be best for that purpose, and that purpose only. If he wants to use it for hunting, I would reccomend a different gun.

Call me a snob all you want. I call it experience.

To answer the original question. IMO, a good used gun would be better than any new gun you could get for the intended purpose.

#20 ·
TDKK said:
Ok. Thanks.

Its obvious that you know shotguns, but just judging by what you like in shotguns I can tell you are a hunter and not a regular clay shooter. Nothing wrong with that...

I am just trying to help the poster out as much as I can. And if I feel they are getting bad info, I am going to call that out. The guy wants a skeet gun, I reccomended what would be best for that purpose, and that purpose only. If he wants to use it for hunting, I would reccomend a different gun.

Call me a snob all you want. I call it experience.

To answer the original question. IMO, a good used gun would be better than any new gun you could get for the intended purpose.
We are not that far apart, Mr. TDKK. But when one of us is talking oranges and another is disagreeing in apples, little or nothing is settled. We can at least agree that one of us likes Fords trucks while the other likes Dodges or Chevies. Not really! I'd prefer a Toyota Tundra!

And yes, sir, I do respect your knowlege, experience and opinions. You are correct.
I am strictly a hunter. I am rather old now, but as a youth my well deserved nickname was.....shotgun. And it's not hard to figure why they called me that.

I can still take my CD or my more expensive Zoli and shoot circles around most of the local guys who consider themselves "competition" shooters. But that has everything to do with ability and very little to do with the shotgun.

By the way, if heavy shotguns are good as competition guns, why hasn't anyone recommended Huglu?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131436500

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131735412

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131434659

#22 ·
My friend wanted a gun for skeet shooting. He shoots for fun about about once a week. I had two guns to offer him. One was an 90%+ Ithaca/SKB with 28" SK/SK barrels for $600 and the other was a 90% Browning Superposed with 26" SK/SK barrels for $900. He took the Browning after he shot both guns.

The best advice that I could give you would to check out several guns and see which one seems to fit you best. Don't worry about buying a 10 or 13 pound skeet gun until you are shooting alot of rounds. At that point you can have a Perazzi, Kolar or Ljutic made for you.

Also a semi auto such as a Remington M1100, Beretta 390 or even a Browning A5 can fill the bill at alot less money. I bought a very minty M1100 TB skeet for $375 not long ago. It is a good looking and shooting gun.

#23 ·
Bulldog50 said:
Gentlemen,

Mr. ddhotbot,

Speaking of Verona shotguns, Mr. Bulldog. How about this one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =131270798

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.