CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low-recoil ammo for a 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:01 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi,

My girlfriend's mom has a Winchester 1300 Defender 20 ga. for home defense but is reluctant to practice with it because, the one time she brought it to the range, the 2 3/4" slugs she used hurt. Hurt a lot... according to her.

Although there appear to be a lot of "reduced recoil" 12 gauge loads on the market, they apparently don't exist in 20 gauge. I've checked with Remington, Federal, and Winchester.

Does anyone know which 20 gauge loads are best for HD but also have the lowest possible recoil?

Thanks,
John

Post subject: Re: Low-recoil ammo for a 20 gauge?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:50 pm 
Presentation Grade

First, welcome aboard, seeing this is your first posting.

Second... There are two things you'll want to look at on the ammunition. First is the weight of the shot charge it throws. Heavier shot, heavier recoil, given the same velocity. Second one is the velocity, or failing that, "dram equivalent". Lower velocity, lower recoil, given the same amount of shot. And dram equivalent is a rough measure of how powerful a shell it is. Low dram equivalent usually denotes target loads, higher dram equivalent means game loads.

If you can't find any lighter loads in 20 gauge buckshot, you may encourage her to load with some larger birdshot(#4 or so). At "conversational" distances, it's definitely enough to ruin a felon's day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:00 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the helpful information. I had always wondered what "dram" referred to...

I began researching loads based on your recommendations, and found a brand new, low-recoil "target" load offered by Remington. It's called the Premier STS Reduced Recoil in 20 gauge. The shell length is 2 3/4, dram is 2 1/2, with 7/8 oz. of size 8 shot.

Obviously, such a small shot size is not ideal for home defense, but all things considered, wouldn't this suffice for most HD situations? I mean, if 12 gauge buckshot turns a felon into "wet meat" (as one poster put it) wouldn't a load that was significantly less powerful do the job as well?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:33 pm 

jritchie1979 wrote:
Obviously, such a small shot size is not ideal for home defense, but all things considered, wouldn't this suffice for most HD situations? I mean, if 12 gauge buckshot turns a felon into "wet meat" (as one poster put it) wouldn't a load that was significantly less powerful do the job as well?

Shoot the shotgun with these shells at about 7-10 feet into a piece of paper. If they make one big ragged hole, they're going to do the same thing to someone as if you had shot them with a slug.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:44 am 
Sad to say, they just don't make a good penetrating AND low recoil load for 20's. The low bounce 12's are great though, if the gun's size isn't too big for the individual to handle it well. Check firearmstactical.com for the raw data.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

As Grizzly (I think it was) stated, most shot patterns don't start showing any appreciable dispersion til about 5' or so out of the muzzle, even with cylinder choke. With a tighter choke, that range is considerably longer. Inside the non-scatter range, even a fine #7 trap load tends to act like the world's biggest frangible slug. So net effect at spitting distance is going to be a hole you can stick at least 3 fingers into, with numerous subsidiary wound channels as the pellets scatter willy nilly. In sum, it may not be as spectacular as the "hamburger helper" effect of a freight of #4 or #00 buck from a 12 gauge, but certainly likely to make the goblin very unhappy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Remington makes a 2 1/2 dram 7/8 oz low recoil shell in either #8 or #9. I would recommend them. They are a little slower than the regular target load and you can feel the difference in recoil. As mentioned above, at hallway distances they will do the job of discouraging an intruder. Any of those crossing a fence hunting accidents or suicide by shotgun are vivid examples of how potent even the lightest loads at close range are from a shotgun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:35 pm 
Utility Grade

Many thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll purchase some Rem. low-recoil target shells and see how she likes them.

If anyone is familiar with areas in Northern Virginia where you can legally shoot buckshot, I'd love to hear from you. Unfortunately, the range we go to only allows slugs...

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Blue Ridge Arsenal in chantilly allows shot, so long as it's not leadbased (tungsten, bismuth, and frangible are all aok)

Clark Brothers Guns in Warrenton has a free outdoor range, so long as you're shooting ammo you purchased from them. IIRC, they also have a clay-chucker. I'll be down there this friday breaking my shoulder off with the ol' Mossie if you all can come down. :twisted: