Shotgun Forum banner

Pattern Master Choke Tubes

29K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  maggie 
#1 ·
Went to the range this morning with my brother to test our new pattern master tubes with buck shot. I used my 870 3", and he has a 870 3.5". We used Remington 00 buck. At 50 yards He was getting almost identical patterns with his modified choke as the pattern master. I used a full choke and got just a slightly tighter group with the pattern master. We were expecting way tighter groups. For $90 bucks a piece not sure if these tubes are worth keeping. The package the tube came in says "not recommended for use with ammunition using flight control wad cups". Maybe we used the wrong buckshot. Any of you guys have this tube? If so what brand buckshot do you get tight groups with?

#2 ·
I tried the pattern master tube in a M-2 benelli-----I was not impressed at all with the paterns---------sent it back and bought trulock chokes extended hunter, what I found large shot patterned best with extended tubes in factory full or X-full tubes, it seemed that tighter chokes with big shot opened the pattern ie: blown pattern--hope this helps---by far the best tubes I have tried are the trulock tubes --if you have Questions go to their site if more questions call and talk to them they are very helpful!

#4 ·
My experience with the PM in a Beretta Xtrema I was not any improvement in reach or pattern quality. Actually patterning same distance, same load with a Briley Light Full extended had a better distinct pattern circle, solid dispersion in the pattern, and no errant flyers on the edge.

The PM is pricey and not an improvement over Briley extended choke tubes.

#5 ·
Some love them, but I'm not one of them. I could never find the magic shell that mine liked when I was using a Franchi 912. Since I went with an Xtrema I bought the extended Carlson's tubes in Cyl, Sk, IC, and LM and have been happy with the results.

For the money Carlson's are tough to beat. If you're not happy with the PM, maybe return it and check out the Dead Coyote Choke that Carlson's shows towards the bottom of the page. http://www.choketube.com/remington.html

#6 ·
I've got one for my 11-87. I found it gave nice even patterns with steel BB's when compared with the factory tubes. Not necessarily tighter, just more consistent. Patterns stayed circular, while the factory tubes would string vertical or make a more star shaped pattern. It also didn't work well from my 11-87 with the high-velocity (1450+ fps) steel shot. I experimented with it for shooting geese, didn't experiment with it for anything else.

IIRC, the manufacturer recomended you shoot Federal Premium buckshot to get the tightest buckshot patterns with it.

#8 ·
Carlson's will let you return it as well. As far as the inside diameter - I'd call and ask them - They're good people to deal with.

#9 ·
I've patterned alot of buckshot guns,I tried a pattern master and didn't like it at all.

In a 3" gun, try winchester supreme 000 through a factory full.Almost every 3" gun I've patterned shot exelent patterns with this combo.The only 3.5" gun I patterned,shot best with remington 00 through a Jelly head turkey choke.That SBE 2 puts all 18 00s in 13" at a measured 40 yards.

#10 ·
My Remington 870 Express with a 26" barrel and extended Briley .695 choke consistently patterns the Dixie Tri-Ball .60 caliber 3/4th ounce buckshot pellets into a 4 to 5" pattern at 40 yards! The patterns center just above the bead and has the penetration to take the shot from any angle.

You can't ask for more than that from a buckshot load.

Remington - 00 buckshot Pellet Diameter: .325 Weight: 52 grains (actual)

Dixie Slugs - Tri-Ball Pellet Diameter: .602 Weight: 315 grains (actual)

RMc

#15 ·
Richards,It shoots strait now that I went with 3.5" tri-ball,instead of 3".I thought about it, but fund are limited right now.I have one of those sights on a buckmark and love it.I wonder if I can get just the mount part of the speed bead so I could use the sight I already have?

Reeltight,thats a good pattern,I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with that.Just for poops and grins,I would try the 000.If you didn't loose any pellets, you would have 10-70 gr pellets vs. what looks to be 12-54 gr pellets.I had a browning gold that would put all 10 into 9 inches at 40.Sold it for jamming.Have no need for that, no matter how good it shoots.also try the Tri-ball those patterns will blow your mind!

#17 ·
Someone in the know please tell me if Im wrong about the PatternMaster...It is my understanding that it is designed primarily for shot that cannot be heavily constricted (i.e. steel). Instead of constricting the shot for a tight pattern it slows the wad down, thereby the shot comes out w/o interference giving you more consitent pattern and shortening your shot string, which I think is its main goal...I heard someone on this site or another use this analogy....thrown a cup of sand underhanded slowly and decelerate the cup slowly and you get a long string of sand..(that is a standard choke system). Now take that cup of sand and throw it underhand but abruptly stop it at 9:00...It comes out in one big tight ball...that is the Patternmaster affect...The thing is, if this is true, it would be best for a large payload of heavier shot--not 5-15 ball bearings (00, etc).

Am I on the right track?

#18 ·
That is the essence of the Patternmaster. With no constriction, it has a short shot string and more shote gets there at the same time, often producing a "slap" effect on my ducks with steel. With lead, the patterns are not tighter, just very, very even. My Patternmaster Skeet model increased my average score MAYBE half a clay, but they are all breaking cleanly now, with virtually no chips. ('Course, I can still MISS the darn things.) On paper, there were virtually no holes for the clay to slip through.

The first Patternmaster was first designed for Police and Military. Federal buckshot sometimes shoots in one handbreadth at 50 yards. With BIG steel shot, it ususally shoots tighter for me than other chokes because of the lack of constriction. That all being said, I have had it shoot one load wonderfully, and shoot another load from the same manufacturer terribly. TEST YOUR AMMO.

And there is now a disclaimer on the packages that you can't shoot hyper-velocity shotshells with a Patternmaster.

#19 ·
that is what i shoot in 2 benelli,2 remington 870 shotguns. i also have the kicks buck kicker and it shoots almost as close in my guns as the patternmaster.i like the idea of less restriction for buckshot. it just seems logical and i am sure it is safer.imo turkey choke is for turkey shot. i have good luck with briley chokes,primos chokes and indian creek for turkey shot but i go with patternmaster or kicks buck kicker for buckshot.i also dont want to go below .695 on choke id for buckshot.i load a lot of buckshot and i am 100 % sure it is the load to that particular gun and chokeand in another gun it might shoot great. if i make 5 recipes of buckshot 1 will shoot good in 1 gun and 1 good in another. the reason i started loading buckshot is the very reason that was mentioned (i bought these and they shot terrible but these shot good).i take my buddies guns when they have a decent choke and i shoot my loads until i find one that shoots in there guns. the main requirements i have is gun shooting where it is aimed,not a 19.95 choke and a clean gun and then i sat down and go to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.