Shotgun Forum banner

best over-under under $1000 for skeet

28K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  Spankey 
#1 ·
i have a baikal now and it has been a good gun.i am giving it too the boy so i need a new skeet gun.i only shoot skeet on sunday morn with some friends.would i be better off with a good used one or a cheaper new one? thanks

#27 ·
If you get a chance to shoulder a Verona and it seems to fit you well give it a chance.
I really like my 20 ga. I'm not competitive myself but I really enjoy shooting it occasionally on Sunday mornings with a few friends. Guessing the 12 ga would serve you well it if the fit feels right. Just MHO.

B.

#29 ·
I own a 1984 Citori Standard Hunting Model with 28" barrels and Invector tubes. It has three inch chambers, will shoot steel shot, and I'd guess it weighs a tad over eight pounds. I own fancier over and unders,,,but it's as good a gun as anybody could reasonably ever desire.

It's ninety some per cent perfect,,,,still all pretty and shiny,,,,,and I'd be lucky to get a thousand bucks for it,,,,if I was selling.

I'm NOT selling,,,,but somebody somewhere is selling one just like it for less than a thousand bucks. If I somehow lost mine,,,I'd be racing you to buy one just like it right back. :D

#30 ·
There are plenty of outstanding used shotguns on the market for under $1000. In particular, Charles Daly/Miroku, Ithaca/SKB OU's can often be found for around $600 to $700 and standard grade brownings and Berettas are easy to find around $1000.

Guns with fixed chokes and barrels shorter than 30" will generally be the most affordable and will break 100 straight skeet targets just fine if they fit you well and are choked appropriately.

Weagle

#31 ·
If you are going to shoot skeet with a 12 gauge, you had better learn to reload and shoot 7/8 oz loads around 1050 fps when using an over/under, particularly, a light (under 8 lbs) over/under....I know, "recoil does not bother me"...but it will....GUARANTEED...if you shoot a LOT....

If you don't reload get a semiauto. If you do reload and shoot a over/under, here are choices:

New Over/Under Gun:
1. Lanber (loved in Europe) 2097 on sale at CDNN. Reliable.

Used Over/Under Gun:
1. Browning Superposed (better fit/finish, workmanship than Citoris) but a Citori is a good second choice (super-reliable and heavy).
2. Beretta 682 Silver receiver (older, thicker receiver) used..they kick a lot in 12 gauge unless you shoot a tubed 20 gauge set in 12 gauge events.
3. Valmet 412 (hard to find parts. Hyper-reliable and HEAVY which is what you want if you are not shooting tubes).
4. Remington 3200 (forearm will crack, Heavy, reliable but hard to find for the money).

In an over/under, you want a reliable gun that is heavy!

#34 ·
I haven't read this entire thread so I apologize if this has already been mentioned...

Used Browning Citoris with fixed chokes can be had from $800 to $900... If you want this gun specifically for skeet only than have the barrels drilled out skeet/skeet... If you want a lighter gun ~6.75 lbs, get a 20ga... I find no advantage using a 12ga versus a 20ga for Skeet..

Or you can get a fixed choke Citori with IC/Mod that would make a great all around everything gun... It's just that 2nd double shot on skeet would be a bit more challenging with the Modified choke..

#35 ·
I figured that he might get interested in trap. too!

I have not checked with them for quite some time but I think that you might still get a LM6 or a Dyna Bi Gun. A guy at the clup has a LM6 set up for skeet.

#37 ·
ddhotbot said:
what is LM6?
It is a response to my question about Ljutic guns being only single barrels. Unless you have about $12K, you should forget about this one. A little research reveals that only about 28 of these were ever made.

Here's a pic:

#38 ·
Why don't you get another Russian for now. Keep on shooting and have fun. Set up a skeet/sporting gun fund jar and save up for awhile. I'm in that process now but, what I'm looking at is more like $2,500. Browning XS Skeet with adjustable comb and rib. I got bit hard by the skeet bug recently and this is a game I want to learn and get good at. Good to me = can hold my own while shooting and have fun. I just want to do it with a nice gun. I've seen $400 Remmy TB Trap pumps smoke $8000 Peruzzis in trap shoots. It ain't about the cost. Don't burden yourself with having to spend that kind of jack$$$$$$$$$ if it isn't on the books to have a high dollar gun. I ain't interested in any world class shooting or anything it takes to get there. Trying to shoot better sounds like fun.......Getting to world class sounds like a job. I'm just breaking away from the trap game for awhile. While I have plenty of thing to shoot skeet with I'm doing it with my 20 Remmy 1100. Good enough for now until I fill that jar and one day I'll diddly bop my way out to the pads with my XS Skeet. Have fun it ain't no competition, why stress yourself out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.